Weird/Stupid fears on gaming?

X-Com was fucking scary, especially the lobster men. Back when I was a kid they seemed almost immortal. That was because I didn't know that you need to have researched gauss or alien weapons by the time you meet them to fight them effectively.

System Shock 2 was the shit... GLADoS is a pale imitation of Shodan, and Bioshock 2 was more or less a re-telling of System Shock 2.

I'd gladly give System Shock 2 a try, but it didn't work with new hardware AFAIK. :( I don't know what patches I should search.

I know there is a fix for Windows XP that made if work perfectly with new hardware. I haven't tried it in Vista or 7 though.

but trust me, try to get it to work. it will be worth it. SS2 may look like crap by today's standards, but for me it's one of those games that will always stand the test of time. it's simply that awesome.

System Shock 2... happy times. Its like Fallout, i still replay it once in a while.

reading the topic I tried to remember what game scared me the most and i think it was SS2. The zombies and midwifes were already mentioned but.... the spiders... the fucking spiders, now i remember! The awful noise, knowing those buggers were creeping up to me and with only a precious few shots left in the gun... :shock:

Dammn you all, i wont be able to sleep tonight!

Playing the 7th Guest when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

3-d view in Janes 688(i) Hunter/Killer. I have a fear of wide open spaces that aren't outer space.

Guiltyofbeingtrite said:

oh yeah. I had forgotten about that. thanks for reminding me...

aenemic said:
Guiltyofbeingtrite said:

oh yeah. I had forgotten about that. thanks for reminding me...

It works more or less great on XP and damn those puzzles can be challenging. Great game. Also found Phantasmagoria at a thrift store and will see if that works.

Alien vs Predator as a marine was pretty scary at times, but I don't think I ever was really afraid from any game. Silent Hill & System Shock might get honorable mention though.

Doom, 7th Guest, 11th Hour and whatnot never really got to me. Startled sometimes sure, but scared? Not really.

I've been trying to remember the name of the game, but can't call if up. I remember it being an adventure style horror game for Nintendo Gamecube, with Cthulhu inspiration I think, sanity meter and some really creepy atmosphere.

We were about 10 people in the room watching a friend playing it, absolutely mesmerized by it, and remember the feeling of everyone in the room actually being scared, or atleast wound up. There was a scene, where you got an really unexpected popup on the screen that made everyone in the room jump and scream. And not a single person in the room was younger than 17.

Otherwise, playing Resident Evil at my friends house and then walking home through the dark woods afterwards was... quite unnerving, and made me look over my shoulder more than once.

AvP was'nt as much scary to me as it was just tense, wich was a great feeling nonetheless.

hahaha nice thread. Most of time I felt like a faggot, because none of my friends were really scared about games haha.

The zombies in ocarina gave me a panic I can't explain as well haha, same thing than Dario, and its the first time I heard someone felt the same :D I'm quite happy, really.

Same thing with Residents Evil when a kid, and same thing with silent hill, even today. I still don't have the balls to play silent hill.

But, anyway, here an original fear: when I was 7, I loved to play Sonic & Knuckles, but I would always stop at the second stage in Sandopolis (4th stage), when you're inside the pyramid. The problem there was the ghosts in their last form, when all the lights go off and they get big hahahahah. I just passed that stage when I was 12, and only because I had the guts to try and didn't let the lights go off not even once hahah.

Heh, I like to know I'm not alone against those Redead bastards Heinz. I must admit I still feel uncomfortable when I play OoT when I have to reach the parts with them.

I'm kind of disappointed a large part of the people here were really afraid of most of the horror games. Since that's what they're trying to do, I just tend to ignore it. I remember playing F.E.A.R waiting at every moment that the game would try to scare me, and I know I shouldn't worry about it.

It's games that have so deep mood swings from cheerful to really dark & gritty that tend to frighten me.

Sometimes the dungeon crawling in Daggerfall kind of freaked me out as a kid. Can't really think of anything that was really frightening in gaming.

I stopped playing Thief 2 because there was a cellar passage with some sort of ghoul, and I didn't dare enter. I could hear it from the other side of the door. Also, I had read that there were traps, you could fall through the floor and into a small room with a giant spider. Knowing that was too much for me.

Now I really feel like a coward, which I guess is the natural consequence of, well, being one. But I've made it my mission to get over my fears by playing scary games on my PS3, by myself in the dark, trying to get into the game as much as possible (I'm sure I could have continued Thief thinking "it's just a game" and/or having people around etc, but that's cheating). Right now it's FO3, then BioShock, then I might go for Deep Space or some such. Oh, and Siren, definitely Siren.

Edit: spelling

verevoof said:
Sometimes the dungeon crawling in Daggerfall kind of freaked me out as a kid. Can't really think of anything that was really frightening in gaming.
I'll never forget the apprehension of clicking the Rest button, getting the dreaded "There are enemies nearby" message and not knowing if the enemy in question was some pissant rogue or a Vampire Ancient who can kill me in seconds.

Oh wow so many memories come to mind. I'll share one.

Back when I was a kid a game impressed me in a most scary way, and that was SNES' Demon's Crest. Sure, 16-bit graphics scare no one anymore, but back then it was amazing. From the very introduction of the main menu, to the intro stage where you face that zombie dragon. Sure, now I know he was easy, but just seeing it for the first time scared the shit out of me. It impacted me in such a way that it took me several deaths to get past the easiest boss. Once its dead, we enter the first stage; a cemetery. Rising ghosts, scary statues and a haunting melody during. A frightening introduction.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLztbi98-cE[/youtube]

This topic is mislabeled. Should've been called "What videogames scared the shit outta you when you were a kid". I have a couple:

-That stupid part in Marble Zone in Sonic one where the lava comes after you at the bottom. I had to get my mom to do that every time!

-Banshees in What the Hell? in Earthworm Jim. I put in the level select code just to skip that place.

The Alien Entity inside the Roswell Military Complex in "Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive" comes to mind. Having to go inside that huge abandoned complex filled with goo-covered bodies and deal with the entity (and fast, too, because if you took too long it consumed you and the game ended) completely freaked me out, to the point that I avoided playing the game just so that I wouldn't have to go through that ordeal again.

The same can be said for the GRS Facility in "Under a Killing Moon", with that god-damned robot and that creepy voice of his/hers/its, patrolling the hallways and scanning every room for intruders. Let's just say I'm not a huge fan of the thought that something is out there in the level trying to get me.

As already mentioned, the THIEF series produced quite some scares too. I was particularly scared of the undead Hammerite Mages and the whispering sound they made as they approached. Wandering through the bank level in Thief 2, opening a door and coming face-to-face with a huge-ass robot which opened fire at me in one sec was also fun...

There's a really scary bit in the first levels of "Unreal" as well. You need to pull a switch, you do it and when you return the lights go out and one of them lizard like things comes for you. I always freaked out at that bit.

Back