Should Britain Leave the EU?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Radman, May 13, 2013.

1. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    the issue with the EU is they have too many countries with different economic levels/sizes.

so what will happen is people from the lower economic countries will move to the higher value economies hoping to raise their station.

and increase the burden on the higher actually dragging down the higher economic countries.

eventually some kind of equilibrium will be reached, but it is of far more benefit to the originally lower economic level states.

2. BonusWaffle

BonusWaffle Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 6, 2013
    Isnt the idea that after the equilibrium is reached europe will be a stronger force in the world overall? I hope Britain does leave the EU, just to see what would happen to the global power structure. I wonder if they would attempt to re establish themselves as an imperial nation or continue with their service economy.

3. Earth

Earth Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 7, 2013
    The EU annoys the right wing of the UK. Thus I love it.

4. Threepwood

Threepwood Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 4, 2010
    Haven't read to see if this has already been mentioned but yes, we do have our own democratic representatives, but the laws they pass can be over rued and changed by the European parliament.

Examples include working hours, the smoking ban, an assortment of rules and regulations, Abu Hamsa and Abu Qatada.

More to the point the president of the EU is totally unelected and has more power than our own elected leaders.

Why is Herman van cock cheese passing laws that affect me?

5. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    The UN? Like the United Nations?

6. Earth

Apr 7, 2013
    In the end, the individual government's remain sovereign. They can ignore the EU laws if they want to, but obviously this would probably lead to them leaving. "If you don't follow the clubhouse rules etc."

The people in the European Parliament ARE our representatives. So you're saying the laws our representatives pass are overruled by our representatives in the Parliament?

It's funny how, whilst yes, it's bad there are appointed officials in the EU making it undemocratic, but then we ourselves have the House of Lords. So if you want to start your fight against the undemocratic in the UK, I'd start there, rather than voting for a party which, as a conservative group, would probably "uphold the glorious institutions of the British establishment", including the HoL.

I just don't see how leaving the EU, when we could try to influence it from the inside, would help anything.

Nothing to do with this thread, but everyone knows the only reason the UN is failing is because powerful countries choose to ignore it, undermining it. The game fails when the douchey kid stops playing by the rules...

7. Dragula

Dragula Stormtrooper oTO Orderite

Nov 6, 2008
    UK should stay in the EU. Free movement, free market. It makes it easier for other European to migrate, work and live in EU countries without much of a problem and it should stay that way. Brussels on the other hand should be reformed, and snus should be let free in the union.

8. Threepwood

Threepwood Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 4, 2010
    Did you vote for Herman Van Rumpoy, your president?

I am also against the House of Lords.

I don't, I'm expressing my opinion.

I'm not a conservative

Because we have to pay out the arse on a daily basis for the privilege of having that crumb of influence, while also taking it in the arse from the cock of EU legislation, tax, and law.

I never knew Clegg frequented NMA.

9. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    Indirectly, yes. The fact that he is not chosen directly through popular vote does not make his election undemocratic, because those who chose him were all elected by popular vote.

If anything, the UK (to me) has seemed to have done a terrific job of applying only those things it likes about the EU, really. Do you have any examples or evidence for your claim that the UK is getting nothing out of the EU whatsoever and only "taking it in the arse"? So far your stance seems more dogmatic than evidence-based.

10. Earth

Apr 7, 2013

11. demiurg

demiurg First time out of the vault

May 25, 2013
    I distinctly made a point of Registering for this topic,

Should we leave the EU? No, we gain allot of rights and positive bonuses, from maximum working week to lots of other rights in the workplace. Imagine working 120 hour weeks? or simply Having no breaks? It happened.

The whole thing about People from Eastern Europe coming here and choking the system is really really stupid, they contribute far more than they take out recent figures show this. The majority of people who fudge the system are residents( White Anglo Saxon etc). After that its Asian gangs, I believe people from the EU came 6th?

UKIP is just really really mental. If they got in i'd leave I would have to. I'm 3rd gen UK and therefore "not British" even though I was born here.

The NHS and Benefits systems are reaching critical point because of one reason. Failure to invest. The government cares about London period. The way they simply ignore large parts of the country No wonder Scotland wants its Independence.

12. Earth

Apr 7, 2013
    I'm seeing the English Defence League right now and remembering why I hate nationalism so much.

13. demiurg

May 25, 2013
    They have hijacked that poor soldiers death distinctly for this too.

14. Earth

Apr 7, 2013
    What they're doing is possibly one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen recently. I've told friends if I'm ever murdered in a similar attack they're to tell scum like them to piss off to hell where they belong.

15. Gaspard

Gaspard Kasparov

May 7, 2009
    They'd just label your friends and family jealous of your glory and defame them.

16. demiurg

May 25, 2013
    Why are they like that though?

17. Gaspard

Gaspard Kasparov

May 7, 2009
    PR - it works on most people.

18. Earth

Apr 7, 2013
    I dunno, if I got my family to mention that I'm also a loony Leftie who reads the Guardian occasionally I think the EDL will suddenly go very quiet, especially if they mention I'm cosmopolitan (though I suspect someone would have to explain to the EDL what that means first)

19. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Archives Overseer

Mar 16, 2013
    I say Britain becomes a great empire once more! conquering those lost colonies like India and America!

The sun shall never set on the Glorious British Empire!

God Save the Queen!