1UP interview with Emil

Interview with Emil in short

Emil: We like holes in the main plot and we decided to use Fallout franchise for our ideas of coolness without taking a second thought about them.

And we don't give a damn, we like it, and if you don't like it then fuck off. We still get milions for what we do!

Beelzebud said:
If I had some talent I'd redo the South Park Indiana Jones episode to be Bethesda's head honchos raping the Vault Boy.

lol man...When I first saw it, I couldn't help but think of Fallout during the whole episode. It was...rather sad actually. :(

Worst story loophole in Fallout 3?

When you find the GECK activate it so that it transforms the whole planet anew (although possibly killing all life in the process but Fallout 2 proves that doesn't happen).

Yet...they used the GECK just to clean the water...

MrBumble said:
Beelzebud said:
If I had some talent I'd redo the South Park Indiana Jones episode to be Bethesda's head honchos raping the Vault Boy.

lol man...When I first saw it, I couldn't help but think of Fallout during the whole episode. It was...rather sad actually. :(

I saw this one a couple of days ago, and I was comparing it to Fallout/Bethesda too.
Indiana Jones as the Vault Boy, Spilberg as Todd Howard, Lucas as Pete, but we would still need another guy for Emil now :P

quotes from article:
but so much about Fallout 3 is about exploring the world and discovering what's out there,
You can see where a major priority with beth is "exploring" did he mention anything about story? Are they making an exploring simulator or an RPG? Maybe they are confused what is what.

So, in the end, the player's left with a, "Huh, why the hell can't they do it?!" sort of feeling. So the story does kind of break down. But you know what? We knew that, and were OK with it, because the trade-off is, well, you get these cool followers to join you.
Not going to repeat myself (see my original comment in locked previous thread if you like)

So if we'd planned better, we could've addressed that more satisfactorily
OH...YES! Nice of you to admit to not planning well.

BTW "afterthoughts" is an appropriate name for the interview.

So, in the end, the player's left with a, "Huh, why the hell can't they do it?!" sort of feeling. So the story does kind of break down. But you know what? We knew that, and were OK with it, because the trade-off is, well, you get these cool followers to join you.

I dislike how he says they were cool with having a massive plot hole. Might be fine for them but no thought goes to the players apart from some followers which are optional while the plot sadly isn't. :roll:

another example of how bethesda lies through their TEETH

pre-production adverts: "IMMERSION is KEY! we want people to get LOST and INVESTED in the STORY and its BELIEVABILITY!"

post-production afterthoughts: "well, we weren't really going for a great story after all, because its ok with us if the plot doesn't make sense. after all, YOU GET TO HAVE AWESOME LACKEYS!"

really? really????????

sonicblastoise said:
pre-production adverts: "IMMERSION is KEY! we want people to get LOST and INVESTED in the STORY and its BELIEVABILITY!"

Please don't do this. Making up fake quotes, no matter how true to life they are, is simply working against your aim. Not only will the opposition refute it absolutely by saying you made it up, but you will lose general credibility in the process. Take two minutes on Google next time: "there are other moments too, key moments during the game, that greatly determine which ending you get" -Emil.

Please don't do this.

Who cares :lol:

It's not like we are debating whether Fallout 3 sucks or not :). They would still refute it one way or another anyway. Because they live in their own immersive world.

TyloniusFunk said:
Please don't do this. Making up fake quotes, no matter how true to life they are, is simply working against your aim. Not only will the opposition refute it absolutely by saying you made it up, but you will lose general credibility in the process. Take two minutes on Google next time: "there are other moments too, key moments during the game, that greatly determine which ending you get" -Emil.
That was pretty accurate paraphrasing, barring the obvious disdain inlaid in the tone, of course. They used immersion as the Swiss Army Knife excuse, if there was a concern or a change it was done because of immersion. Now that the game has been released, they've toned it down to a minimum and don't note problems that affect it or, rather, that it affects immersion.

Liberty Prime?:lol:

The more I hear the gladder I am that I never played this game.
I never played OB or FO3, I just watched as much of the 'Making Of" video as was possible, that pretty much assures me that these are games by people that I don't want to have anything to do with.

Rosh was right.

UncannyGarlic said:
TyloniusFunk said:
That was pretty accurate paraphrasing, barring the obvious disdain inlaid in the tone, of course. They used immersion as the Swiss Army Knife excuse, if there was a concern or a change it was done because of immersion. Now that the game has been released, they've toned it down to a minimum and don't note problems that affect it or, rather, that it affects immersion.
Now as you say that I can only completely agree.

When ever a change had to be done, almost anything you would hear was that its for the immersion. You could get this numerious times from either Todd, Emil or any other of the important personalities in the Fallout 3 dev team as justification for a lot of decisions. When ever it was bout a known "Fallout" feature from the past games it was "unimmersive" and thus had to be changed in the process but every slopy design decision from Oblivion never was really ever consideret to be unimersive, like the quest marker for example, or fast travel and a few other parts of the game that would contradict immersive gameplay and feeling.

Plissken said:
Worst story loophole in Fallout 3?

When you find the GECK activate it so that it transforms the whole planet anew (although possibly killing all life in the process but Fallout 2 proves that doesn't happen).

Yet...they used the GECK just to clean the water...
Yes. The GECK should've been used as some magical all-solving arcane artifact that transforms the entire world, even though it's only a suitcase with some processing equipment, a generator, powdered chemical glue, activation codes to let the Vaults do something they should have been able to in the first place, and seeds. Oh, and a pen flashlight.

no, gecks were what "terraformed" the surrounding area of the vault into a "civilized" area to settle and begin your life outside the vault.

they were not supposed to do the world, just the area outside your vault.

The lead designer and the man in charge specifically for “literary part” of this game.:clap:

After reading whole interview, I find it very sad, and ironically funny, in a same time.

That “laid back” attitude is simply amazing...

If you ever heard someone like this guy, it is obvious he speaks about something that he doesn’t understand. He knows what the picture looks like, but he doesn’t have a clue what it actually means to people who played previous games. On the other hand, maybe they [HQ devs] do, but don’t really care. It’s another option but I doubt it.

This logic is a pure arrogance out of stupidity, lack of insight and laziness. And I rarely label something like that. “Hey, but who cares? It’s selling well, hence it’s ok”… :roll:

I can’t believe that one AAA title could be made this way in respect to the story, C&C and RPG parts.

Imo, all that is good in this game, has been done by low-level devs who tried to do impossible. To patch up something that is so broken that it barely hangs together. For an adult game.

Damn you, average IQ… And consolization…

//rant

TheWesDude said:
no, gecks were what "terraformed" the surrounding area of the vault into a "civilized" area to settle and begin your life outside the vault.

they were not supposed to do the world, just the area outside your vault.
The GECK was an idol symbolic with some sense of "hope", when the real miracle of rebuilding was in the human cooperation and the actual work that went forward in the effort. Tends to the property of humanity to pass from their ego in preference to the divine.

The real thing that helped Arroyo: Fertilizer.

A Line In The Sand

A Line In The Sand

Testimony that there could be such a thing as "too much fun".

"Emil Pagliarulo Writes for Edge"

http://www.edge-online.com/blogs/emil-pagliarulo-writes-edge

Emil Pagliarulo said:

And here comes the struggle again: At the end of the day, I feel like I’m an adult and I’m conscious of my buying decisions. I’m not making a game for an eight-year-old; I’m making a game for a 38-year-old like me, so I’m okay with the content. It’s really tough for me because I am an adult who likes to play M-rated games, and so are many of the people reading this article, as well as many of those who’ve been following the development of Fallout 3 since day one.

Maybe it’s arrogant to think this way, but damn it, it’s my god-given right to blow guys’ heads off if I want to in my videogames!

Nevertheless, I still think there is a certain social responsibility to not make things too violent. Fallout 3 is very violent, but the violence is cartoony. Sometimes you’ll shoot a guy in the head and it won’t explode; it takes the whole head off. Is it realistic? No, it’s funny, and it becomes cool because of that.

We’re grown-ups, we can make and play something like this. We think it’s funny, we think it’s fun and people have been agreeing with that. We don’t want to cross lines like killing kids (we actually never got as far as even putting kill-able kids in any builds of the game). For us, that was a line we certainly didn’t want to cross, and we think that was the right decision. It wouldn’t have been socially responsible, at least in the case of Fallout 3.

Quick read for another FO3 design decision,
quotes to note the Emil cool factor in action,
and the line in the sand ...
beyond which the splatter humor ain't funny no mo'.

......... Edit ...

Oh, and the real action in the 'prestigious' EDGE lays in comments beneath Emil's violence content rationalizations.

4too

Bethesda lead designer talks about what is socially responsible or not, about what is fun and mature...What a world...

Back