Witcher 2

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Ravager69, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Starseeker

Starseeker Vault Senior Citizen

Jul 25, 2003
    But isn't that only for pre-ordered versions? From the wording, it seems that it's used to prevent people from leaking it before world wide release? Would that still be required after a certain date? Maybe I can wait for the gold version again, without any drm at all.

2. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    They might remove it already with the first patch or something. Who knows ? Happens with some games.

I would NEVER buy any unpatched game today anyway.

3. SmartCheetah

SmartCheetah It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 23, 2009
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrxhxdVot2Q[/youtube]
    "Newest" gameplay from the conference. Polish dubbing, I warn ye!

Guy is describing elixir mechanics, weapon oils, traps, exploration, and few abillities in combat. Nothing really new.

I wonder how big the actual game world will be. I always liked the idea of "open world" in games.

4. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    I only like the Open World if it ads something to the game. So when you have reasons to explore it or to get back and do some quests. Sand Box games usualy are just boring. But it is clear TW2 will not be "Sand Box".

5. SmartCheetah

Feb 23, 2009
    Yeah, it's nice to have big open world to explore and stuff, but after you realize that it's filled with content only in small percent - something's wrong.
    It's actually cool when you know that certain area might be good for treasure hunting or finding something connected to lore/quests. Also I like the idea of travelling and getting ambushed by bandits or monsters, while many sandbox titles had totally unsuprising static spawn points :roll:

TW2 devs say that this "open world" comes with many meaningful elements you might find in wilderness. We'll see how they can handle it.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Awesome stuff! I can only understand 60-70% of what's being said, but what I'm seeing/hearing looks like more of the same as TW1 except better and better-looking.

Somehow I expect it not to be too different from TW1. TW1 was fairly "open" with lots of stuff to explore, but most of the time it was just collecting ingredients and doing side-quests. No problem with that, personally.

7. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    That was one thing that made me stop playing Witcher 1. This really tedious always running around from A to B and back and again and blah. I don't have anything against collecting things and stuff, but only if they don't send me over the whole map all the time. Hope that Witcher 2 makes this a bit less tedious.

8. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    Considering TW classifies itself as an "action-RPG", it was not nearly as bad as it could've been; remember grinding for drops in Diablo? In TW2 most of the time if you collected stuff as you go, you had enough components for anything most of the time - and you could always choose to ignore the "collect x ingredients" quests, which I did quite a bit, I must admit.

9. SmartCheetah

Feb 23, 2009
    [spoiler:d7e788f429]http://www.skillpoint.se/text/the-witcher-2-stor-bildspecial[/spoiler:d7e788f429]
    Screens from Preview build. TITS!
    Warning as they contain a few spoilers!(I've actually stomped into one pretty big :/ Stupid game-journalists)

10. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    Ooh, nice.

But wtf are dragons doing in my Witcher?

11. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Alpharius oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Well, dragons do appear in Sapkowski's works, or are at least mentioned.

12. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    Well, neve read cause I don't care much for fantasy outside of games. I just hope it doesn't get too dragon-agy.

13. SmartCheetah

Feb 23, 2009
    Yeah, dragons were mentioned and one even travelled with Geralt(In human form, of course) :D They are extremely rare so I believe we won't see any more than this one.

14. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    well knowing that in the first game you had situations where the monsters have been more then just dumb enemies and would give you chances to have conversations like with any other NPC I hope the dragon will be much more then just a simple creature to kill in some epic boss battle.

15. SmartCheetah

Feb 23, 2009
    I bet that there wouldn't be an option to kill this dragon. Even in books whole big group of people kinda failed, so... Geralt have no chance with such a creature. I'll be very dissapointed if they WILL implement 1person dragon slaying :|

16. Hamenaglar

Hamenaglar It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 2, 2009
    Apparently there will be no more isometric perspective anymore :(.

After seeing all about the game: short dialogue version, too colorful graphics, arcadish-consolified combat and no iso-perspective. I don't think I'll be buying it.

I'd rather replay the first.

17. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I would appreciate an isometric perspective, but I can sort of see why they'd move away from it. Designing all the environments to be compatible with both a close-up third-person camera and a zoomed-out one would be hard (you'd need to make sure you could avoid camera clipping issues and level design oversights, and speaking from experience with Dragon Age, it's really hard to avoid issues where the camera can pull behind a wall and see through half the level), plus the new combat system does not lend itself well to the zoomed-out perspective at all.

But really, the graphics are too colourful? The Witcher 2 is one of the few games with actual colour in it that I've seen in a long time, that doesn't go for a cartoony sort of style. It's got a very mystical/fantasy vibe going on and I think it works beautifully.

18. Hamenaglar

Hamenaglar It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 2, 2009
    They did it for first with out a problem. And while I understand that combat doesn't lend it self to isometric perspective, that's what I don't like. I don't really want to dodge blows and constantly thump on my keyboard and mouse. I want my character to do it. If I'd want that I type of gameplay I'd play combat games, or FPS or Tomb Raider or something, not an rpg.

It's what I dislike about the new Witcher. They are moving it towards more action and fast-paced gameplay and I don't like it. I didn't fall in love with the Witcher because of the action elements. From what I understand, there won't be a pause game button anymore, but a slow-mo instead.

To each his own I guess. But this graphics look so ugly to me. From an artistic point (from what screens I've seen), TW1 looks much better to me. And the bloom, oh my, everything is so shiny.

19. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    Considering that it was absolutely useless in the first game, I'm not surprised. No really, I tried to play it zoomed out, NWN-style, it just didn't work.

TW1 was quite action-packed and combat-oriented, and from what i've seen the second one's just making the combat more interesting. I'd take a complex combo system over repetitive clicking any day.

Graphics-wise, I don't know what the problem is, since from what few trailers I've seen the game looks gorgeous and certainly isn't an example of going overboard with bloom. Plus I'm sure there'll be a plenty of graphics options to make the game look as dull and ugly as you'd like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKoZCHYJ4p4

20. SmartCheetah

Feb 23, 2009
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUhqDbNzm90[/youtube]
    :clap:
    I always loved "living" world in RDR, GTA games and Gothic series. It might be really simple - like just travelling thru streets or making some simple task day after day. It adds so much to the overall immersion. Good that they pushed this feature into TW2.