Skyrim Special Edition First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by DirtyOldShoe, Oct 28, 2016.

1. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    As if Skyrim's is much better than Fallout 4's. They both suck ass, I mean just look at this for example:

Why in the hell do you need to waste over half of the screen space in the inventory just to view something like a carrot for example? The way Morrowind did it was just fine. Then you have all the wasted space above and below the list of items for no good reason, the whole thing is borked if you ask me.

Not to mention the interface is so goddamn ugly.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 4
  2. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite Board Cop oTO

Aug 16, 2010
    Ah, ok. Launcher missing data, yeah, that's from Fallout 4. Doesn't really matter on PC, though, does it? I mean, most people use mod managers anyway.
    The rest is stuff from original Skyrim. Sucks hard.
    Also, not surprised at all that the textures are just upscaled. They really don't look all that high res.

No, it's basically just an engine upgrade. Totally useless and definitely not worth any money. It's a nice-to-have when you can get it for free on PC, but all in all it's pointless. The higher resolution makes the characters actually look more plasticky, really.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. Millim

Millim Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite [REDACTED]

Oct 13, 2010
    So a friend of mine got the update for free on his PC.
    His first impressions of it were it looks good.
    But he won't play it for more than 90 seconds.

I guess that seems like fair.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  4. CT Phipps

CT Phipps Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Sep 17, 2016
    I am tempted to get it but I'm too bummed out at the possible crashes. I loved Mafia III but the game became unplayable during the final two sections.

5. DirtyOldShoe

DirtyOldShoe Some kind of lucky

Dec 15, 2015
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  6. SarcasticGoodGuy

SarcasticGoodGuy *R O T T E N*

Aug 31, 2016
    I loved my three course meal but the last meal was served uncooked on a broken plate. But hey I still love the whole meal because 2/3rds were good.

7. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    No, I'm actually genuinely pissed about this and am debating revising my score of it.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. SarcasticGoodGuy

SarcasticGoodGuy *R O T T E N*

Aug 31, 2016
    You're pissed off because you were sold a broken product? Really? Never knew you were that easily angered.

Do it.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. DirtyOldShoe

Dec 15, 2015
    Ha ha ha ha
    HA HA HA HA

10. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    I'm fairly forgiving (collective "NO SHIT") but I do expect the fucking thing to play. Doubly annoying as I'm already 40 hours into the thing.

11. DirtyOldShoe

Dec 15, 2015
  12. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Resident Schizo Poster

Jun 15, 2015
  13. Shardik

Shardik Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 5, 2015
    Even Bethesda's most loyal little YouTube lapdog, Safe Space Matty, says it isn't worth 60 bucks on console if you've played Skyrim before.

He let it drop almost immediately in the video that he got his advance copy two weeks before release - something tells me that'll change with the next Bethesda release. The Toddster never lets go of a grudge.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  14. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Resident Schizo Poster

Jun 15, 2015
    A reviewer on Steam brought up a good point on why the Remaster for Skyrim exist:

"Mods.

Mods are now avaliable for consoles, and that's actually my dear, the main reason you even got Special Edition for free, it's so that you can upgrade your old mods, and publish them on consoles, so that Bethsesda can quickly earn some quick buck on them, and use your created mods as a main selling point.

This so called "Remaster" Was only for console gamers, and the major point of selling this "Special Edition" was PC mods, and that's it.

Bethsesda now uses their community to sell their games. And IT WILL affect their future titles as well, knowing that they can be lazy, and can count on the community to fix every single mistake of theirs."

That is Skyrim Remastered in a nutshell.

• [Like] [Like] x 7
  15. Shardik

Nov 5, 2015
    At this point I wouldn't even say it's nice to have if you get a PC copy for free, especially if you've spent a bunch of time modding your original 32-bit game to get it looking and playing like you want it. Maybe when the updated SKSE rolls out so you can get some of those mods working with the 64-bit engine (assuming the mod authors port them over to the new version) it'll be good to have, but not right now.

16. AlphaSlayerZX

AlphaSlayerZX Deadpan

Oct 12, 2016
    Huh, I didn't expect Matty to be this less of a shill for Skyrim Special Edition.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  17. Shardik

Nov 5, 2015
    A few mores step on the road toward paid mods were taken by Bethesda with this release.

ETA - I think it's kind of funny how Matty and some of these others are acting all shocked that the remaster doesn't have anything in it besides a few slightly improved textures and lighting effects. Did they really think that if Bethesda put any significant new features in it, that they'd be giving it away for free to PC owners?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  18. Shardik

Nov 5, 2015
    This is as close as he'll ever come to leveling harsh criticism at Bethesda.

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  19. AlphaSlayerZX

AlphaSlayerZX Deadpan

Oct 12, 2016
    Yeah, but knowing how big Matty's Bethesda bias is. It wouldn't surprise me if he changed his opinion soon and praise SSE that it's worth every cent no matter what.

20. Shardik

Nov 5, 2015
    It might be kind of funny to sneak over to Matty's little Safe Space at Sugarbombed to see how badly he's being beaten up by his fellow special snowflakes, but I just don't have the stomach for it tonight. :yuck:

• [Like] [Like] x 1