Should Britain Leave the EU?

the issue with the EU is they have too many countries with different economic levels/sizes.

so what will happen is people from the lower economic countries will move to the higher value economies hoping to raise their station.

and increase the burden on the higher actually dragging down the higher economic countries.

eventually some kind of equilibrium will be reached, but it is of far more benefit to the originally lower economic level states.

Isnt the idea that after the equilibrium is reached europe will be a stronger force in the world overall? I hope Britain does leave the EU, just to see what would happen to the global power structure. I wonder if they would attempt to re establish themselves as an imperial nation or continue with their service economy.

Tagaziel said:
Radman said:
The problem with the EU issue in the UK is its becoming more then a common market, it is becoming more of a single federal state - democracy being centralised and removed from member nations.

How, exactly? Last I heard, MPs are elected directly by the citizens of their member states. Furthermore, national governments do exist and will continue to exist.

Haven't read to see if this has already been mentioned but yes, we do have our own democratic representatives, but the laws they pass can be over rued and changed by the European parliament.

Examples include working hours, the smoking ban, an assortment of rules and regulations, Abu Hamsa and Abu Qatada.

More to the point the president of the EU is totally unelected and has more power than our own elected leaders.

Why is Herman van cock cheese passing laws that affect me?

In the end, the individual government's remain sovereign. They can ignore the EU laws if they want to, but obviously this would probably lead to them leaving. "If you don't follow the clubhouse rules etc."

Radman said:
Haven't read to see if this has already been mentioned but yes, we do have our own democratic representatives, but the laws they pass can be over rued and changed by the European parliament.

The people in the European Parliament ARE our representatives. So you're saying the laws our representatives pass are overruled by our representatives in the Parliament?

It's funny how, whilst yes, it's bad there are appointed officials in the EU making it undemocratic, but then we ourselves have the House of Lords. So if you want to start your fight against the undemocratic in the UK, I'd start there, rather than voting for a party which, as a conservative group, would probably "uphold the glorious institutions of the British establishment", including the HoL.

I just don't see how leaving the EU, when we could try to influence it from the inside, would help anything.

Dirtnap90 said:
Honestly, i question how long the UN will even last.

Nothing to do with this thread, but everyone knows the only reason the UN is failing is because powerful countries choose to ignore it, undermining it. The game fails when the douchey kid stops playing by the rules...

UK should stay in the EU. Free movement, free market. It makes it easier for other European to migrate, work and live in EU countries without much of a problem and it should stay that way. Brussels on the other hand should be reformed, and snus should be let free in the union.

The people in the European Parliament ARE our representatives.

Did you vote for Herman Van Rumpoy, your president?

It's funny how, whilst yes, it's bad there are appointed officials in the EU making it undemocratic, but then we ourselves have the House of Lords.

I am also against the House of Lords.

So if you want to start your fight against the undemocratic in the UK

I don't, I'm expressing my opinion.

conservative group

I'm not a conservative

I just don't see how leaving the EU, when we could try to influence it from the inside, would help anything.

Because we have to pay out the arse on a daily basis for the privilege of having that crumb of influence, while also taking it in the arse from the cock of EU legislation, tax, and law.

I never knew Clegg frequented NMA.

Threepwood said:
The people in the European Parliament ARE our representatives.

Did you vote for Herman Van Rumpoy, your president?
Indirectly, yes. The fact that he is not chosen directly through popular vote does not make his election undemocratic, because those who chose him were all elected by popular vote.

Threepwood said:
Because we have to pay out the arse on a daily basis for the privilege of having that crumb of influence, while also taking it in the arse from the cock of EU legislation, tax, and law.
If anything, the UK (to me) has seemed to have done a terrific job of applying only those things it likes about the EU, really. Do you have any examples or evidence for your claim that the UK is getting nothing out of the EU whatsoever and only "taking it in the arse"? So far your stance seems more dogmatic than evidence-based.

Threepwood said:
I never knew Clegg frequented NMA.

You think I'm Nick Clegg? aww thanks. unlike most daily failists, I don't see that as an insult

You say you're not conservative, and yet you're really sounding like one. Nick Clegg remark aside, your attack on van Rompuy sounded like that UKIP "WHO ARE YOU?" video (he was actually the Belgian Prime Minister, but of course, Belgium is a "non-country")

Whining about Britain "taking it in the arse" just shows how little you know. I'm not an economist, so I'm not going to argue that, but then clearly neither are you.

I'm looking at this politically, and I only see benefits from it. The Human Rights Act and European Courts protect our civil liberties, whereas before there were no codified rights, other than organic common law. By having the EU enforce these rights we are further protected by our own Act (unlike a certain US which happily ignores its own Bill of Rights (Guantamano) You know, we also wanted to create our own Guantamano Bay, but the Human Rights Act prevented it.

However, if it makes your patriotic mind feel any better, Parliament still remains sovereign, and can overturn or modify any law it wants, including the Human Rights Act, regardless of the EU. Technically, we can ignore any law put forward by the EU as well, but then that would undermine our membership.

We have our own representatives, democratically voted by the public, with a proportional voting system. I don't really see how you can complain after that, seeing as they're the ones who vote for the economic policies you apparently hate. The President of the European Council (Rompuy) is appointed by the Council, the Council comprising of democratically elected members of the government parties (in our case from the coalition parties) Besides, the President doesn't have that much power. Farage was just whining at him to prove his own xenophobia, oh and to make a point.

I distinctly made a point of Registering for this topic,

Should we leave the EU? No, we gain allot of rights and positive bonuses, from maximum working week to lots of other rights in the workplace. Imagine working 120 hour weeks? or simply Having no breaks? It happened.

The whole thing about People from Eastern Europe coming here and choking the system is really really stupid, they contribute far more than they take out recent figures show this. The majority of people who fudge the system are residents( White Anglo Saxon etc). After that its Asian gangs, I believe people from the EU came 6th?

UKIP is just really really mental. If they got in i'd leave I would have to. I'm 3rd gen UK and therefore "not British" even though I was born here.

The NHS and Benefits systems are reaching critical point because of one reason. Failure to invest. The government cares about London period. The way they simply ignore large parts of the country No wonder Scotland wants its Independence.

I'm seeing the English Defence League right now and remembering why I hate nationalism so much.

Earth said:
I'm seeing the English Defence League right now and remembering why I hate nationalism so much.

They have hijacked that poor soldiers death distinctly for this too.

demiurg said:
Earth said:

They have hijacked that poor soldiers death distinctly for this too.

What they're doing is possibly one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen recently. I've told friends if I'm ever murdered in a similar attack they're to tell scum like them to piss off to hell where they belong.

Gaspard said:
They'd just label your friends and family jealous of your glory and defame them.

I dunno, if I got my family to mention that I'm also a loony Leftie who reads the Guardian occasionally I think the EDL will suddenly go very quiet, especially if they mention I'm cosmopolitan (though I suspect someone would have to explain to the EDL what that means first)

I say Britain becomes a great empire once more! conquering those lost colonies like India and America!

The sun shall never set on the Glorious British Empire!

God Save the Queen!

Back