Post-Apocalyptic books

pure and simply the best serious is Deathland by James Axler, starting with Pilgrimage to hell. The fact that theres close to 50 in the series guarantees weeks of reading enjoyment.

What do you suggest?

I want to read a really good Post-Apocalyptic novel,but I can't find any that aren't biased.I went to James Axler's website and everyone said how GREAT the Deathlands series is,but when they described it ,I couldn't tell if it was for me or not.Any suggestions?

Edit: Makes no sense whatsoever. Bad Toront. Bad.

Biased as in the people that post on his website like him a lot ,so when he writes something crappy ,they still like it because he wrote it.Anyway ,I just want to find a decent book to tide me over.Book reviews usually suck ,but I trust the people here to tell me a good one to read.

Then you meant the book review was biased, not the book. Don't use confusing language like that.

Dr. Bloodmoney forevaaaah!

Read something by Vonnegut. "Slapstick or Lonesome No More" is a nice little PA novel. He's got more PA novels, but I can't seem to motivate myself to get up from my chair, walk all the way to the bookshelves in my living room and look at some of the other titles. Eh, sorry. :roll:

EDIT: "Galápagos" by Kurt Vonnegut. Really good.

James Axler's Deathlands is good, and I think most Fallout fans would atleast *like* it. All the Deathlands books that I've read so far managed to stand alone, so you dont have to worry about being confused if you jump into the series.

The books are very violent at points too though, the point of excess at parts, but hey, Fallout has its violent parts too, so... yeah, give it a try I say.

TorontRayne, take a look at pamedia's book section, they have a pretty large selection, you should be able to find something you like (follow the links to amazon.com to check the reviews).

Yes, that's just a result of the merging...

SYNDIC01.jpg

A great book by the Great KV is 'Cat's Cradle', although not strictly post-apocalyptic, it shows how little it takes to create an apocalypse. The only PA fragments are those after the catastrophe... the last 20 pages or so....

Anyone up for a boko-maro? :)

Do Distopias count? In that case, The Handmaids Tale. An interesting take on a PA world after a major virus outbreak.

Also, Z for Zacharia is a more "realistic" take on a PA world.

I will tell you a book NOT to read; "Xombies!" I can't even remember who wrote it ,but the story was sooooooooo stupid. It was pretty bad.

If nobody minds, I'll mention some comic books...

Punisher: The End and Hulk: The End are good ones. There's also the excellent Hulk: Future Imperfect. Moving along... Grendel Tales has a bit more humankind surviving with some quite freaky specimens.

I will definitely recommend Alas, Babylon, read it in high school and I was really drawn into the story, its more or less about the events leading till the drop of the nukes, not really action packed, but it has its moments, like with highway men and the such

Not really PA in the strictest sense but I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison is a great story. You can read it here.

P.S. Yes, I was reminded of it by a renamed thread in the Vats, so thanks... Silencer... probably.

Back