Fallout 2 mod Unofficial Fo2 patch thread - problems, reports, suggestions

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Per, Aug 15, 2007.

1. The Enclave 86

The Enclave 86 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 5, 2010
    Problems with Killaps Mod after reinstalling F2

Having real trouble with Fallout 2, had to rebuy one of the newer releases of it after my last dics broke whilst moving. For good measure I re-installed it and downloaded the patches from here (though I do believe it may have came with them anyway), reinstalled Killaps mod again but when I go into the game it doesn't appear to have taken affect, the patch numbers on the menu screen have obviously changed so they're installed but the usual first indicator of Killaps mod, the many pages of save's, does not.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem, possibly in some step-by-step form because when I ready solutions and see all the walls of text, c:/ folders etc. it just blows my mind. Had no problems with it before on the same computer but since reinstalling, how does one delete all the data that isn't removed via uninstalling such as saves?

2. RL_Nice

RL_Nice First time out of the vault

Dec 21, 2010
    Two issues with Killap's patch

I've been having two minor issues since installing Killap's patch for Fallout 2.

When resting, the game doesn't go all the way, usually exiting the PipBoy and jumping back into the game world after a day or two.

Second, the world map flickers. I changed the travel speed in the game files because the patch made fast travel too slow, and now I see flickering lines every time I open the travel map.

3. SorgFall

SorgFall Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 2, 2007
    F1?

Killap, do you still intend to go through the first Fallout installation?

4. Mugsy

Mugsy First time out of the vault

Feb 11, 2011
    Edit: I'm an idiot, and i had two Fallout2.Exes when i reinstalled, preventing me from booting up the game correctly.

5. SorgFall

Jul 2, 2007
    ? I don't get it.

Didn't I actually use your patch (earlier version) completely compatibly with the NPC Armour mod???

6. SorgFall

Jul 2, 2007
    Why is saving during combat not recommended?

7. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Game saves can be corrupted - why - who knows, so just be aware... :wink:

8. SorgFall

Jul 2, 2007
    Any known unfixed bugs?

Are there any known unfixed bugs for Fallout?

Did anyone ever make a list, so that we can be aware of them and make it a sort of a guideline for potential patchers is the future, or to simply help people avoid them (knowing what causes them)?

9. captjacq

captjacq First time out of the vault

Jun 7, 2011
    I have downloaded Killap's unoffical patch and when I go to install it, I keep getting the error message saying "I need to be sure the patch is being put in the same file as Fallout2.exe" I have searched high and low for that file, but cannot find it. I have the 3-pack version of fallout (one where fallout, fallout tactics, fallout 2 are installed) and have done all I can think of to get this to work. I really hope I don't have to go find the holy geck (or holy hand grenade for that matter) to get this to work. Can someone, anyone help?

10. SHADOW-XIII

SHADOW-XIII First time out of the vault

Nov 19, 2007
    so how you run Fallout 2 then? Show contents of folder where you installed Fallout 2

11. captjacq

Jun 7, 2011
    As to the contents of the folder where I installed it there is no fallout.exe. it is under: Program Files -> Interplay -> Fallout 2 -> Fallout 2 (application).

12. SHADOW-XIII

SHADOW-XIII First time out of the vault

Nov 19, 2007
    so what's there? maybe let us known with a screenshot ?

13. captjacq

Jun 7, 2011
    This is the best I can do.

14. captjacq

Jun 7, 2011
    So after searching around, I figured out, that the fallout2 application is the same as fallout2.exe, just shown different. The killaps patch I downloaded won't recognize this as the correct place to install it and therefore won't work. Is there a different patch I should look for or a newer one that will work?

15. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Take a look at the installation path, if there's a "new folder" in the path, remove it. And delete the patch000.dat. BTW, DO NOT install killap's unofficial patch if you want to install/play RP.

16. captjacq

Jun 7, 2011
    I did all of what you said and it works. However, now I have a new problem. I also have the falche2 character editer and for some reason now it is no longer working. I've tried creating a new character in the game, and it shows up on the editer, but anything I change in the editer will not show in the game. How can I fix this?

17. captjacq

Jun 7, 2011
    BTW, whats the difference between killaps patch and the RP?

18. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    The patch just fixes bugs, and leaves the game fundamentally untouched...the RP adds new stuff to the game, mainly locations that were left out because of time restraints back in 1998, extra critters (NPC armor), map enhancements, etc. I would play the patched version of Fallout 2 before trying the RP, the differences are very noticeable.

19. captjacq

Jun 7, 2011
    To clarify, when I click on the character editer (falche2) I go through all the motions to pull up my save file from fallout 2. it works up untill I click on the actual save in the game, I get the error message "Character data (main1) not found". Is there a character editer that works with Killaps RP?

20. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007