Skyrim Special Edition First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by DirtyOldShoe, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Shardik

Shardik Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 5, 2015
    Another thing to consider is this - will Bethesda decide to carry over the voiced player character from Fallout 4 to the next TES? No one really believes they're going to increase the money they spend on voice acting by at least a factor of 10, do they? Which means they're going to have to do one of three things if they do;

1. Hire four VAs to do the female and male player dialog with American and European accents, then use post-processing and other mixing board gimmicks to alter the accents enough to apply to all of the playable races - needless to say, that would turn out even worse than it sounds here.
    2. Hire amateurs and people they can drag in off the street who will work for next to nothing. Again, that'll be cringe-worthy, and SAG-AFTRA will flay them alive for it.
    2. Cut way down on the number of playable races, maybe nothing more than generic human and generic elf. Orcs and beast races would still be in the game, but only as NPCs.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  2. DirtyOldShoe

DirtyOldShoe Some kind of lucky

Dec 15, 2015
    I think it will be more of a hybrid. They will probably revert to the old ways but with a mostly silent protag. Meaning no scene dialogue, full dialogue control, but a Dynasty warriors style of your character talking during some actions, just not contextual dialogue. Of course I think the best option is to improve on Skyrim's style where you can have unlimited choices, not limited to VA for a player. I would like if there was a voice for each sex and for each race. Morrowind was the only title to do this, they did not expand upon this, the stripped it away. Oblivion had (Beast male/female)(Orc/Nord Male/Female)(Elf Male/Female)(Breton Male/Female)(Imperial Male/Female) and (Redguard Male/Female)
    Skyrim for player Character has (Human Male/Female)(Elf Male/Female)(Orc Male/Female)(Khajiit Male/Female)(Argonian Male/Female) But not all sounds are custom as all males and females all use the same sound file when catching breath from water, Only custom ones are Orc, Male Elf, Male human, Female human, Female Orc when it comes to shouts. Very limited when you know they paid voice actors like Popeye next to nothing.

3. Shardik

Nov 5, 2015
    It's going to be nasty however they choose to go about it, at any rate. The TES fans are for the most part against the voiced PC (many of them vehemently so, and especially after seeing it in action in Fallout 4) while the FO4 console kiddies are pretty much completely for it. No matter what they do, they're going to piss off a large chunk of their existing fan base. The question then becomes which group will they choose to hack off, and which group they choose to pander to.

And of course, Bethesda being Bethesda, we can't rule out the possibility that they'll piss everyone off equally.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  4. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't think they'll do the voiced protagonist in the next TES. Their little experiment with that in Fallout 4 failed, they won't risk it. But maybe they'll try another TES: Adventures or Legend game that focuses on a fixed character some day?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. Shardik

Nov 5, 2015
    Has anyone noticed the Toddster bragging to his game media pals, or Pete Hines crowing all over Twitter, about how the Shortbus Edition is "shattering all sales records"? From my end that's conspicuously absent, and they sure as hell weren't shy about waving their dicks around when FO4 released.

6. omphaloskepsis

omphaloskepsis First time out of the vault

Dec 13, 2015
    Cyrrodilll used to be a jungle. Until they implemented it and it wasn't anymore. There are a tiny percent of people who get angry about these changes, but they're mostly Bethesda junkies looking for that next fix, so no worries there. The console kids can't remember that far back and couldn't care less.

Also, while I'd love to see Black Marsh or Elsweyr, they're alien and have foreign-type creature people, so probably considered a bad move by marketing. Unless they dilute everything that makes those places interesting.

I hope not. Not from Bethesda. That would mean procedural generation and would require years of work on a new Unique Landscapes-like project to fix. It's not that I wouldn't like to see it, I just don't see how Bethesda could pull that off. without exaggerating all of the mistakes in Fallout 4.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  7. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Snug Rubber

Sep 11, 2010
    Been saying it for years now, the people over at Bethesda are incompetent. :V

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. DirtyOldShoe

Dec 15, 2015
    Do you guise think I should just make the bug post a thread? I found a number more of them and they are awful. I think I might know the cause.

9. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Snug Rubber

Sep 11, 2010
    This made me chuckle, what a piece of shit the special edition will turn out to be. Let's rerelease a game that isn't in the hype now and which most people have moved on from and updated the ##-bit so that SKSE no longer works so that any mods that rely on it has to be remade. Surely the modders will come back to create updates, right!? Right...?

Then again, this really is just for the console players who can't use SKSE or its mods in the first place so I guess Bethesda just simply don't give a shit.

I'm sure Nexus will be fun to navigate too. Now modders have to make a disclaimer that states what version their mods are for or the mod user will have to trial and error his/her way through crashes.

What a shit-show. I love it.

Eh... I dunno if it really warrants its own thread. You could edit your OP in this thread, put in a spoiler tag and then just list anything you find in there so it'll be easier for people to see just what kind of issues are plaguing special skyrim.

• [Like] [Like] x 6
  10. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    Why didn't they integrate the most important mods and compensate and/or credit the modders that created the content? Without mods like SkyUI being ported to the "new" version they might as well call it the "Skyrim Demastered Edition". Seems they still haven't mastered UI real estate and convenience.

The whole game is a bug with as much as it seems to be gathering.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  11. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Snug Rubber

Sep 11, 2010
    Far better name for this product.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  12. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    Well this is something alright:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods...kyrim_special_edition_features_a_significant/

Wow so it really is a Skyrim Demastered Edition, upscaled textures AND extremely compressed audio that sounds even worse then the original version's. :lol:

• [Like] [Like] x 8
  13. Shardik

Nov 5, 2015
    I thought I read somewhere that Nexus was going to set up a separate section for the Shortbus Edition.

14. DirtyOldShoe

Dec 15, 2015
    Done, added two more and decided not to share the cause of the "out of bounds" issue on all platforms and the solution, because I would rather the ship sink.

15. AgentBJ09

AgentBJ09 Vault Dweller

Jul 9, 2015
    • [Like] [Like] x 2
  16. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Snug Rubber

Sep 11, 2010
    Right, well at least Nexus knows how to fucking solve something.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  17. Shardik

Nov 5, 2015
    GG Bethesda, for fucking up the one thing that really didn't need much "improvement".

Supposedly Bethesda's looking at a "fix" for this - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-fixing-reported-skyrim-remastered-audio-d/1100-6444930/. How many GB will that download be?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  18. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Shoot me again. I ain't dead yet. Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005
    Guys this shouldn't be a surprise. It took Bethesda weeks to change a typo on a perk that had an extra 0. Literally opening up the editor and deleting the 0 is all that was required. Weeks.

• [Like] [Like] x 9
  19. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    So, it's worse than Moded Skyrim. No surprises there. Maybe I'll install the old one and mod it to shit and back again.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  20. RangerBoo

RangerBoo I torture myself playing shitty games.

Jun 15, 2015
    What are you guys talking about? Skyrim Remastered improve the game so much by brighting the game by 3 percent!
    Cv-n5mwVIAIUBeL.jpg Why I don't know how I ever played Skyrim as it was in the original! I now see that its was inferior! I am now a shill for Bethesda now thanks to the epicness of Skyrim's Remastered! Thank you Todd "I'm going to climb that mountain" Howard! :V

• [Like] [Like] x 5