Which mods/patches for Fallout 1&2?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
Hi, I'm new here.

I downloaded Fallout 1 and 2 from gog.com, do I need to install any mod/patch or not?
I'm going to play these two gems for the first time, so I wanna enjoy them properly.
Thanks in advance for some answers.

Fallout 1 is good to go, as long as you have the latest official version which is 1.1. Other mods can be added to your taste, but the game is perfectly playable.

The official version of Fallout 2 is broken as hell. It has hundreds, maybe thousands of glitches that were never fixed by Interplay, even with their patches. This is probably due to much of the game's content being cut before it was even completed. Thanks to Killap, however, this is no longer a problem. He has created a massive patch that took a couple of years to finish. It fixes the published game. He has also created the "Fallout 2 Restoration Project". This is an endeavor by Killap and others to restore all the aforemention cut/incomplete content, which was still crammed into the game's code. It adds many quests and new locations to the wasteland.

You can find both of these HERE.

To use either you should have the latest official version of FO2, version 1.02, which you probably do. Then use either the patch OR the FO2RP, not both. The patch is incorporated into the RP. There is one minor thing worth noting about the FO2RP. The content that they wanted to restore is complete. But, there are a few minor bugs left in the RP and Killap is working when he can to squash them. None of these bugs are game breaking, however. The next update will likely be the final one for the full English language version. The only update planned after that will be putting multilingual support back into the game.

Once again, other mods can be added to your taste, but either Killap's patch or the Restoration Project will give you a complete, playable FO2 game.

Richwizard said:
Fallout 1 is good to go, as long as you have the latest official version which is 1.1. Other mods can be added to your taste, but the game is perfectly playable.

The official version of Fallout 2 is broken as hell. It has hundreds, maybe thousands of glitches that were never fixed by Interplay, even with their patches. This is probably due to much of the game's content being cut before it was even completed. Thanks to Killap, however, this is no longer a problem. He has created a massive patch that took a couple of years to finish. It fixes the published game. He has also created the "Fallout 2 Restoration Project". This is an endeavor by Killap and others to restore all the aforemention cut/incomplete content, which was still crammed into the game's code. It adds many quests and new locations to the wasteland.

You can find both of these HERE.

To use either you should have the latest official version of FO2, version 1.02, which you probably do. Then use either the patch OR the FO2RP, not both. The patch is incorporated into the RP. There is one minor thing worth noting about the FO2RP. The content that they wanted to restore is complete. But, there are a few minor bugs left in the RP and Killap is working when he can to squash them. None of these bugs are game breaking, however. The next update will likely be the final one for the full English language version. The only update planned after that will be putting multilingual support back into the game.

Once again, other mods can be added to your taste, but either Killap's patch or the Restoration Project will give you a complete, playable FO2 game.

I have the Fallout Collection, by White Label and am trying to run is on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine, does all this advise still apply?
Just run F1 vanilla and install all of killap's stuff for F2?

Sorry to double post. I tried running Fallout 1 vanilla, it works, but i have the "rainbow colours" problem. I've googled but the things i tried don't seem to have made any difference.

Killap's mod works great in F2, looks brill.

Random Turnip said:
Sorry to double post. I tried running Fallout 1 vanilla, it works, but i have the "rainbow colours" problem. I've googled but the things i tried don't seem to have made any difference.

Killap's mod works great in F2, looks brill.
Check out my mod if you're having color problems. It includes the f1 high res mod which if run @ 16bit fixes the issue, and also includes two utilities that can also be used for fixing the colors issue.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57362&highlight=

hey im thinking about replaying fallout 1 and im wondering what mods should i download also what fallout 1 mods are curently in development

expansion80 said:
hey im thinking about replaying fallout 1 and im wondering what mods should i download also what fallout 1 mods are curently in development

look up, post right above yours. :D

Hey.

First post contains a lot of dead links, especially about Fallout 1 mods.

I'm currently having a hard time trying to find the res patch for Fallout 1...

If some admin could fix these dead link, it'd be great for everyone I guess. But this topic is nice work tho ;)

Hi,
There's a very usable wrapper for Fallout on Intel Macs over at PortingTeam.com, and it's receiving a lot of interest. I'm a first-time player of Fallout 1, and would like to know which patches to apply to this game to:
a) fix as many bugs and typos as possible
b) add d3d compatibility (this reduces strain on the CPU, which is vital for my MacBook Pro)
c) avoid as many gameplay changes (eg. cheats and additions) as possible.
So far I've DL'd the High-Res patch 3.06 and Fallout patch 1.3.5 ENG TeamX, though not yet applied them (I'm not yet sure how). Are there any others I should be applying?
Does the high-res patch include the d3d patch? Why does patch 1.3.5 contain a README for 1.3.3? Does the 1.3.3/1.3.5 patch contain any non-bug changes? Can I apply 1.3.3/1.3.5 mid-game? I'd read the README but it contains spoilers and may be out of date anyway.
Sorry for so many questions. Oh, and the README link for patch 1.3.5 ENG is 404.
Thanks all. :)

My mod does a lot of what you are asking for, but, it does add a few things to the game. Feel free to check it out (links in my sig) although as you say, reading through the What This Includes may contain spoilers.

Anyway, if you don't go that route, you'd want:
official 1.1
TeamX 1.2
TeamX 1.3.5
sfall/timeslip
hires
optionally you could get nimrod's dialog fixes, but i don't have a link to that at the moment. it's on a backup drive somewhere though...

I may be forgetting something but I think that's it.

Sduibek said:
Anyway, if you don't go that route, you'd want:
official 1.1
TeamX 1.2
TeamX 1.3.5
sfall/timeslip
hires
optionally you could get nimrod's dialog fixes, but i don't have a link to that at the moment. it's on a backup drive somewhere though...
Thanks for that. The default Fallout install is v1.2, so presumably I don't need "official 1.1" and "TeamX 1.2"? "sfall/timeslip" appears to be a mod for Fallout 2, not 1, according to the official webpage. And those dialogue fixes would be great - there're so many errors (like the Enforcers saying, "Wha'da want?" instead of, "Wha'd'ya want?" or similar). So please upload those if you can.
TeamX 1.3.5 is a tricky one: there's no clear way to install it. The instructions, if followed, would see the deletion of almost the entire Fallout data folder and its replacement with 3.5MB of files. I'd replace the files manually but they don't seem to correspond to any currently existing files.
The hires patch would also be nice, but getting it to install is not so easy when you're using a Wineskin wrapper on an Intel Mac. Finding help with this is ongoing.
I think I'm going to open a new thread for specific help.
Cheers.

If you have luck getting it to work feel free to drop me a PM... I'd like to include any mac/wine info along with my mod, what info exists anyway. I don't use either myself, but the more info the better for users/players :)

sfall IS for Fallout 2, or is now anyway. But for a while at the beginning, it supported Fallout 1 as well.

I'll see if I can find the dialog stuff. Here's links to the others:

f1res http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1370
sfall http://koti.mbnet.fi/ton_hur/files/fallout/sfall1.7z
TeamX http://teamx.ru/site_arc/patches/fallup13.rar

Why does the TeamX replace your data folder? I don't understand that, but maybe it's because you're using wine/mac.

Good luck!

@Sduibek: sorry for not replying sooner, this topic wasn't on my watch list :grr:

I've managed to get f1res to work - someone posted the solution on my thread at PortingTeam.com, and on the wrapper's comment list. See there for further details:
http://portingteam.com/files/file/7252-fallout-1/#commentsStart

Thanks for the link to the sfall for Fallout 1. Unfortunately my exe is the UK v1.2, and the patch requires US v1.2. Which leads us on to…

…TeamX. Well, just fyi, the patch you linked requires semi-official 1.2 before you can use it. That's in the ReadMe. But installing it is the problem. Here's the install instructions (for 1.2 semi-official & TeamX 1.3):
Copy compressed patch file into the directory that Fallout is installed to. Decompress patch using proper file decompression program such as UnRAR or WinRAR version 3.30+. Be sure extract the files using the option to include subdirectories. Answer 'Yes' when prompted to overwrite existing files.
The "compressed patch file" must be the file I downloaded: Fallout_1_TeamX_Patch_ENG_1.2w.zip
I copy that into C:/Program Files/GSP/Fallout/. I decompress it by double-clicking, which produces a folder called: Fallout_1_TeamX_Patch_ENG_1.2w.
But clearly that's not what's supposed to happen, because the falloutw.exe doesn't get over-written. So, maybe I'm supposed to take the contents of the folder, and put that into C:/Program Files/GSP/Fallout/ ? Well, if I did that the following would happen:
  • falloutw.exe would be over-written by the patched falloutw.exe - this is good :)
    data (folder) would be over-written by the patch's DATA (folder) - this is bad. :( In doing so, I'd lose over 300MB of game files, including my saved games.
I think what's supposed to happen is that the files in the DATA folder (provided by the patch) are supposed to overwrite files that are somehow part of master.dat. But I've no idea how that's supposed to happen.
Here's what my Fallout install looks like:
914f4c85cdd229762ec5e9970c9b326e.png

That's pretty bog-standard. The only non-standard things are the obvious things: the three f1_ files, the two ddraw files and the Fallout1_H…h_3.06.exe file. Other than that, that's how Fallout installs by default.
I'd like to include any mac/wine info along with my mod, what info exists anyway. I don't use either myself, but the more info the better for users/players
Totally agree. If we get this sorted together, I'll post a link on the Fallout page at PortingTeam (or even better, ask the wrapper maintainer to add it to his description) directing them to a walkthrough or whatever here at NMA. :)

Norm_Hull said:
data (folder) would be over-written by the patch's DATA (folder) - this is bad. Sad In doing so, I'd lose over 300MB of game files, including my saved games.
Windows will merge them by default, does your OS not do this?

The newer versions of Windows handle it better than older version (e.g. Windows 7 versus Windows XP) by going through and confirming for each file if you want to replace, not replace, or replace but keep the original. This after asking if you want to merge folders. Screenshot:

(put in Spoiler tags since it's wide)
[spoiler:aea6503b07]
5b7ccj.jpg
[/spoiler:aea6503b07]

> Windows will merge them by default, does your OS not do this?

Nope, MacOS completely replaces duplicate folders. To merge them like Windows does, you need to run Terminal (it's in Applications/Utilities) and type:
Code:
cp -rp (drag-and-drop the files to add) (drag-and-drop the destination folder then press RETURN)
So to merge DATA directories, your command will look something like:
Code:
cp -rp /(wherever you unarchived)/DATA /(the path down)/GSP/Fallout
It's easier to use any available .EXE installer with Wineskin's "Install Windows Software" command. Ignore the "can't find new executable" warning since you're adding data files, not programs.

:shock: Wow, that makes me hate MacOS even more. What a stupid useless default functionality. :evil:

@Stevex: Thank you for that, I'll keep it in mind when doing any patches or instructions for Mac/Linux users going forward.

If you dislike that, you'll really hate what's needed to protect the files in DATA/proto/items and DATA/proto/critters. After all mods have been added, run Terminal and type:
Code:
sudo chown -R root (drag-and-drop the .../items and .../critters folders)
(Type in your password)
sudo chmod -R 444 (drag-and-drop the .../items and .../critters folders)
sudo chmod 1777 (drag-and-drop the .../items and .../critters folders)
sudo -k
Fallout2 is now prevented from overwriting the files on startup and deleting them on exit.

Back