Which mods/patches for Fallout 1&2?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
Stevex said:
If you dislike that, you'll really hate what's needed to protect the files in DATA/proto/items and DATA/proto/critters. After all mods have been added, run Terminal and type:
Code:
sudo chown -R root (drag-and-drop the .../items and .../critters folders)
(Type in your password)
sudo chmod -R 444 (drag-and-drop the .../items and .../critters folders)
sudo chmod 1777 (drag-and-drop the .../items and .../critters folders)
sudo -k
Fallout2 is now prevented from overwriting the files on startup and deleting them on exit.
On the plus side, I haven't seen this be necessary for Fallout 1. In my modding/gaming I've not seen it be an issue. I follow the same procedure regardless just in case, but I don't think it likes to go through and delete stuff like its successor does.

Ok, so, like i thought, there's a fundamental difference between Windows® and OS X that's creating issues here.
So, to clarify:
1) Falloutw.exe from the patch should overwrite (and thereby replace) my current, default copy of Falloutw.exe
2) I should move the …/DATA/SCRIPTS folder from the patch into …/data/ in my current install (I should point out here that I have no nested folder called "Scripts" anywhere in my current "data" folder. I'm assuming that the new EXE has been rewritten to look for SCRIPTS in this location).
3) I should move the …/DATA/TEXT/ENGLISH/DIALOG folder from the patch into …/data/text/ in my current install (I should point out I don't currently have any nested folder called "Dialog" anywhere in my current "data" folder, I'm assuming that the new EXE has been rewritten to look for DIALOG in this location).
4) I should merge the contents of …/DATA/TEXT/ENGLISH/GAME/ from the patch with the contents of …/data/text/english/game/ from my current install. (I should once again point out that none of the files I'll be merging into this folder currently exist there, or anywhere in my "data" folder". All I have is a "ScrnSet.msg")

Right?

PS: @sduibek:
Wow, that makes me hate <insert competing OS here> even more. What a stupid useless default functionality.
Fixed that for ya! :)

Your assumptions are correct!

The directory structure where the files are going will look something like:

(fallout_dir)/DATA/SCRIPTS/*.int
(fallout_dir)/DATA/TEXT/ENGLISH/DIALOG/*.msg
(fallout_dir)/DATA/TEXT/ENGLISH/GAME/*.msg

An easy way to make sure they overwrote properly is to look at the version in the bottom-right when running the game -- it should display 4.1

Or, you can check MISC.MSG file in the GAME folder above -- On line 24 you should have the patch's version:
Code:
{14}{}{FALLOUT 1.2 (c) 1996-1998 Interplay Productions & Black Isle Studios.  FIXT Alpha 4.1 by Sduibek}

Sduibek,
didn't work, and tbh i'm too tired with the whole thing to continue, at least at the moment. I'll PM you when I begin to regain interest, and maybe we can thrash this thing out then.

If you fancy, you can always try mucking about with this yourself - it's now possible to run OS X 10.7 "Lion" in a VM. You could fiddle around, see what you come up with. Good luck! :)

Oh, btw, turns out OS X gained a merge feature of sorts in 10.7 "Lion" - but it's _not_ what you expect and frankly not worth using - far too buggy.

Thanks for all the help.

Recommended patches/fixes/etc for 1st time FO1 playthrough?

I have the gog.com version of Fallout 1, and there seem to be quite a few available patches/fixes available for FO1. I'm most interested in ones that fix what most people consider to be legitimate bugs, and not so much ones that tweak the game's original design.

Are there any unofficial patches, fixes, mods, etc., that are highly recommended by the Fallout community, even for a first-time playthrough?

Should I use (Do I need?) the children patch? - Link

What about the armor piercing ammo patch/fix? - Link. Is this a legit bug, or more of a preference thing?

I've also heard about some Cathedral fix/patch? Not sure what that is.

And which of these 3 Hi-Res patches should I use? 1, 2, or 3?

If there are any others, like some of the unofficial patches on this page: (Link) that I should install, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Fallout 1 officially patched is pretty much bug free actually.
Ignore the other stuff.
Even the resolution patch is annoying because it's 2d.

You should install the Children one. My understanding is that GOG is based on European version of Fallout which didn't/doesn't have children. See here http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59651&highlight= and http://www.gog.com/en/forum/fallout_series/children/page1 if you care to do a bunch of reading, but yes you want the children patch.

AP Ammo patch is highly disputed. Some say it fixes the issue, others say it does nothing. Ultimately though both sides agree that the issue is with the code itself (in falloutw.exe) so changes to items will NOT fix it entirely. The only true fix to the AP Ammo issue would be a hex or assembly edit. For me personally, I go ahead and use the items, but don't assume it'll make AP ammo great -- you probably won't notice a difference.

Always always always use newest version of the hi-res patch unless you encounter issues specific to it (getting a black screen instead of the intro movie, that sort of thing). Each version he adds new stuff and fixes other stuff. Current version is 3.0.6 -- as PlanHex said it's up to personal preference, but if you're going to use the hi-res patch always use the newest version. Me personally, I never run at anything but 640x480 but I use it anyway because it fixes the issues with the colors going all crazy if I put it into 16 or 32 bit mode, which is reason enough for me.

Same goes with sfall/ddraw - you don't technically need it, but being able to boost the game speed (Fo1 runs sluggish on some systems for no reason) and use of the mouse wheel is reason enough for everyone to use it.

I would personally highly recommend the TeamX 1.3.5 patch. Their NPC patch is a matter of personal taste -- without it you can't get your NPCs to change armor and having them change weapons is annoying, but it's not at all necessary to play the game. Whereas the 1.3.5 patch fixes a bunch of issues with the game, so you really have nothing to lose by installing it.

is fallout fixt compatible with gog fo1 version ? Would love to give it a go once its out of alpha.

I cant wait for a restoration project, the game really has so few towns or green circles on this huge map, its mindbogling.

If now only someone could program some randomization so i dont know in advance every time what im gonna get from all the chests stores in advance :(

bigger map + randomization of items/npcs + ( now im really dreaming, xcom or ja2) environment destruction) aaaghr the perfect replayable game :)

Pesticide said:
is fallout fixt compatible with gog fo1 version ?
Yes.

Re: your other ideas... I like them, but don't hold your breath ;) We do what we can but some things are harder to code than others. It's good to talk about though, at the very worst it gets a discussion going about what the fans/community is looking for. At best, it's something that does get added to a mod/restoration!

[specifics] For example as it stands, Fallout reads every script for every object individually, and loot container contents are usually coded on the map itself. So randomization is possible but it would have to be scripted manually for everything (linking the map objects to the scripts is easy though). It wouldn't be *difficult*, just time-consuming.

Should this thread be "un-stickied" and replaced with a new thread? It appears that whoever created the thread no longer has an account on the forum, and nearly all of the links in the first post are dead. Given that the purpose of making this thread a sticky post is to make it convenient for new users to find resources, expecting them to scour through 25 pages of posts to find working links doesn't seem very friendly.

With Steam having both Fallout games on sale today for a bit over $3 each, I pointed a bunch of friends to the sale and to this thread for suggestions on mods to install to make the games more pleasant to play on modern systems... then I realized that I was pointing them to a dead linkfarm. :(

Well to be fair, only half the links in the OP are dead ;)

From my understanding, there's about a dozen mods for Fallout 1, give or take, and many mods for Fallout 2. There's also a fixing-broken-things patch for Tactics that I learned about recently.

My understanding is that Fallout 2 Restoration Project (by killap) is your best bet for Fallout 2 if you're looking for bug fixes and restored content. You want sfall as well but I think F2RP comes with that. And the hi-res mod.

My mod is the goal to be the only one you'll need for Fallout 1 (geez I seem to be promoting it a lot lately...) because it includes all the other ones, such as TeamX patches, Children restoration, TeamX NPC mod, etc. It doesn't yet include Revisited (major revisions of HP, damage and armor) but that will also be an optional install eventually.

So, for me personally, if I wanted to play the "fixed and not total conversion mod" of each game, I'd do F2RP and F1FIXT. But, others can chime in because I'm probably biased :P :lol:

Re: Mods

SorgFall said:
Are there finished mods for Fallout or Fallout 2?

I remember a while ago, a couple of years ago, all were in mid-production stage. Can anyone inform me if some were finished in the meantime?

I don't suppose anyone knows any supported released total conversion mod for either F1 or F2?

I have a stupid question here.

I have been playing FO1 a bit lately, but this is my first time with the unofficial patches. I have installed both the semi-official and unofficial TeamX patches, and in the main menu it still lists my version as "1.2". Is this normal, or did I do something wrong? I don't really want to play the bugged version on my second playthrough.

Thanks.

Crosmando said:
I have a stupid question here.

I have been playing FO1 a bit lately, but this is my first time with the unofficial patches. I have installed both the semi-official and unofficial TeamX patches, and in the main menu it still lists my version as "1.2". Is this normal, or did I do something wrong? I don't really want to play the bugged version on my second playthrough.

Thanks.
Yeah it will still say 1.2, TeamX didn't change the menu version display.

It's been a long time since I played FALLOUT 2.

Any tips on what files I should get?

I'm getting the latest Restoration Project by killap, do I still need other patches like the Unofficial Patch, the Children Patch, the Resolution Patch and so on? Or are they included in killap's RP?

Back