So Our Protagonist Is Over 200 Years Old

It's a solid (if not sure) bet the kid survives. Possibly your spouse, too, but almost certainly the kid. They probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of generating it according to the genetics of the two customizable parents unless you were going to see it again. My guess is you get separated during the chaos and the kid either doesn't make it into the vault or ends up leaving before you. If you don't meet up again with the kid themself, you'll likely run into a descendant or two at some point and/or see some evidence of the life they lived.

200 years after the war? Darn it all bethesda, always borking things up with the timeline aren't you? It's fallout 3 all over again only you are the father looking for the kid this time i bet.
Um, no, it plainly says "You awaken as the SOLE SURVIVOR of Vault 111". Your spouse and child are D-E-A-D DEAD! There is no finding your child.

Well... if your wife and child never made it into the vault, they were never *of* Vault 111 to begin with, no? And besides, to you, waking up in cryo (which I'm going to say is a 95% lock, those Kotaku leaks looking to have been real at this point and logic backing them up), if everyone else is already dead or gone... well, from the player's perspective, that makes you the sole survivor. As you pointed out, Todd *did* say he wasn't going to spoil any story details.

Hey, maybe the kid got taken in by the Institute and you find out what happened to him by finding the android they booted his memories into :razz:

(Seriously, Bethsoft have come a long way but they've always acknowledged that story and sophistication aren't their strong suits, so it really doesn't make sense to get spun up at all by speculation that they will continue to hold to their own line. They've already shown us they want to highlight the synth presence in the games by both their tease of the mysterious cyborg and the combat synths in the gameplay trailer. The odds that the one Boston faction they revealed in the last game (a morally questionable tech juggernaut, no less, a typical Fallout plot staple since the beginning) isn't going to play an important role in events is close to zero.)

It's a solid (if not sure) bet the kid survives. Possibly your spouse, too, but almost certainly the kid. They probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of generating it according to the genetics of the two customizable parents unless you were going to see it again. My guess is you get separated during the chaos and the kid either doesn't make it into the vault or ends up leaving before you. If you don't meet up again with the kid themself, you'll likely run into a descendant or two at some point and/or see some evidence of the life they lived.

200 years after the war? Darn it all bethesda, always borking things up with the timeline aren't you? It's fallout 3 all over again only you are the father looking for the kid this time i bet.
Um, no, it plainly says "You awaken as the SOLE SURVIVOR of Vault 111". Your spouse and child are D-E-A-D DEAD! There is no finding your child.

Well... if your wife and child never made it into the vault, they were never *of* Vault 111 to begin with, no? And besides, to you, waking up in cryo (which I'm going to say is a 95% lock, those Kotaku leaks looking to have been real at this point and logic backing them up), if everyone else is already dead or gone... well, from the player's perspective, that makes you the sole survivor. As you pointed out, Todd *did* say he wasn't going to spoil any story details.

Hey, maybe the kid got taken in by the Institute and you find out what happened to him by finding the android they booted his memories into :razz:

(Seriously, Bethsoft have come a long way but they've always acknowledged that story and sophistication aren't their strong suits, so it really doesn't make sense to get spun up at all by speculation that they will continue to hold to their own line. They've already shown us they want to highlight the synth presence in the games by both their tease of the mysterious cyborg and the combat synths in the gameplay trailer. The odds that the one Boston faction they revealed in the last game (a morally questionable tech juggernaut, no less, a typical Fallout plot staple since the beginning) isn't going to play an important role in events is close to zero.)

Did they say that about their storytelling? I wish they'd hire Chris Avellone since he's not with Obsidian anymore.

Do we actually know that there is a kid alive? was it mentioned in the leaks? Because to me the comment from the presentation meant that if you change your protagonist features during char gen, it will also effect the baby in the crib i.e. no black folks and white baby...

Well they wouldn't bother going through the bother of making a baby that changes with your character just to do nothign with it after the intro right? I mean it's the same principle with Dad James in 3 and they even hired Liam Neeson to voice him and half of the story is focused on him.

Bother? how many adjustable parameters there are 5/10? I presume that it shouldn't take more then an hour to write something that extrapolate the same likeliness i.e. ~same skin\eye color based on dominant traits.

I mean why would they bother to call attention to it on the presentation or even the intro in general? I am just applying the Chekov's gun rule here, who knows maybe they'll do nothing with it but it seems like a completely pointless thing to even have if they don't do anything with it afterwards.

I thought you don't believe that beth is cable of nuance, but now you suggest that your arch-nemesis Todd dropped a Chekov's gun on us... Hard to believe isn't it :wiggle:

FYI todd also noted that they have 1000 recorded names... But, I agree it is plausible, I was just wondering if we have any indication for it beside that comment..

Chekov¡s gun isn't really a sign of nuance. It's just kind of a basic writting plot point archetype.

All serviceable options, though no one but no one is going to be happy if it turns out your character is a synth. If they're not looking to Shyamalan us, cryogenics or some form of similar preservation would be the most likely possibility. We've already seen the technology in use in Vault 112 and at the Sierra Army Depot.

The only issue is, in the S.A.D., the Private you released decomposed seconds in his second life.

All serviceable options, though no one but no one is going to be happy if it turns out your character is a synth. If they're not looking to Shyamalan us, cryogenics or some form of similar preservation would be the most likely possibility. We've already seen the technology in use in Vault 112 and at the Sierra Army Depot.

The only issue is, in the S.A.D., the Private you released decomposed seconds in his second life.

True, but there's nothing to say that post-cryogenic syndrome is a universal effect of the process, just a danger. A Project Safehouse experiment designed for long-term cryogenic storage (provided it was actually designed to work) is probably more likely to have adequate decanting and revival facilities than an obsolete second-string military outpost, anyway, I'd think.

Did they say that about their storytelling? I wish they'd hire Chris Avellone since he's not with Obsidian anymore.

Oh My God, it's you, isn't it? And you've been working with them in secret all along, haven't you Chris? The jig is up!

In all honesty I'm too lazy to deal with the extra windows and mishegoss of googling specific citations on a smartphone browser, but it's more a case of reading between the lines for a decade or so-- what they've been vocal about prioritizing or drawing attention to, what they've downplayed or minimized, offhand messageboard and blog comments and sly digs at the Glittering Gem demographic and their (our) priorities. They know their strengths and what people look for in a Bethesda exploration sandbox, and they've traditionally prioritized their resources and focus accordingly since roughly around Oblivion. Like I said, this has been changing, of late. Maybe we'll get a narrative in Fallout 4 that's a little closer in strength and nuance to Morrowind than Mothership Zeta this time.

Last edited:
it's pretty apparent YUR FAMBLY will serve no other purpose than being a tool used to make you traipse around the wastes going from point A to point B like Liam Neeson to railroad you into seeing all the SUPERKEWL stuff Beth no doubt has in store for us. You'll probably have to choice but to bask in all the memes, wouldn't even be surprised if there are on rails turret sections.

Chris Avellone said he is the Teacher of defense against the dark arts... maybe he is working on something Harry Potter related? That would be hilarious.

Chris Avellone said he is the Teacher of defense against the dark arts... maybe he is working on something Harry Potter related? That would be hilarious.

I'm definitely keeping an eye out for whatever his next project is.

it's pretty apparent YUR FAMBLY will serve no other purpose than being a tool used to make you traipse around the wastes going from point A to point B like Liam Neeson to railroad you into seeing all the SUPERKEWL stuff Beth no doubt has in store for us. You'll probably have to choice but to bask in all the memes, wouldn't even be surprised if there are on rails turret sections.

It sounds like your family isn't even a part of it besides the pre-war prologue.

And this becomes the primary conflict regarding faction choice (or vice versa) for the PC - touching/complex moments all around.

Can you still identify the kid as your kin or are they too far removed from your genetics (or the opposite of this situation).

You know what annoys me? Todd Howard saying Fallout is about the feeling of loss and desire to return to Pre War.

Please... Please someone somehow beat into his head that's a bunch of crap.
Fallout is about making use of the life people of the past made for them. It's about the next bloody chapter of humanity. This is something Fallout New Vegas understood explicitly. Most people don't and realistically shouldn't really know of the Pre War, and realistically shouldn't even care about it. The humans of Fallout realistically would be more worried about that deathclaw around the corner, that thug across the street, and their growling bellies spelling impending doom if food is not found.

Fallout is moving on and acceptance, not regret and attempted return.

From the wise words of Mr House, "If you want to see the fate of democracy, look out the window."

THe pre war world wasn't an utopia, before the bombs fell it was already pretty dystopic and the bright and optimist outlook was a shell made of propaganda. House himself detests the idea of going back to what it was, and the dude was a trillionare then. Also it's been 200 years people shouldn't even care about returning to it beyond it just being a myth. If our gruff marine of a protagonist is actually a war veteran and not an Android with fake memories he shouldn't be longing for those times to be back.

THe pre war world wasn't an utopia, before the bombs fell it was already pretty dystopic and the bright and optimist outlook was a shell made of propaganda. House himself detests the idea of going back to what it was, and the dude was a trillionare then. Also it's been 200 years people shouldn't even care about returning to it beyond it just being a myth. If our gruff marine of a protagonist is actually a war veteran and not an Android with fake memories he shouldn't be longing for those times to be back.

Bethesda will butcher the lore again, the demo proves it.
The Prewar was falling apart before the bombs because oil ran out. Oil prices literally became over millions a gallon. I've read the entire Fallout timeline.

You know what annoys me? Todd Howard saying Fallout is about the feeling of loss and desire to return to Pre War. [..]

Are sure that you understood him correctly?

It is kind of hard to define what FO is to everyone, but I agree that the contrast between RL 50s optimistic view of the world and the stark reality is by large what set the mood/tone for the games. Although I suspect that what Todd meant was that the protagonist in FO4, who blinked away 200years, will be motivated by his still fresh loss..

The Prewar was falling apart before the bombs because oil ran out. Oil prices literally became over millions a gallon. I've read the entire Fallout timeline.
Are you suggesting that all US was equally effected, and that the suburb hosing vault tech applicants and army veterans, that is almost certainly were subsidized and possibly part of propaganda machine, is implausible?

p.s. at the very least it will be a better beginning then that of FO2.

Back