Wasteland 2 physically distributed by Deep Silver, screens

WorstUsernameEver

But best title ever!
The latest Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update seems to be causing consternation among some backers, as the folks at inXile have announced that Deep Silver will distribute the game physically and also handle the physical rewards for the title:<blockquote>inXile partners with Deep Silver to distribute Wasteland 2

inXile Entertainment and Deep Silver today announced a distribution deal for inXile’s upcoming cRPG Wasteland 2. Deep Silver is a veteran publisher and already a long-standing partner for inXile.

inXile is currently working on Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera, both funded via the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter.

The deal allows inXile Entertainment to focus on all creative aspects of developing the game, while Deep Silver handles the retail release of the game and the physical good fulfillment for the Kickstarter backers.

“This is a perfect opportunity for inXile: it allows us to continue to focus all of our energy and money into the creative aspects of the game while letting Deep Silver take our game outside of the pure digital space. This has the added bonus of allowing us to spend more of the Kickstarter funds on development while continue to retain all ownership and control”, says Brian Fargo, CEO inXile Entertainment. “I’ve known the people at Deep Silver for many years and they have always been a first rate organization to deal with.”

Deep Silver will also assist inXile in the QA testing of the localized international versions of the game.

“The uber-successful crowdfunding of Wasteland 2 through Brian Fargo and his team has shown how much interest for an RPG with traditional values still exists on consumers’ side aside from what large publishers think the market needs. Deep Silver is very happy to support inXile Entertainment in bringing Wasteland 2 to the retail market”, comments Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Koch Media.

Questions...

Can Deep Silver make any changes to the game?

No, we’re retaining creative control. Thanks to our backers, we’re fully funded and free to implement our own creative vision, and directly communicate with our backers and crowdsource ideas.

So this is good news?

Absolutely! For inXile, we always intended to use a third party to handle these matters, as we are simply too small a studio to be capable of handling all the award fulfillment details from a practical standpoint. By finding the right partner, we gain not just time: it also frees up financial resources for us as they are more efficient at handling physical fulfillment than we would be. All of that time and funding saved will go right back into the game. We’ll also benefit from additional support from Deep Silver on things like international version QA.

For our backers and fans, it assures you that distribution will be handled professionally and quickly, and will assure a smooth experience for getting the game and goodies into your hands. This deal also allows us to put a retail version on the shelves, so people who discover the game later can still get a physical copy. The digital distribution and sales are still being handled by inXile.

Does this change anything about inXile’s plans in DRM or DLC/expansions?

Not at all, that too remains in our control. Deep Silver is a perfect partner for this: they have no interest in interfering with our promises when it comes to DRM-free release or any future plans we may have for expansions, all our previous promises on these stand. So the only real impact for our backers is that the physical goods fulfillment is in good hands.</blockquote>There are also two new screenshots, showing the new UI and the area of Highpool, which fans of the original game remember as "that one place with the kid and the rabid dog".

<center> </center>

That flat camera angle and the depth of field makes me nauseous as hell and makes everything look like toys..

Deep Silver? So we can expect colector edition with statue of exploding blood sausage?

Gotta agree with Surf Solar. If you look at JA2 and this, there seems to be a difference. One looks 'realistic' (as you can get with '99 graphics), the other is like a cartoon despite all that Unity can offer.

Sub-Human said:
Gotta agree with Surf Solar. If you look at JA2 and this, there seems to be a difference. One looks 'realistic' (as you can get with '99 graphics), the other is like a cartoon despite all that Unity can offer.
I am not sure if its the quality of the picture ... but there is also way to much blurr. At leats for my taste.

Deep Shitware is going to advertise an edition with Whatever mode, which can be unlocked for $5 in games bought later. :D

As long as the Collector's Edition box I will be receiving looks completely different from the retail box hitting stores, I'm fine with this. Kind of liked that I was getting something "exclusive" and "collector-y", so-to-speak. *shrug*

Either way, game is looking great. Screenshots really don't sell this game. It definitely looks better in motion because of the different camera angles and such. Not going to worry about one screenshot.

Surf Solar said:
That flat camera angle and the depth of field makes me nauseous as hell and makes everything look like toys..
It's a game. Games more often than not involve toys :D

Screenshot is nice.
Just a bit too much blur/bloom or whatever you call it.
Camera angle does not matter, the gameplay video show we can change it.
The UI is horrible.

Significant changes to the game-world UI by the looks of it. Glad the version in the last update was just a proto.

In most cases bloom-effect used not for good picture and not for increasing quality of game. This... bloom best way to hide poverty of models and backgrounds. Unity have a very good render and effect like a blure, bloom not nessesary. This is instrument for 3D action games. Here we have isometric game. Even camera lie closer to ground - this effect bad decision. Now you know why.

This map which i made for one game. Villages made in 9.5 days of working. City map in 2 weeks. You can see many detailed objects on ground, and you must remember this do one man, and this is strategic game with more limited zoom than in Wasteland 2. But even you zoom in - you cannot find something like a blure textures and etc. You don’t need use bloom - because picture is good. You don’t need hide anything.

<table witdth="600"><tr><td witdth="300"></td><td witdth="300"></td></tr><tr><td witdth="300"></td><td witdth="300"></td></tr><tr><td witdth="300"></td><td witdth="300"></td></tr></table>

Step back to this map. Let's try zoom. What we have? This level can say - "I'm а rich and successful man". That can say to us its picture.

Let's try add to picture bloom. Some think that this way add to image more quality? Each effect must configurated by game developer. Bloom as is - disgusting spectacle. It is necessary to set it up. Not only bloom. Smoke. We need atmosphere here.

Lets try add moderated fog for distance. Ready?

In many game engines developers turn on all effects on maximum volume like if to say - "Look at this incredible bl-o-o-o-om!". I want answer on this - "shut up". Because all effects be must added in good proportions. If you add to one spoon of cola bottle of vodka... what you recieve? Good coctail? No... you be drunk. Like a pig. If the way of visuals of game of present day be drunk - goal reached.

My way add effects in good proportions, like do good bartender. Let's try another filter. Something like brightness and contrast. But not as in bad games. Little.

And add bloom.

You can imagine what i can create use engine like Unity instead of easy engine for simple browser game, where have no shaders, effects and etc? Unity have a good instruments to manipulate of visual. And... sorry for this... but, my humble opinion - if you have a budget over 2,933,252 $ - you can make good visual picture. If you developer with world name - you can make good visual picture. If you love gamer... you undertand... you CAN.

I do not want to hear about the gameplay. It can be amazing. Perfect. Best! But the visual image - terrible. Interface - terrible how my life before marriage. If you made old school game in present time - you don't need repeat mistakes of past. Present world give opportunity to make good old games. What reason to use Unity if you use - nothing? For bloom? For blure? If you want show progress - i think need only one - good work.

I made my level via old technology. Only geometry. Only diffuse textures. No dynamic lights. No shaders. No shadows exept lightmaps on textures. No blendind between texures. No decals. No filters. Almost without alfa channels (exept trees).

When I look at the work of Obsidian... serious... this is - Delicious. Niam-niam. Bacgrounds. Characters. All made with love from artist.

Here - no love.

P.S.
And one more detail - this screens from easy social browser game. In this game you can't have a zoom like in Wasteland 2. Never. I'm landing for example of lightwork and filters. What i want to say? If developer with world name try to make a game in sense of old traditions - he don't need to use bad visual effects from horrible games. He can and must make a meal as a delicacy. Politely.

There is no reason to hide anything in the fog of bloom.

I do not offence anyone. Who i am? Little indie-developer. What i can make near alongside such giants like Brian Fargo? What I can?... I can? Yes. I can. In this my force. I know that i can make it. I know that i love games and gamers. I can prove that image can be better if somebody put in meal - love, quality and respect.

Thanks for your time. I'll go. Doing my small deeds further.

Surf Solar said:
We'll look into adding optional toggles for both FoV effects (likely) and orthographic camera (might be trickier, but we'll look into it).

dONALD42 said:
Deep Shitware is going to advertise an edition with Whatever mode, which can be unlocked for $5 in games bought later. :D
Well, they can't.

One thing that bothers me about the Wasteland 2 screens is that everything looks extremely low res. Like really pixelated. You can barely make out anything, what's up with that?
@Rick Lion: Interesting read. Although I couldn't help but read your post with an hilarious russian accent in my head.

Hassknecht
Sorry-sorry-sorry (laughing). Each day i learn language (on the background of my work... like a listen something on english) but even after long time i have no success in this deed. If look on the other side - that's something. Little speech skill, roughly speaking +10 english knowledge. We must be able to enjoy small things. I am pleased. )

Rick Lion, your art looks amazing, clean, professional, nice! Also nice explanation there.

@Brother None, if the game would allow for orthographic rendering, that would be awesome! :)

That's some stunning work here, Rick Lion! :shock:
My only complaint is about the railroad, those rails should be half-sunk in the road. Nevertheless, the Wasteland 2 screenshots looks like a piece of shit in comparison with your screens.

Yep, stunning work Rick Lion.
Much better than W2 screenshot.
If it so "easy" to do...i'll just say i don't understand something :)
But i don't mind W2 graphics anyway, there are good enough for me.

What i don't like the most about the graphics, is the contrast between some things. The interface looks plastic-like and clean, while the picture is blurry and rubbery. Everything doesn't mesh together that well and as Rick Lion stated, you have to have balance in everything. I'd prefer it to have a more rusty and rugged feel. It doesn't seem to be as bad in the night and inside buildings (probably why they made the video that way). Will be interesting to see more pictures with various angles and settings.

While having that in mind, i still enjoy a game that has SOLID mechanics and writing, even if the visuals suck ass (which doesn't work in reverse for me), so it's not a huge deal, but still, could be better.

Back