Things you like from Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 Discussion' started by Veers, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android A Smooth-Skin

Jun 7, 2015
    I liked Bethesda's design of Mirelurks so much that I developed this elaborate fanon that the Mirelurk King was controlling the other Mirelurks with complicated sonar - afterall, the Mirelurk and the Mirelurk Hunter were already two species living together in harmony (Mirelurks being mutant Blue Crabs and hunters being mutant Horseshoe Crabs. But yeah, if Bethesda's actual worldbuilding were worth anthing they probably could have come up with a good reason.

2. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    I remember some of the debates years ago during the development of Black Isle's Fallout 3 here on the forum on the discussion on the level of technology there should be and some people were so hammering on the vacuum tubes and magnetic tapes vs transistors and microchips it became really annoying.
    Because according to their logic there should also not be rockets, satellites, and space stations despite those being a staple of 50s space sci-fi.
    Or they felt that these conflicted with the setting of Fallout which I also found rather bull.

The pre war universe was not stuck on some technological level, it simply developed in a different way but still had quite some of the same ideas and concepts for machines and vehicles.

I did not mind that when it was revealed that there was integrated circuitry in the Fallout universe but that it tended to be very fragile compared to the more "tested" technologies.

3. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Cynical Cunt

Jun 15, 2015
    I have. The Pitt is kinda the unloved step-child with FO3 fans. It's one of the lowest rated FO3 DLC's on Metacritic. They didn't like the grey morality that was present in the DLC. They were so used to the choices being black and white in the main game that when a DLC presented a story where the choices are morally grey and your character wasn't a bad ass hero in the end of it that it rubbed them the wrong way. Funnily enough that is also one of the reason some Beth fans hate New Vegas.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  4. Hardboiled Android

Jun 7, 2015
    I dunno, generally I hear Beth fans way overstating just how good the Pitt was to argue that actually Bethesda's writing is as good as Obsidian's

5. Norzan

Norzan Vault Fossil

Apr 7, 2017
    Not according to sites like Metacritic and platforms like Steam. Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta are more disliked than The Pitt.

Then again, Dead Money has a mixed reception at best from the general populace and that's actually arguably the best NV DLC.

And really, the choices in The Pitt aren't really morally grey. Risewild had a detailed post explaining why it's actually mostly black and white with the illusion of grey morality. If he can link that post it would be great.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Cynical Cunt

Jun 15, 2015
    That warms my heart that Mothershit Zeta is hated by everyone yet Bethesda is still trying their damnedest to shove that shit into the Fallout lore. Apparently they tried shoving it in to 76 according to @AgentBJ09. Bethesda needs to realize when something is universally hated to just drop it and pretend it never happened.

7. SquidVan

SquidVan Literal Vampire Potbelly Goblin

Jun 1, 2018
    Yeah you're not wrong about that. But my point wasn't that they were 100% faithful to ghouls but rather they seemed to have stuck with the idea that they cannot reproduce or made again outside the presence of a nuclear detonation. Oh wait, Moira exists. I mean it was a nuke that happened but that was a bit silly. I think they really wanted you to do her quests.

Dude, I fucking love this interpretation of ghouls. Thank you.

8. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Fossil

Mar 16, 2013
    The Pitt in its totality has the content for the trailer of a cool Fallout game but the DLC itself is very shallow. It is, I think, the fastest I've ever beat a Fallout DLC.

The "moral choice" that gets lauded around falls into the same pit (pun not intended) that Bethesda's "moral choice" in Skyrim of the Empire vs Stormcloaks falls, where both options are presented as so shitty and massively flawed that it makes you not want to choose at all (Empire v. Stormcloaks has the benefit of falling back on the generally solid TES lore, whereas the Pitt is more self-contained and by extension connected to the shitty East Coast lore) . I found my character not wanting to touch the situation there and just escape, because it was so fucked.

9. SquidVan

Jun 1, 2018
    At least it's presenting a moreso grey choice for once instead of a commonly agreed good option and a commonly agreed bad option. It's better than A. Give a guy some water B. Tell him no and that he stinks
    Or A. Disarm a bomb that could potentially threaten a town or B. Blow it up cuz haha fuck you.

10. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Fossil

Mar 16, 2013
    It is and I think given more depth it could be a compelling decision, but the Pitt DLC is basically a trailer like I said. As a locale it is very cool though. The dusk-like warm smog skies, overbearing buildings and industrial nightmare is a very very cool Fallout setting.

Pair this with

and it fits like a glove.

11. Hardboiled Android

Jun 7, 2015
    I don't mind that the Pitt's moral grayness is comparatively lacking because unlike Fallout 4 (which also has a shitty moral grayness going on, largely since it seems to be what people think is good about New Vegas when it's really more complicated) the world of the Pitt actually makes some degree of sense, and is one of Beth's better pieces of worldbuilding in the Fallout universe.

12. SquidVan

Jun 1, 2018
    I'm definitely not saying it's something insanely well made. But it was moreso on the right track than anything else in the game really. New mutants (we got what mirelurks and bloatflies in 3? Were bloatflies new?), no super mutant army being orcs, a tougher decision than being Jesus or a prick.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  13. Malpais Dominus

Malpais Dominus First time out of the vault

Jun 1, 2020
    It introduced me to the series is probably the biggest one but outside of cop out answers and actually stuff about the game; the setting is visually nice and it managed to keep a good handle on having some goofier, wackier segments with some pretty dark and grim stuff. There's a part where you can engage in child slavery and get rewarded for it! Looking back on it a lot of parts really feel like they're just going down a generic "apocalypse fiction checklist" but since a lot of people who played it were younger like me it didn't feel as derivative.
    The main story and a lot of the major quests are hot garbage. It's kind of gross how they felt the need to shoehorn in and radically change characters and factions from someone else's work to make it their own. I can't imagine being a Fallout fan back then and seeing how they decided to give Harold his ultimate fate for example. That being said some of the smaller stories that are told with the environment are good. Going through old pre-war buildings and see the remains of people's last moments, last few terminal entries leading up to the last day etc. It can be pretty compelling stuff.

14. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Sorry I missed this post somehow. I don't think I have one post that is detailed. I think I have several posts about it instead. It was during a discussion I was having with some members back then.

I will rummage through my posts and see if I can quote them here instead (so it makes some sense):
    EDIT: Oops, posted it before I added the quotes... Fixed now.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  15. Malpais Dominus

Jun 1, 2020
    I'm surprised to see so much love for The Pitt honestly. I thought it was pretty bland except for the area where you collect the ingots and some of the cool weapons.

16. Norzan

Norzan Vault Fossil

Apr 7, 2017
    @Risewild

So pretty much black and white. The only thing i got from that when it comes to grey morality is Ashur using slaves to build a better future but not liking the fact he's using slaves.

Ashur is a good guy having to do something bad to accomplish something good and Wernher is just a power hungry asshole.

It's right there, so close to grab, a situation that is fully morally grey, but they just had to make one of the sides a complete asshole that just wants power. Even when they try to be morally grey, they fuck up somehow.

17. Big No

Big No Watch as I open and close this door

Oct 28, 2014
    The Pitt is definitely a good start, just wish it's story was a little bit longer. It feels really short, like Honest Hearts. Maybe some more stuff involving you as a slave perhaps.

18. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    when looking back on the Pitt it makes me wonder if Bethesda has any idea where Pittsburgh is located, sinceyou ride a Minecart from DC to Pittsburgh ffs.

19. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I once looked at how long it takes "today" to ride a train from Pittsburgh to Washington DC.
    It was 6 hours and a half to 10 hours and 10 minutes. A handcart would take many times more than that, since they are so slow compared to real trains, not to mention the times one has to stop and rest from all the physical labor it requires.

20. Malpais Dominus

Jun 1, 2020
    Maybe bethesda has decided to retcon geography as well. Although I suppose they do say to never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity...