What was the Funniest Argument You've had with a Bethesda Apologist?

There's some interesting mental gymnastics at display if you skim through the post history of a member called AwesomePossum (at least in the old beth-boards if they're still up; don't know about the new ones since I was already long gone).

Fallout NV was, for the most part, a plain and boring desert.
[/I]

I really fucking hate this argument. It's as if they keep their eyes closed whilst playing. You could easily use the same argument for Fallout 3. "Mostly boring ruins and dead trees."

There's a lot of desert in NV yes (obviously) but there's always something going on or something to find.

EDIT: Even if it was a boring desert, I give actual thought to my actions and actually give a shit about ita future and that of those living in it. I don't care at all about the Capital Wasteland.

I really fucking hate this argument. It's as if they keep their eyes closed whilst playing. You could easily use the same argument for Fallout 3. "Mostly boring ruins and dead trees."

There's a lot of desert in NV yes (obviously) but there's always something going on or something to find.

EDIT: Even if it was a boring desert, I give actual thought to my actions and actually give a shit about ita future and that of those living in it. I don't care at all about the Capital Wasteland.
Gameplay wise, it has a point. The "capital wasteland" may be all ruins and dead trees but it's filled with random critters shooting each other. And because their world has no logic, you really don't know what to expect which i guess can be fun. Any critter could be anywhere. Fallout 2's encounters were a bit like that.

In New Vegas, where the world makes sense, if you take the normal roads you know exactly what to expect, there are no ramdom spawns, and in many parts of the game ( like the road from goodsprings to primm if you haven't pissed the powder gangers or a good part of the area near Freeside) you are literally just walking.

Of course, new vegas world is about 100 times more interesting, so yeah, i agree with your last point.

Gameplay wise, it has a point. The "capital wasteland" may be all ruins and dead trees but it's filled with random critters shooting each other. And because their world has no logic, you really don't know what to expect which i guess can be fun. Any critter could be anywhere. Fallout 2's encounters were a bit like that.

Fallout 3 exploration for the most part is basically encountering raiders every 3 seconds with a mole rat/bloat fly/random mutant name here thrown in occasionally. It's not fun if it's there with no explanation, like a bunch of Super Mutants bumming about or again, ridiculous numbers of raiders.

In New Vegas, where the world makes sense, if you take the normal roads you know exactly what to expect, there are no ramdom spawns, and in many parts of the game ( like the road from goodsprings to primm if you haven't pissed the powder gangers or a good part of the area near Freeside) you are literally just walking.

Maybe not random, but the roads aren't all safe and they lead to somewhere. With Goodsprings if you go north you'll encounter cazadors, but surviving those you'll stumble upon Vault 19 (home of Cooke's Powder Gangers) or Bonnie Springs with bandits. Heading further from B.Springs you find Red Rock, home of the Great Khans. Going off-road towards the Yangtze Memorial you find a small house you can use, coyotes which will attack if you get too close and there's Radscorpions too. Further beyond the Memorial is Sloan and the Deathclaw quarry.

I'm not going to say that every inch of the Mojave is interesting, but you'll find more than just "Generic raiders camp here" or "Generic ruined building you cannot enter". It's not a boring desert, there is something there. Even if you don't find something you can sometimes hear gunfire in the distance. It makes the Mojave feel more alive and that you're not the only person in it.

TL;DR I'm just trying to say it isn't a plain and boring desert. It actually has more in it than Fallout 3.

Of course, new vegas world is about 100 times more interesting, so yeah, i agree with your last point.

The more interesting and believable a world is, the more invested you get in it. That's the way I see it :)

And the saga continues.

Lewd Ness (Me):

"James is not poorly written at all... His character doesn't have a lot of time to be flushed out,"

There was plenty of opportunities for Bethesda to incorporate more time for James to be fleshed out but they wasted it.

"but in the time that you know him you realize the good that he has done and what he has done to protect you."

The only two things he's done to protect me is take me in to Vault 101.
Then when he left he for some reason didn't take me with him and left me behind where the Overseer and the guards wanted me dead.

Then sacrificed himself in the purifier. Although it was kinda pointless when we consider what Col. Autumn's real plans were.

"He led the project purity project, he's your father..., he's Liam Neeson, ect. He's a good person and I think a lot of people cared when he died."

Yeah, he's a father who left me behind in a vault where I could've died, forced me to fight super-mutants, and killed himself only to prevent Autumn to do what he's doing but probably better. Not to save me at all.

"John Henry Eden is a computer. Bethesda followed a typical sci-fi trope and you can kill him with a logical fallacy, but otherwise you could access his terminal as it is shown that Autumn had the ability to "end" him if he felt the need to."

The idea that you could stop the leader of a big faction/army like the Enclave with a logical fallacy so easily is just beyond stupid.

"Little Lamplight is a little weird, but it is explained how it works. It is assumed that they reproduce and the whole "mungo" thing didn't come on until a bit later. They have excess amounts of cave moss and water sources. The moss and other plant life could serve as food, although a bit far fetched. Water seems to be uncontaminated ground water. It probably wouldn't work, but that is the assumed justification."

So they've been feeding their hunger with just cave plants and water.

For almost 200 years.

Yeah there is no way for the Little Lamplighters to even be able to survive this long on a diet like that.

"Megaton makes a bit more sense than LL. The reasoning to build a town around a bomb is due to a large majority of the settlers being "Children of Atom." They are weird as hell, but I would assume that Simms (and whoever else settled there first) thought it to be better to settle with these crazies than try without them. It would seem that the original settlers tried to gain entry to Vault 101, but according to the wiki they stayed within the megaton crater to avoid massive dust storms that were a problem at the time. The "town" then became a large trade stop for settlers and wastelanders heading east to D.C."

Alright, two problems with this. If they decided to settle in that crater because it protects them from massive dust storms, then why don't they just use Springvales houses as shelter or the school as a shelter for them? Why didn't they just use Super Duper Mart which is big enough for them to settle in and use it as shelter? It's much more safer than being near an active Atomic Warhead.

"With Lucas Simms I typically talk to him with my vault suit still on. He might assume that you have some technical knowledge from being a vault dweller. He could just be naive, but it seems that no one has really ever offered to try and disarm it."

I'm honestly wondering how could someone like Lucas Simms be able to trust strangers that easily and let them wander in Megaton and fiddle around with an active Atomic Bomb which could kill them all. It also bothers me how no one in Megaton including Moira even thought of disabling the bomb just in case some stranger walks in and actually manages to detonate it.

"He might also believe that attempting to disarm it will not accidentally detonate it, seeing that Burke HAS to give you a pulse charge to detonate it this may be true."

So he lets a stranger from a vault who could've insulted him, decided to let him go interact with an Atomic Bomb anyways. For all Simms could've known the Lone Wanderer or anyone could actually have access to a pulse charge or something similar and actually manage to detonate it. It's stuff like this that made me wondered how Lucas Simms is even in charge in the first place.

"Vault 87 has a terminal that talks about the virus. The vault was run by military scientists from the start and was supposed to perform Evolutionary Experimentation for potential "Fixes" after a nuclear war."

How the government let a company like Vault Tec gain access to an important, dangerous, and top secret thing like FEV? Also why doesn't the scientists over at Mariposa decide to do the Evolutionary Experimentation at Mariposa Military Base? Where all the FEV research is transferred to.

"Eden is wanting to do the same thing that President Richardson wanted to do in Fallout 2 (It is stated that Eden is a personality generated by a ZAX computer. He believe that non-pure people (people who have been exposed to radiation) are a threat to the future and that using the FEV virus will wipe them out."

Why poison the water if no one in the Capital Wasteland is going to drink it? People seem to have purifiers that purifies the water so that could make poisoning the water with FEV pointless also it doesn't help that it seems not many people even have or need water. Sooo....why poison it in a water crisis instead of taking them out guns blazing instead?

"As for a Lyon's goes... He was originally going along with the "Collect tech" plan, but realizing the threat that the super mutants were to both his organization and the locals that they needed to be stopped. There can also be assumptions made that they have knowledge of FEV being near D.C., because of super mutants, and that is something they REALLY need to stop."

That's like an incredible waste of soldiers and troops if you keep on doing this for like 20 years. Sending troops after troops deep into the ruins of D.C to kill super mutants without trying to figure out where their coming from. By doing this Lyons effectively caused the mutant population to grow since defenseless settlements are being raided by Mutants and settlers are taken captives and turned into more mutants.

"The story goes further to explain the schism of the east coast BoS and why Lyons does what he does. Brotherhood knights, paladins, ect are going to explore the ruins of DC eventually, not much different when they are going through killing mutants. Also the super mutants seem to be concentrated in D.C. itself, and he doesn't seem to know that vault 87 is the cause."

So if they had knowledge of FEV being near D.C, why not send scouts or troops around the ruins of the city to try and trace where the mutants could be coming from? Lyons effectively wasted his resources on trying to cleanse the ruins of D.C of super mutants instead of sending his men to go out and find signs of mutants from other sources not counting D.C itself.

"The "What do they eat" seems like a nitpicking complain to me but here we go...
Megaton has a large population of giant ants to the northeast that they kill and eat as well as mole rats. We see this outside of the gate, as well as a large amount of any meat being traded at Moira's store. Megaton is also one of the most frequented trade hubs outside of D.C. so it is likely they have food brought to them in exchange for scavenged materials. "

So a community like Megaton relies on trading and hunting instead of growing their own food which is probably more efficient than trading or hunting constantly to feed an entire town? They've done this shtick for almost 200 years or so and never needed farms or crops to grow and produce more food?

"Rivet City has a lot of trade just like Megaton, but you can assume they get a good amount of meat from the nearby mirelurks that not only live IN the ship, but all around it. You also see Doctor Li and her subordinates cultivating vegetables in their lab."

Yeah and do you know they can only grow a limited amount of crops and could only feed a few people, right? So people at Rivet City have relied on hunting and trading for almost 200 years for the most part of getting any food.

"Paradise falls and Tenpenny tower probably hunt as well as attack smaller settlements for food."

Paradise Falls, yes. Tenpenny Tower, I highly doubt it.

"The Citadel's BoS scavenge as well as most likely hunt Mirelurk in the nearby Sewers. The Citadel is also near water where other irradiated monsters could dwell and be hunted. Seeing the Moira has a food purifier, it could be assume the BoS would as well."

Alright, I see your basing a lot of these on baseless assumptions with little to no evidence or anything supporting it.

"As far as the lack of growth, that could be due to the presence of the Enclave"

What could the Enclave be doing that's helping prevent people rebuild?

"as well as large amount of Mutants infesting D.C. and the west part of the map."

Yeah threats like Super Mutants, Slavers, Raider,s and so much more that's overrunning D.C makes me wonder why people won't pack up and leave and find a better place to live.

"There also could have been different circumstances in D.C. seeing that it was the United State's capital. It's more likely it got hit my several times more nukes than the Mojave or most of California (Although i'll admit the L.A. "boneyard" would have been hit hard, but it was overrun by raiders in fallout 1 (I think it was fallout 1, might have been 2.)"

If D.C got hit hard the most, which I do agree with, then that leaves one question.

Why isn't D.C a crater? Why are there still building's like the Washington Monument, the White House, and so much more buildings still standing? Why is there anything in the D.C area? At least with New Vegas we got an explanation that House had a missile defense system that shot most of missiles down. Which is how Vegas remained mostly intact.

Lone Wolf:

I never understood this whole talk of "urr... FO3's world design is so much better than New Vegas!!!". I simply don't get it. Fallout 3 map was almost like a huge area divided into sections, it was very disconnected, and all the locations felt meaningless. The open world was beautiful though, and the atmosphere was beyond amazing, but that's it. After 200 yrs of the bombs drop, humanity should've been resconstructing themselves, not dragging themselves through the ashes. New Vegas felt much more believeable and realistic, the game was also more engaging to me as it didn't had that gray-green filter, it was just way more colorful. I also felt more determined to discover new areas, without knowing what I would find, maybe it would be a Legion invaded location like Nipton? Or a peaceful one like Novac? Or a NCR camp like Camp Golf? Or hell, even Vault 11, which in my opinion has one of the best storytelling I've ever seen! All the areas were connected and dependable to each other, I felt it was way better and realistic. I was much more engaged by exploring New Vegas than D.C, that's for sure.

Metallica:

@Lone Wolf, I think that Fallout 3's world is better than Fallout New Vegas's, but not by a large margin. I love Fallout New Vegas, i've just been defending Fo3 as being a good game.

Lewd Ness:

I see you deleted your response.

"I think that Fallout 3's world is better than Fallout New Vegas's, but not by a large margin. I love Fallout New Vegas, i've just been defending Fo3 as being a good game"

It's a mediocre game with terrible writing by Emil Plagiarism.

All you've been doing so far is providing extremely far fetched reasoning and head cannoning in order to justify Fallout 3's objectively bad writing and how the world doesn't even make any sense.

Metallica:

I proved your dumb arguments completely wrong while citing information from in-game and on the wiki. My comment is not missing, I deleted and resubmitted it in two different messages.

Read through it and realize you are wrong.

Lewd Ness:

"I proved your dumb arguments completely wrong while citing information from in-game and on the wiki."

And I proved how the writting is incredibly stupid and how the worldbuilding doesn't make sense.

I also proved how this information is also an example of bad and lazy writing.

My comment is not missing, I deleted and resubmitted it in two different messages."

I don't see the response. Sooo..

"Read through it and realize you are wrong."

I can't since I actually can't see the response.

Why don't you just admit Fallout 3 has bad writing?

Jesus, me too. Simple because is not true.

Let's see, I start my game in goodspings. Here I have a tutorial for combat and crafting, merchans, a guy that plays caravan, a snowglobe, and a quest where I can decide what faction I wanna join.

Next I go to Primm. There I encounter the NCR for the first time, a companion, a cassino that I will have the option to gambling in the future, a merchan, a caravan player, one side quest, one non marked quest (Ruby's cassarole) one part of the main quest.

After Primm, the Mojave Outpost. Again, merchans, caravan, two side quests, a guy with 100% in repair, a future companion, pieces of lore etc.

And so go on. I always have someone to talk, some item to collect, some quest to do in NV.

What I DONT HAVE is something or someone to shoot every 20 steps like F3 or F4. And that's how I like my Fallouts.

But a awesome thing in all Fallouts excepted NV is the random encounter. Obsidian drops the ball in this matter. Maybe because the short time to make the game?

Looks like they were just left out, as they are there but so few it doesn't even count. The hit squads and those two related to Star Bottlecaps and some other.

Alright, he finally resent his two responses to me and here it is.

Metallica90141

@Lewd Ness

"The only two things he's done to protect me is take me in to Vault 101. Then when he left he for some reason didn't take me with him and left me behind where the Overseer and the guards wanted me dead."

He left you because he felt you were safer in the vault. You were not to blame for his leaving and most likely would have been taken in for questioning, not to be killed.

"Yeah, he's a father who left me behind in a vault where I could've died, forced me to fight super-mutants, and killed himself only to prevent Autumn to do what he's doing but probably better. Not to save me at all."

You were the only one armed an able to clear out the super mutants, which I did prior to bringing them there in the first place... and Autumn, while less extreme than JHE, still remorselessly killed civilians to further the Enclave's goals (not sure i'd want someone like that running project purity). The Enclave have their own self interest in mind and would not help the random settlers of the waste.

"The idea that you could stop the leader of a big faction/army like the Enclave with a logical fallacy so easily is just beyond stupid."

Worked fine in the films Wargames, Terminator 3, and the TV show Battlestar Galactica. All a matter of opinion here.

"So they've been feeding their hunger with just cave plants and water. For almost 200 years. Yeah there is no way for the Little Lamplighters to even be able to survive this long on a diet like that."

It mentions on the wiki, cited to terminals and dialog in Little lamplight, that the children scavenge just like any other settlement. There is a restaurant in LL that sells all sort of food as well as giving away free moss to eat.

"Out of the remaining kids, Joseph teaches the kids classes. According to him, a few scavengers brought back holotapes for basic schooling, such as reading, basic math and encyclopedias from vaults." This quote is directly from the wiki page showing that scavenging was something that little lamplighters do.

"Alright, two problems with this. If they decided to settle in that crater because it protects them from massive dust storms, then why don't they just use Springvales houses as shelter or the school as a shelter for them? Why didn't they just use Super Duper Mart which is big enough for them to settle in and use it as shelter? It's much more safer than being near an active Atomic Warhead."

I answered this in my previous response. The founders met up with a group that came to be the children of atom. Both groups used the metal wings of the crashed plane (the one containing the bomb) to fortify the position. The wiki shows that many people left to find somewhere else to settle, but some stayed. The non-children of atom believe it to be more beneficial to stick with the group. The only catch to working with the CoA was that they needed to keep the bomb there (so they could worship it.)

"I'm honestly wondering how could someone like Lucas Simms be able to trust strangers that easily and let them wander in Megaton and fiddle around with an active Atomic Bomb which could kill them all. It also bothers me how no one in Megaton including Moira even thought of disabling the bomb just in case some stranger walks in and actually manages to detonate it."

I agree with you to some extent, but not entirely. I mean Moira probably has as much if not more explosive knowledge than a vault dweller..., but you could argue the same argument when asking why the NCR allows a random guy to go into HELIOS ONE and fiddle with the computer systems. I do get that there is a speech check, but it's only like 35.

I guess if you are dick to Simms he shouldn't let you near it, but I don't really play a bad character and defuse the bomb...

"How the government let a company like Vault Tec gain access to an important, dangerous, and top secret thing like FEV? Also why doesn't the scientists over at Mariposa decide to do the Evolutionary Experimentation at Mariposa Military Base? Where all the FEV research is transferred to."

I already mentioned it was a government vault. Yes, Vault Tech built it and worked with it, but you'd assume that the military scientists there were not affiliated with vault tech itself. The Government probably paid quite a bit of money to reserve a vault for their research. The Mariposa plant makes sense, but as the saying goes "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket". Makes sense for them to have research around the country.

"Why poison the water if no one in the Capital Wasteland is going to drink it? People seem to have purifiers that purifies the water so that could make poisoning the water with FEV pointless also it doesn't help that it seems not many people even have or need water. Sooo....why poison it in a water crisis instead of taking them out guns blazing instead?"

First of all the enclave, or unsuspecting BoS would hand out contaminated water as Aqua Pura as they do if you clean the water. If the enclave took permanent control of project purity they could distribute the water as being clean and free. People would eventually put 2 and 2 together and stop drinking the water, but a lot would die in the process. Then the Enclave could go in "Guns blazing". Going in Guns blazing from the first place is a little too risky imo, might as well try and weaken your opponents first right?

"That's like an incredible waste of soldiers and troops if you keep on doing this for like 20 years. Sending troops after troops deep into the ruins of D.C to kill super mutants without trying to figure out where their coming from. By doing this Lyons effectively caused the mutant population to grow since defenseless settlements are being raided by Mutants and settlers are taken captives and turned into more mutants."

Let's pretend that Lyon's stayed with his original mission, "Find Pre-war technology". He would still have to explore the deep parts of the ruins. The Brotherhood would STILL have to send out soldier to find ones that had gone missing from scavenging. Might be a waste of troops in your eyes, but then their whole objective is. It seems like they still have a good number of members too.

"So if they had knowledge of FEV being near D.C, why not send scouts or troops around the ruins of the city to try and trace where the mutants could be coming from? Lyons effectively wasted his resources on trying to cleanse the ruins of D.C of super mutants instead of sending his men to go out and find signs of mutants from other sources not counting D.C itself."

If the majority of mutants are in D.C. then you could assume that the source is there. Also, the Brotherhood know about vault 87, but have yet to investigate it. They have no idea that the FEV source is there. They are also most concentrated near citadel. Vault 87 is far to the west. The high radiation would prevent the BoS from investigating vault 87 in the first place, until they had good reason to go there. The only reason you go there is for a G.E.C.K.

@Lewd Ness, Continued ..

."So a community like Megaton relies on trading and hunting instead of growing their own food which is probably more efficient than trading or hunting constantly to feed an entire town? They've done this shtick for almost 200 years or so and never needed farms or crops to grow and produce more food?"

There is no evidence the Megaton was founded right after the bombs fell. It was founded probably around 2163 seeing that Manya Vargas said her grandfather helped found it (she was born in 2213) I just deducted 50 years from that. It's a rough estimate, but it makes Megaton only about 125ish years old. The water is highly contaminated nearby, and the piping system to "pure" water is failing. There is also little to no flat land nearby to practically farm, not to mention large amounts of nearby raiders that could hit a farm and run without having to attack the fortified Megaton. While farming may have been more efficient, I believe that hunting and trade could be plenty enough to keep them alive for those 125 years. Another reason for farms not really being a thing (sorry for the massive quote btw):

*("The D.C. area was hit more severely than the West Coast, due to its military and political significance, along with the fact that it lacked a defense system against nuclear attacks. As a result, the Capital Wasteland is an incinerated and barren desert, almost impossible to support life under normal circumstances. The local inhabitants are far more hostile and are only friendly to members of their group, such as the many raider tribes. Pockets of radiation are far more frequent and in higher concentrations. Purified water is extremely scarce as well as any kind of fresh food. The buildings in the D.C. ruins have been hit the hardest structurally as most are either destroyed, falling apart, literally falling into each other or barely standing. The streets are littered with rubble and are largely impassable, forcing explorers to rely on sewers and subways to navigate the city, most of which have caved in. Any functional buildings are either a constant war-zone or are heavily fortified by a group of wastelanders, mostly in the southeast section of the Wasteland. Most of the northern and southern parts of the Wasteland are far more habitable, but don't have enough pre-War resources to support many people. Thus only hermits, raiders, and wastelander families still inhabit these desolate areas. The countryside surrounding the DC area is almost entirely void of life and has quite a disturbing appearance. There is no flora, grass and bushes are shriveled, and have turned a sickly black or yellow in color. The trees are charred and are no more than dead husks which litter the wasteland as far as the eye can see. The soil itself is irradiated and scorched, making it unfit for farming purposes while the atmosphere has a permanent yellow-green haze caused by background radiation. There is never any form of precipitation adding to the difficulties of finding a clean water supply.")*

Directly from the wiki. Also to mention the Super Duper Mart having food, that is a problem in all of the Fallout games. Why to soda machines still have soda in them? Why do random desks in a school have .38 rounds in them. It's because it's a game...

I was wrong about Tenpenny Tower raiding settlements, didn't mean it in the same sense as say paradise falls.

"Yeah threats like Super Mutants, Slavers, Raider,s and so much more that's overrunning D.C makes me wonder why people won't pack up and leave and find a better place to live."

People are naturally turned away from change. I'd assume, although this would be on an individual basis, that people would rather take their chances in a place that is familiar than try their luck somewhere else. Your argument here is sound, but the problem is that people sometimes would rather not take a risk.

"Why isn't D.C a crater? Why are there still building's like the Washington Monument, the White House, and so much more buildings still standing? Why is there anything in the D.C area? At least with New Vegas we got an explanation that House had a missile defense system that shot most of missiles down. Which is how Vegas remained mostly intact."

The White house was a crater and the Capital Building was hit by the effects of a nuclear bomb, but not directly like the White House. D.C. was hit mostly by small warhead, with only a few megaton sized bombs: (*"In the Fallout world, megaton-class thermonuclear weapons had largely been retired by the major nuclear powers in favor of much smaller-yield warheads by the time of the Great War. An average strategic warhead in 2077 (with a few exceptions, such as the weapons which fell on Washington D.C.) had a yield of about 200-750 kilotons, but with a massive increase in radioactive fallout in place of thermal shock, much like a neutron bomb in our own world. However, despite the apparent reduction in raw explosive power, this arsenal was far more dangerous to the Earth's ecosystem, as it deposited far greater amounts of fallout in the atmosphere than had been assumed by pre-War models."*) directly from the Fallout Wiki. A megaton bomb, which is still much small than the bombs we use today, hit the White house as an example. Where as the Washington Monument was conveniently missed by an initial blast. The capital building wasn't directly hit, but was heavily damage by nearby locations. As you mentioned Vegas wasn't hit as hard, thus why there are more farms and livestock.

That's really the norm of Fallout 3 fans. They can come up with the most far fetched things and accept whatever writing they get but donnot appreciate coherence and the good in NV.
"Boring" well then go play STALKER of COD Zombies. Fallout isn't that.

Hey hey hey hey!

Don't lump Fallout 3 fans with STALKER.

6367.png

Aaaaa Nuuuu! Cheeki breeki!

I got into an arguement with a guy who said, and I quote:

What existed in OTHER game series is irrelevant. Most people bought and expected FALLOUT 4, not The Elder Scrolls 6: Boston. And viceversa. When I buy a TES game, I don't expect it to have terminators (no less than 5 Terminator games are also among previous Beth games), nor let me drive cars (like some of those other Bethesda games did, the Terminator ones included), nor do I expect piratey adventures in the Carribean (Pirates of the Caribbean is also a previous Beth games.)

What he's saying in this context is that a game company has no responsibility to build on the work they've done before. I've complained loud and long about the lack of features that were in Fallout 3 and Skyrim, which included horses (they did it for cats, why not horses?) even a ridable Giddyup Buttercup, the dual wielding and kill animations from Skyrim. Things which make sense in Fallout's world. And by the way....gen 3 synths are basically fleshier terminators, but that's the least of the issues.

And the notion that other games have done literally everything better than Fallout 4, years before? Irrelevant.

Two gems I remember in particular.

First gem:

A. You can try to straw man my argument as much as you want. It has nothing to do with doing anything you want with no repercussions, it has to do with logical responses to your actions. In New Vegas, people knew things you did, regardless of if they had any realistic way to know them or not. If you kill everyone in a remote outpost, how the flying hell is the faction supposed to know you did it like they do in New Vegas? Short answer... they couldn't, but they do anyways in New Vegas because of how poorly designed the faction rep system was, and don't in Fallout 4 because its based on far more tightly controlled scripted events.

Except faction armor didn't do what it said, because it was so broken you couldn't get a realistic response out of it, nor did it serve any purpose in normal questing.

The underlined bit made me spit my coffee back into the cup when I read it because of how profoundly stupid it was.

The user Thorlaserpunch did a pretty good job shitting on his arguments, though. Thor's response (post #32):

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/7615?start=30&tstart=0

Second Gem: Same guy as above. There was a thread about prostitution in Fallout 4 and lack thereof, and this guy basically posted some off-topic dribble about how there were sexual themes and prostitution, and how Cait implying she was used as a sex-slave in her past was beyond anything Bethesda had done in the past.

Just pure delusion.

^From that link
I appreciate your input thor, but I wouldn't say "Dumbed down". They changed focus from RPG-heavy elements to more streamlined and railroaded elements. These design choices being "Dumb" is a heavily subjective way to put it.

I don't think they were good choices and I agree with your general statements however, bar the ones referring to bringing IQ into the mix when it comes to game design...
The mental gymnastics some people forcefully impose upon themselves to made Bethesda's design decision less worse is amusing... and pathetic. 'Dumbing down' is basically a crude, more rude version of saying 'streamlining' (or rather, bad ones) and he's stating it in that same sentences.

Fun thread. I like this part

Honestly, I never player the original two or Fallout 3. I did however pick up New Vegas after getting Fallout 4 and watching videos on it. And it didn't take me long to go back to 4. Now I'm not at all bashing New Vegas, as it was an interesting game, and a lot of what I saw before I bought looked really good. However, You can't say that New Vegas was better because it was more leaning toward a traditional RPG at times, while 4 is more a sandbox/RPG/shooter hybrid. And while it has deficiances, because it gives more player freedom, Fallout 4 is a positive step for the series. The improved combat was just a small part of the overarching theme of allowing the player to have a larger impact in the world; one way being the settlement system. This is no longer just a RPG series, its evolved to much more than that.

:D

^From that link

The mental gymnastics some people forcefully impose upon themselves to made Bethesda's design decision less worse is amusing... and pathetic. 'Dumbing down' is basically a crude, more rude version of saying 'streamlining' (or rather, bad ones) and he's stating it in that same sentences.

They know it's crap but tell themselves it's good. Doublethink in action.

Fun thread. I like this part

:D
Holy fuck my brain..... ugh I can't handle that level of Bethestardness.
They know it's crap but tell themselves it's good. Doublethink in action.
I just can't understand that kind of mindset. Remember Gopher's most recent video on how the Dumbing Down of Fallout 4 was just a 'myth'? Same thing.

When the argument had to go down to how a former RPG franchise is turned into something other than what it was before, you know you only allow mediocrity and nothing else. See: Teen Titans GO and the likes of those abominable atrocities.

Gopher probably believes with full conviction that they dumbed down the game. He's just being tact about it as to not hurt his subscriber base which he's built up around Bethesda games.

Gopher probably believes with full conviction that they dumbed down the game. He's just being tact about it as to not hurt his subscriber base which he's built up around Bethesda games.

Agree. He even mentioned something like that in his F4 review.

Most big names back out on strong opinions on the franchises they are based around; a lot of "I replayed it and NOW I'm understanding it". SImilar happened with Dark Souls channels and DS3.
Perfectly understandable, anyway. You don't want to lose your fans for an opninion you can keep to yourself.

Back