Those moments when you wish you were in a Black Isle (or Obsidian) game... [Spoilers]

khain

[X] Sarcastic
So, as I mentioned in my shortish review of FO4 which served as my first post here, various glitches have forced me to start from scratch for the second time. I could use the expression "I had to reroll", but since we're not really creating any kind of character, nor are we in an actual RPG, no need to go through the motions.

Yes, I know, I should just let it go and go back to play the old games for the umpteenth time, or fire up the XBox to have a nice time in New Vegas again. But hey, every time those game breaking bugs happened, I hadn't done that much in terms of the main story, so I thought I should at least see it through.

Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread to capture those moments in the game where you're just facing a situation and your mind starts imagining how fun it could have been if made by a developer that understands role playing, and the important of choices and outcomes.

So obviously, there be spoilers everywhere.

I'll start:

1. The Diamond City Market Fratricide

Here, we have a guy threatening his own brother at gunpoint, because he believes he's actually a Synth. He doesn't calm down, so ends up being shot by a security guard, cause lil' Toddy he likes the bang bang guns.

Had we been in a proper Fallout game, or even a proper RPG...

- You can talk to the security guard and ask them to let you handle it. After which you can indeed handle it (see below), or let the guy shoot his bro because you're a bit of a sociopath.
- You can talk him out of it all. By using intelligence and proving logically the brother is not a Synth. Or maybe the brother is a Synth, and you get him to admit that somehow. Or by using speech and calming it with the soothing sound of your voice.
- You can shoot the gun out of his hand.
- You can position yourself in front of the brother and act as a human shield.

With a variety of outcomes: all ends well, guy indeed shoots his brother, guy shoots himself, guy runs away...

2. The Combat Zone

I've already listed those in my first post/review, but basically:

- You could become a fighter in the arena. If you beat Cait, she joins you, maybe.
- You can buy Cait out because you disapprove of this kind of entertainment.
- You wait for a fight night and steal the contents of the safe.
- You can free the two rule breakers, arm them and let them wreak havoc.
- You can fix a fight - take some money to take a fall, or any combination.

Basically a diversity of options depending on whether you're after money, a new companion, some fighting skill bonuses...

----

Now, I know we've been disappointed at pretty much *every* situation in the game, but some like those two really wound me up, simply because in a few minutes I could think of a ton of ways to make them potentially interesting encounters.

If you have some that particularly stood out, I'd love to hear what they are and what you would have done with them.

(Otherwise, this thread can just wither and die in complete anonimity).

Here, we have a guy threatening his own brother at gunpoint, because he believes he's actually a Synth. He doesn't calm down, so ends up being shot by a security guard, cause lil' Toddy he likes the bang bang guns.

- You can talk to the security guard and ask them to let you handle it. After which you can indeed handle it (see below), or let the guy shoot his bro because you're a bit of a sociopath.
- You can talk him out of it all. By using intelligence and proving logically the brother is not a Synth. Or maybe the brother is a Synth, and you get him to admit that somehow. Or by using speech and calming it with the soothing sound of your voice.

With a variety of outcomes: all ends well, guy indeed shoots his brother, guy shoots himself, guy runs away...

2. The Combat Zone

I've already listed those in my first post/review, but basically:

- You could become a fighter in the arena. If you beat Cait, she joins you, maybe.
- You can buy Cait out because you disapprove of this kind of entertainment.
- You wait for a fight night and steal the contents of the safe.
- You can free the two rule breakers, arm them and let them wreak havoc.
- You can fix a fight - take some money to take a fall, or any combination.

Basically a diversity of options depending on whether you're after money, a new companion, some fighting skill bonuses...

I thought of this as well. In fact it was so blatantly obvious to me that this should have been the way it worked that I thought I did something wrong, so I kept reloading and going about things a different way. Even dressed as a Raider every single bastard in the Combat Zone tries to kill you. Stopping the synth hating guy from shooting his brother could have been handled so many ways. I tried to talk to them but there was no opportunity to intervene with any of the members involved. It felt like something that happens in a scripted FPS event where you can't do a damn thing.

Robot racing is another obvious one. Bet 10, 50, 100 caps, each race lasts a minute or so, to prevent over exploitation of the mechanic. Little money generator, plus a bit of gambling, for those who like that. Robots would move at "fixed randomized" speeds, making it impossible to guess simply from their design.

Robot racing is another obvious one. Bet 10, 50, 100 caps, each race lasts a minute or so, to prevent over exploitation of the mechanic. Little money generator, plus a bit of gambling, for those who like that. Robots would move at "fixed randomized" speeds, making it impossible to guess simply from their design.

There are even replacement robots in case the first set gets destroyed, and you can turn their combat inhibitors off and all kinds of fun stuff on the terminals. But no, immediately hostile. It's a shame how much potentially good stuff has been left on the cutting room floor despite basically having unlimited development time (I mean, they obviously didn't, but they could have released the game a few months later. It's not like they announced it a year ago already).

Also the option of being able to enter your Robot companions into the Race and maybe modify them to make them better and such.... Hack the terminals controlling the robots to cheat. So many stuff could be done with that.... instead we got Enemy Infested Ruin number 100021.

Kinda makes you think, if they had more plans for that place, but runing out of time and just decided to make it another target practise for the player.

Kinda makes you think, if they had more plans for that place, but runing out of time and just decided to make it another target practise for the player.
They didn't make a new engine, they had between 4 and 7 years and a giant AAA studio and budget. I don't think running out of time is a legitimate excuse at that point for how shallow the game turned out.

Depends on what their priority was in development I guess. Anyway, they probably havn't worked 7 years on it, except for some of the concept art probably. But I guess full production kicked only in after the release of Skyrim and its DLCs.

They care about those wacky skeletons littering the world, watching little ants crawling on a tree, finding notes on dead people, and environmental story telling in general. Can't forget being able to wiggle and spaz your arm out while the pipboy is open because we love useless features.

All games have cut content, but Fallout 4 seems to have most of it's content cut out. It definetly feels like they got inspired by Destiny too much...

Hehe, can I add some dialogue lines to that? :D

-[CHARISMA] This is a play! Both of them are synths!
- Why don't we call the mayor to find out who's a synth and who's not?
- Codsworth, make sure he doesn't pull the trigger. Cut off his legs. (Karma loss)

- Codsworth, make sure he doesn't pull the trigger. Cut off his legs. (Karma loss)

Your forgetting that they got rid of the dialogue box.

Unless you're using the dialogue mod for Fallout 4.

Someone add some fucking skill/perk checks to this piece of shit. Let Obsidian show you how it is done again you mass market catering sham artists.

Someone add some fucking skill/perk checks to this piece of shit. Let Obsidian show you how it is done again you mass market catering sham artists.
I'm not sure that would even be possible at this point, I mean sure they have "GIMME MONEYZ" checks but I'm not even sure how that would work. It might be possible with the creation kit but I wouldn't count on it. I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda made all of this crap irreversible.

Unless you're using the dialogue mod for Fallout 4.

Even with that mod we still don't know if you'll be able to add more then 4 dialogue choices when modding.

They have one INT check I think so it is possible. Science check is a no brainer. Repair is fucking gone so that is out for now. There are ways to improve aspects of the game, expanding on what little is there. It can be done but it is not optimal nor is it right for Bethesda to leave it to modders/another developer to do that.

They have one INT check I think so it is possible. Science check is a no brainer. Repair is fucking gone so that is out for now. There are ways to improve aspects of the game, expanding on what little is there. It can be done but it is not optimal nor is it right for Bethesda to leave it to modders/another developer to do that.

Repair isnt the biggest lost, most repair checks also had a Science alternative in previous games. Its still limiting, but its not totally unsalvageable.

Repair isnt the biggest lost, most repair checks also had a Science alternative in previous games. Its still limiting, but its not totally unsalvageable.

It can be modded in easily with the kit.

Back