Weird/Stupid fears on gaming?

Dario ff

Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?
This is the confession thread, here we will help you battle your stupid fears in some games most probably caused in your childhood.

To me, for some reason, I was always scared of the ReDeads(zombies) on Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time. Their weird animation, their moaning, that horrible attack. I swear I almost had so much panic that I tried to avoid them at all costs, even using the Ocarina to warp so I didn't have to walk through the Market when I was in the Temple of Time. The song that paralyzed them helped A LOT later in reducing my weird panic about them.

But then I realized...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8hcv-uUNDw[/youtube]
There's no chance I can actually fear something like them now. :lol:

Any other ridiculous/weird/stupid fears that you had when you were a child due to a game?

I don't know whether its particularly 'weird' or stupid, but the first two Thief games scared the hell out of me back in the day.

First were the undead, then that incredibly well done but freakish Trickster level. And I quit Thief II a few times because the mechanical contraptions were either freaking me out, or annoying the hell out of me. That pretty much depended on whether I was playing the game in the dark or not.

Edit: My brain is on booze. Ratty using the word 'marine' reminds me of Half Life, which reminds me of the first time I entered the dark area with the electricity-type enemies, somewhere in the beginning. I've probably never entered a new area slower than there. Heck, first time playing Half Life there were a lot of moments where I supposedly behaved 'careful', but actually was just scared.

I love it when a game screws my mind up enough so that I behave like a total idiot, just holding the trigger finger and then clicking a few times again before realizing I really do need to reload. System Shock 2 had a few of those moments too. Goddamn midwives.

And one time I threw my mouse across the room while playing Hidden and Dangerous. I was sniping, and then I was being sniped, didn't expect it.

Those green slimers in Duke Nukem 3D always scared the shit out of me. Just hearing that soggy noise they make as they crawl through ducts and dark corridors was enough to make me flail about and frantically fire my chaingun like an AvP marine on LSD.

Back in 1996, just 2 years after getting a Windows 95 machine, my father decided to upgrade the graphics to a whopping 16-bits of colour depth. (My, Lords of the Realm II never look'd so good.) Well, we received a large demo-disk that launched into a huge (for the time) first-person game selector, a great mother-ship. But all this is wonderfully irrelevant.

No, there was this first-person shooter where you start off in a beige, padded room. Clearly something is wrong: The lights are too dim, the room too empty, the drone of a far-off siren fades in and out . . . You look around: above you is an air duct, in front of you a closed hatch, below a grey-white metal tile. Nothing particularly interesting.

You move around a bit, finally deciding to head for the door but the screen flashes red! Again. Now it's a constant red as you flail around, looking for the source of this implied violence. You look up: the vent is smashed in and a large black creature is dripping saliva into your newly opened wounds. You hear it now . . . The same sound as the slugs from Duke Nukem' 3D . . .

As the screen turns black, all you can see is it's long alabaster teeth, a bright pink, and a elongated black head the sheen of wet rubber.

That was a damn fine way to start a game on a CD that mainly consisted of games like "Got your Nuts" -- the platform adventures of a spunky squirrel -- and a clay-mation puzzle game. Still, haunted me for a long time (just like the first play-through of Resident Evil 3 (2?) for the N64, or entering the labyrinths under the cathedral of Tristram.

Now being in a nice, safe, peaceful room in any game is a bit . . . worrisome.

Strangely enough, I played Resident Evil 1 when I was 5 and didn't give a shit about zombies or zombie dogs leaping through windows. I did freak out about ReDeads and Wallmasters. The worst thing that scared me in my childhood was Peewee's Big Adventure (or whatever it's called. It was directed by Tim Burton I think). Fucking Large Marge...

OakTable said:
Strangely enough, I played Resident Evil 1 when I was 5 and didn't give a shit about zombies or zombie dogs leaping through windows. I did freak out about ReDeads and Wallmasters
I didn't mind Wallmasters, but ReDeads really freaked me out. Curiously enough, I never really cared for the so-called horror genres. They really never got me scared since I knew that was what they were trying to do.

But ocarina of time... such a cheerful, lovely game, and then you get those freaking horrible things in a tomb filled of acid, with not really an easy way to avoid them? Fuck them.

Super Mario 64 and swimming in it. It was the first time swimming in a 3d plain and it scared the fuck out of me. Sure now-a-days it doesn't bother me so much but there were a few levels that freaked me out.

The first time it was just seeing deep water....but a giant eel? Crap...... Sharks and fish that can eat you in one gulp......shit....
It did scare me then. But was only 8 at the time.

Silent Hill 1 was the one for me…that soupy fog, and those nasty little kiddies with the knives.

gal_silenthill1.jpg

Realms of the haunting.... i played that as a young boy and it really scared me, now that im watching some vids in tube, doesnt appear to be that scary at all.

I used to almost shit my pants when I was like 5 years old, playing the original Quake with sounds as loud as they got, everytime when them nasty whatever random sword-swingers or whatever those melee enemies were called, jumped out of nothing and just charged towards me screaming like hell.

I can't stand the Tzimisce monsters in the sewers/internet café in VTMB. I hate the sounds they make.

Those Blobs in Quake that jumped on you until you died and exploded if you managed to kill them. Maybe they didn't really scare me but I had more respect for them than any other monster.

For some reason I'm often more surprised and caught off guard by things that affect the camera so to speak. Like that rare creature in STALKER that pulls your view right up to it's face all of a sudden even though you're way down a hall from it.

.Pixote. said:
Silent Hill 1 was the one for me…that soupy fog, and those nasty little kiddies with the knives.
hell yeah!

it's hard to remember all games, but this comes to mind:

Ishar 2, I believe it was Akeer's island. I was afraid of the witch. the atmosphere itself wasn't so scary, but I was SO afraid that she will kill my crew aaaaaaaah :D

I've recently played F.E.A.R and in one scene I almost had heart attack :crazy:

This

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFZ5fv_pb8&feature=related[/youtube]

Well that was fairly disturbing, thanks Alec. I should give that a go some time.

For me it was things that have already been mentioned. Zombies in Zelda 64 (the ones in the graveyard crypt precisely), deep water in Mario 64, and as for Silent Hill - well I put that disc back in the case after the third or fourth floor shambler monster popped out from under a car.

Resident Evil 1 & 2 used to get me pretty good back in the day as well.

Got a couple, I have a very active imagination.

1: Headcrabs in Half Life, when the demo came out I had to let my brother kill them.

2: Fiends from Quake, they were quick and spiky.

3: Oddly Mark 1 Dark Troopers from Dark Forces. They made quite a creepy sound and as they ran pretty fast and were immune to everything except explosives scared the bejesus out of me when I was young.

I thought ReDeads were kinda cute. :V

Dirk Magirk said:
Well that was fairly disturbing, thanks Alec. I should give that a go some time.
You definetly should! You know System Schock 2 was along with Deus Ex 1 the pinacle of game development anything else since then well ... went pretty much down. Both gameplay and storywhise.

System Schock 2 was awesome from start to end. But yeah best part is what A'lec has shown. Since Shodan is threating you well that way all the time ... insect and human meat bag and all that nice names she gives you while asking you to do her deeds :mrgreen:

And yeah the was quite scary. Mainly cause of the awesomely written audio logs you could find on the whole ship. Looking for them was always awesome. I like the love logs between some 2 people or the logs from Dlacraux (or what her name was) and polito, the captain of the military ship and all their research about the unity.

*no surprise A'lec chose that*

the most scary part of System Shock 2 is the zombies with wrenches or pipes or whatever it is. seeing one walking around and saying "kill me" in that creepy voice still sends shivers down my spine.

Back