The Guns and Ammo Thread

SuAside said:
@ B666: did you fail to notice the site from which the picture is taken is a German gunselling website?
No. I'm just saying it ain't that easy to get in Germany.

SuAside said:
No M240 for you Phred? (although it'd be a bitch to carry around) :)

Didn't you run into reliability problems with the M60?
No, M240s are for the Army, the AirForce gets the M60s from the Army, and if they do get a M240, it goes to the SPs.

And no, I didn't have any trouble. I actually had less issues with it than the damned thirty year old M16A1 "upgraded" to an A2 that I'd been originally issued.

5.56mm is a crapass round... useless over longer range (as illustrated in Iraq), is unreliable for a takedown, often won't even penetrate light cover at all, etc...
i also hate the "maim rather than kill"-attitude to developing the 5.56mm.

in the .308's case, overpenetration is a good thing (as an army/war cartridge). ;)

No, it's not a crapass round. Although someone used the same argument against what I said about the 9mm... this is obviously diffferent. How many countries have the 5.56 in service? And how long they've had it in service should be a good indicator as well.

Yes, I agree that overpenetration is not an issue in a military load. And yes, the .308 is superior to the 5.56. But the 5.56 was chosen because of its widespread versatility... but needs to be used for only the applications that it was intended for (engagements 300 meters or in, I don't see the point in the Mk 262 77 grain when you could just have a 7.62). The path, trajectory is generally the same as the 7.62 up to 400 meters.

My personal opinion is that 5.56 is pure shit for anything bigger than a cayote and that there is no excuse to be using anything lsmaller than a .30 caliber in a rifle or a .38 in a pistol or SMG against human targets. People don't go down reliably. One person might fall to a .22LR in the gut while another will keep coming after three .45 rounds in the chest, I've heard it all and I've seen many strange cases myself. The safest route is the best, accuracy and first hit kills should be a priority.

Well perhaps that's why they developed the 6.8mm. I doubt anyone would complain about the stopping power then, a .270 caliber bullet would do just fine to take someone down (and the 6.8mm has about the same trajectory as the 5.56)

Yeah, the M16 is stupid because it's too long, the barrel doesn't have to be 20", 14.5" is all you need for the 5.56 to be accurate and produce enough velocity/pressure.

In any case, I know they've been using M14s/M14 DMRs (Marines)/M14 SEI-EBR (Army) a lot, but I still gather that the 5.56 works well for close up fighting.

You all scare me. Boy, am _I_ glad I live in Germany and don't have to fear meeting any of you gun wielding psychos :mrgreen:

Gun wielding, yes. Psychos, no. Psychos shouldn't own firearms. I, along with thousands (if not millions) of others, are responsible law-abiding citizens. I would never point a firearm at someone unless they were threatening the lives of me, my family, my friends, or any other responsible citizen. It's called civil vigilance.

Vicious_Squid said:
Gun wielding, yes. Psychos, no.
We *are* talking about Fallout fans, aren't we? ;-)

Vicious_Squid said:
I, along with thousands (if not millions) of others, are responsible law-abiding citizens. I would never point a firearm at someone unless they were threatening the lives of me, my family, my friends, or any other responsible citizen. It's called civil vigilance.
Most people threatening the life of anyone surely were "responsible law-abiding citizens" once. And where does "threatening the lives of..." start?

Its a shame I live in the UK because I would love to own a few rifles that I cannot own over here due to tight gun laws. I like to collect old Battle rifles mostly from WW2.

Hears what I have:-

Mk 4 Enfield chambered for 7.62 NATO
M1903 Springfield in 30-06
Mauser 98K in 7.98mm

I own a few cheap shotguns for hunting but I don't go as much as I would like.

Here is a list of what i would like to own but can't:-

M1 Garrand.
SLR (British version of the FN FAL)
AK47
SKS
SVD
M14
M16

I know you can buy the M14 an M16 in the UK but they are straight pull type actions an i prefair the weapons to be as original as passable i.e. matching serial numbers correct furniture.

What I have:

North American Arms .22LR

KG-9

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine

Ultra Star 9mm

BushMaster CAR-15

Ruger 10/22

Savage .223

Used to have a Mossberg 500, but I traded it for a Superior Tattoo kit

Just got one of these

534px-Mosin-Nagant.jpg

80 bucks

Holy shit that's cheap. I can't even buy a third of a proper cymbal for that, let alone an actual gun.

Also, I just watched the most excellent Lord of War. Fun stuff, a shitload of guns and other military equipment supposedly rented from real gunrunners for the movie.

how does it fire Prez? 7.62x54mm gives one hell of a kick! (the long barrel saves you some pain though)

did you check where it was made? and did you get a bayonet to go with it? :)
no MN is complete without a bayonet!

(and i'm forced to add with some pride: great belgian-russian design ;) )

PS: Mosin-Nagants are 'cheap' here too Sander. should be easy to find some between 100 and 250 euros.

I haven't fired it yet but I'm not conserned about kick of any kind. It's got a bayonet attached - pretty awesome. The WWII nostalgia alone was worth the 80 bucks.

How do you know for sure? It's got writing i cant read (assuming it's russian) engraved and I spotted a Hammer and Sickle on the inside of the sling.

gun owner

myself, just a little lee-enfield .22 and my grandfathers old SMLE converted to .410 shotie

but my bro now owns a 13.9 mm (.55in) boys anti-tank rifle, looking forward to shooting that baby.... just hope my shoulder holds up to the recoil of "Charlie the bastard"

me...

How come I haven't replied to this thread?...

I own a Springfield Armory XD - .45 acp.

For work, issued a Glock 19 and or a Remington 870.

When I go to work for LVMPD I'll carry my XD.

Used to carry an M-16A2/M-203, occasionally an M-249 in the Army.

XDs are cool by why not go w/ the model 1911? Are you really gonna need more than 8 shots? One hit w/ .45 ACP is devastating, add hollowpoints into the equation and thats more than enough.

1911's are my favorite pistol of all time, but it's not as feasible for patrol duty.

SWAT would be a different story, since I'd be carrying it safety off and ready to rock. Glock's and XD's are point and shoot, much better for a panic situation. Hi capacity magazines can really come in handy when the fat hits the fire.

Hydra shoks own standard hollows.

Back