The Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Kalessin, May 4, 2006.

1. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    No. I'm just saying it ain't that easy to get in Germany.

2. PhredBean

PhredBean Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jul 14, 2004
    No, M240s are for the Army, the AirForce gets the M60s from the Army, and if they do get a M240, it goes to the SPs.

And no, I didn't have any trouble. I actually had less issues with it than the damned thirty year old M16A1 "upgraded" to an A2 that I'd been originally issued.

3. Vicious_Squid

Vicious_Squid First time out of the vault

Feb 4, 2007
    No, it's not a crapass round. Although someone used the same argument against what I said about the 9mm... this is obviously diffferent. How many countries have the 5.56 in service? And how long they've had it in service should be a good indicator as well.

Yes, I agree that overpenetration is not an issue in a military load. And yes, the .308 is superior to the 5.56. But the 5.56 was chosen because of its widespread versatility... but needs to be used for only the applications that it was intended for (engagements 300 meters or in, I don't see the point in the Mk 262 77 grain when you could just have a 7.62). The path, trajectory is generally the same as the 7.62 up to 400 meters.

Well perhaps that's why they developed the 6.8mm. I doubt anyone would complain about the stopping power then, a .270 caliber bullet would do just fine to take someone down (and the 6.8mm has about the same trajectory as the 5.56)

Yeah, the M16 is stupid because it's too long, the barrel doesn't have to be 20", 14.5" is all you need for the 5.56 to be accurate and produce enough velocity/pressure.

In any case, I know they've been using M14s/M14 DMRs (Marines)/M14 SEI-EBR (Army) a lot, but I still gather that the 5.56 works well for close up fighting.

4. Vicious_Squid

Vicious_Squid First time out of the vault

Feb 4, 2007
    Gun wielding, yes. Psychos, no. Psychos shouldn't own firearms. I, along with thousands (if not millions) of others, are responsible law-abiding citizens. I would never point a firearm at someone unless they were threatening the lives of me, my family, my friends, or any other responsible citizen. It's called civil vigilance.

5. DirtyDreamDesigner

DirtyDreamDesigner Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 15, 2005
    Vicious_Squid, don't double post, FFS, use the EDIT button.

6. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    We *are* talking about Fallout fans, aren't we? ;-)

Most people threatening the life of anyone surely were "responsible law-abiding citizens" once. And where does "threatening the lives of..." start?

7. Muff

Muff Water Chip? Been There, Done That

May 5, 2006
    Its a shame I live in the UK because I would love to own a few rifles that I cannot own over here due to tight gun laws. I like to collect old Battle rifles mostly from WW2.

Hears what I have:-

Mk 4 Enfield chambered for 7.62 NATO
    M1903 Springfield in 30-06
    Mauser 98K in 7.98mm

I own a few cheap shotguns for hunting but I don't go as much as I would like.

Here is a list of what i would like to own but can't:-

M1 Garrand.
    SLR (British version of the FN FAL)
    AK47
    SKS
    SVD
    M14
    M16

I know you can buy the M14 an M16 in the UK but they are straight pull type actions an i prefair the weapons to be as original as passable i.e. matching serial numbers correct furniture.

8. LOCKDWN

LOCKDWN First time out of the vault

Feb 24, 2007
    What I have:

North American Arms .22LR

KG-9

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine

Ultra Star 9mm

BushMaster CAR-15

Ruger 10/22

Savage .223

Used to have a Mossberg 500, but I traded it for a Superior Tattoo kit

9. [PCE]el_Prez

[PCE]el_Prez Vault Fossil

Apr 25, 2003
    Just got one of these

80 bucks

10. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    Holy shit that's cheap. I can't even buy a third of a proper cymbal for that, let alone an actual gun.

Also, I just watched the most excellent Lord of War. Fun stuff, a shitload of guns and other military equipment supposedly rented from real gunrunners for the movie.

11. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    how does it fire Prez? 7.62x54mm gives one hell of a kick! (the long barrel saves you some pain though)

did you check where it was made? and did you get a bayonet to go with it? :)
    no MN is complete without a bayonet!

(and i'm forced to add with some pride: great belgian-russian design ;) )

PS: Mosin-Nagants are 'cheap' here too Sander. should be easy to find some between 100 and 250 euros.

12. [PCE]el_Prez

Apr 25, 2003
    I haven't fired it yet but I'm not conserned about kick of any kind. It's got a bayonet attached - pretty awesome. The WWII nostalgia alone was worth the 80 bucks.

13. Muff

May 5, 2006
    Mosin-Nagant love it Prez, is it a modern copy or is it original?

14. [PCE]el_Prez

Apr 25, 2003
    How do you know for sure? It's got writing i cant read (assuming it's russian) engraved and I spotted a Hammer and Sickle on the inside of the sling.

15. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    give me the serial and distinguishing marks & i'll find out for you.

16. Foul Ole Ron

Foul Ole Ron First time out of the vault

Apr 5, 2007
    gun owner

myself, just a little lee-enfield .22 and my grandfathers old SMLE converted to .410 shotie

but my bro now owns a 13.9 mm (.55in) boys anti-tank rifle, looking forward to shooting that baby.... just hope my shoulder holds up to the recoil of "Charlie the bastard"

me...

17. Dove

Dove Half-way Through My Half-life
    Orderite

Dec 2, 2003
    How come I haven't replied to this thread?...

I own a Springfield Armory XD - .45 acp.

For work, issued a Glock 19 and or a Remington 870.

When I go to work for LVMPD I'll carry my XD.

Used to carry an M-16A2/M-203, occasionally an M-249 in the Army.

18. [PCE]el_Prez

Apr 25, 2003
    XDs are cool by why not go w/ the model 1911? Are you really gonna need more than 8 shots? One hit w/ .45 ACP is devastating, add hollowpoints into the equation and thats more than enough.

19. Dove

Dove Half-way Through My Half-life
    Orderite

Dec 2, 2003
    1911's are my favorite pistol of all time, but it's not as feasible for patrol duty.

SWAT would be a different story, since I'd be carrying it safety off and ready to rock. Glock's and XD's are point and shoot, much better for a panic situation. Hi capacity magazines can really come in handy when the fat hits the fire.

Hydra shoks own standard hollows.

20. Muff

May 5, 2006
    In a tactical situation I like the Mp5 and also a combat shotgun.