So Our Protagonist Is Over 200 Years Old

Discussion in 'Future Fallout Game Discussion' started by X12, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    What war do you guys think Mr. 111 served on? The resource Wars or the Reclamation of Anchorage? Because if he served on the first he would know how fickle America's prosperity was then, and if he served on the later he would have had to execute civillians and face all the backlash of the occupation of the place and the eventual anexation of Canada. In any case they could just be living in a waspy neighborhood I guess.

2. Reaper Shackal

Reaper Shackal King of the Dominion

Jun 19, 2015
    I'm pretty sure the Fallout lore states everything was in an uproar before the bombs were launched. Riots everywhere.

3. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    We get to fly on a Vertibird and build our own armor, what else do you want?

4. TheGreatCornholio

TheGreatCornholio First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2015
    Quests that make sense, actions that have consequences

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. fred2

fred2 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 2, 2013
    That doesn't answer my question... I agree that opposition to government measures was prevalent across the country, however, I strongly doubt that riots were literally everywhere and specifically your suggestion that military\vault hood seen in the trailer isn't plausible because of the former.

6. Graham2077

Graham2077 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 16, 2014
    I agree with this. I've always looked at Fallout as a quest to try and rebuild humanity. The please stand by screen has always intrigued me, like it's put there as a way of saying that humanity is on pause, but ultimately humans will probably never go back to the way it was pre-war because they're savages. I feel like Randall Clark was a good example of this, a really relatable character who wanted to end it all quickly but ended up helping people and doing good at the end of his life. That's just my take it on it anyway, I feel like Todd Howard does have good intentions for the fallout franchise, but the way he sees the game is the same way that the "casuals" do. Guns, monsters, and blowing shit up.

The protagonist being 200 years old is interesting, but I doubt that the explanation for this is going to be very satisfactory.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  7. Yamu

Yamu Le Fromage Vieux oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 26, 2003
    I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, honestly. They seem to have come a fair way from 3 and Oblivion, and the cryo thing actually already seems to be a much more sensible, serviceable jumping off point than Fallout 3 (or even Fallout 2) gave us. I'm not expecting the moon and the stars, but, accepting the fact that the past has a far greater sense of immediacy in Bethesda's wasteland than it did with the originals, it could lead to some good storytelling opportunities.

8. Reaper Shackal

Jun 19, 2015
    It doesn't seem likely, in my opinion, that anyone would be in a happy and dandy state when riots are occurring everywhere, even if mostly everywhere. They'd be preparing for the worst.

9. Reaper Shackal

Jun 19, 2015
    He might not even truely see it that way. In fact, this just might be eating at him inside.
    At the end of the day though, its all about the money. If he doesn't accept that, he gets fired.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  10. The Doctor

The Doctor Veteran of The Divide

Jun 6, 2015
    Wait, so the father at the start of the game is the player character that walks out of the Vault?

Could've sworn the player character was the child grown up

11. Yamu

Yamu Le Fromage Vieux oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 26, 2003
    Pretty sure it's the dad (or mom, if you choose to play as a female). I could be wrong, the kid may have just grown up to really, really look like one of the parents. It makes more sense to me that they'd let you play as one of the characters you customized directly instead of making you do both parents in painstaking detail and hoping the genetics shook out how you wanted them to for your main character, though.

12. The_Time_Master

The_Time_Master First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2015
    What, you think you are playing a game worked on by Tim Cain?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  13. EnclaveKnight

EnclaveKnight It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 6, 2013
    Honestly, I think it will add a whole bunch of good RP opportunities. Will I be able to adjust quickly to survive? What will I do to salvage this world? Can I be like Nolan from Defiance? What else is possible?

14. fred2

fred2 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 2, 2013
    That is your opinion. When FO2 came, most thought that talking deathclaws were not just unlikelly but stupid, so? We also used to think that when the bombs fell, humanity went with them, save for the vaults. However FO2 introduced New Reno and FO:NV landed New vegas on top.. (Funny how New Reno tone, which wasn't well received at first became the foundation of FO:NV)

Back to our case: riots =/= anarchy, and almost certainly there were still people who supported the government and armed forces, starting from various loyalist/military factions(e.g. enclave) and their families, various people who benefited during war time or had a lot to loose, people fed on propaganda and those who wanted to believe in it, etc... and don't forget the big guys in power armor with min-guns that keep the peace (Considering that the Vualts could only hold 1% of the population, its most certainly that surrounding location were isolated and heavily protected, as seen in the trailer)

15. TheGreatCornholio

Jun 16, 2015
    The question was what do you want not what do you expect

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  16. Reaper Shackal

Jun 19, 2015
    The fact that we're debating this makes me upset that, one side is now officially correct. I'm going to miss that mystery of the past Fallout had.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  17. Battlecross

Battlecross Banned

Jun 17, 2015
    It doesn't say everywhere anywhere, nothing is everywhere.

18. X12

X12 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 8, 2012
    Who says they wont have that? We have not even seen a quest? And, I noticed when talking to the robot that there was a "yellow" option, meaning their could be a "no, i think i'll just kill you" red speech option, which will make a previously unkillable character killable. The dialogue choice is just to make sure you dont kill someone by accident.

19. TheGreatCornholio

Jun 16, 2015
    I never said it wont have that, The question what more do you want was asked and I answered

20. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    "Is to make sure you don't kill someone by accident".
    Talk about hand holding....

• [Like] [Like] x 2