Detroit, post-apocalypse

I'd freak out f I fell in there. Don't now why, it's just water, but I'd freak out!

You think that's creepy water? That's not creepy water. I'll tell you what creepy water is.

You walk through this gate...
23397346.jpg

...walk down a damp corridor...
23397265.jpg

...which opens up in a large room with this horror in the middle!

bunar-1.jpg

Now the pics are pretty shit but we're talking about a well in a shape of a round hole in the floor, NO railing around it, 3,4 meters in diameter, water surface 30 or so meters below the lip of the well and the water another 50 meters deep.

Freaked the fuck out of me when I was little.

And yes, people died down there. Quite a few apparently.

That is creepy... What is it, just a big ass well or some sort of facility? I don't like the 'no railing' concept...

Well the history is a bit sketchy. Apparently it was dug between 1717 and 1732 to provide water for the fortress. They failed to hit underground reservoirs but the well is being filled anyway (they don't know exactly how - filtering from the top of the fortress or siphoning action from the waters below).

The water is known to actually rise when there's no precipitation and the water levels of the river below are dropping so who knows?

Some stories also tell that between it being dug and filling with water there was a period when the well was used as a dungeon/oubliette. I don't know how reliable these are but in the sixties a team of divers found two human skeletons at the bottom. Also, in 1954 a deranged husband murdered his wife and threw her down the well.

Oh, and apparently there's a grate over the well now. It wasn't there when I came to visit as a kid!

Ah Teen said:
They actually had two endings. The other was a bit more... flowery and happy but I thought it was better than popping the grenade.

Sadly, that shit of a movie destroys entirely the concept which made the novel interesting. The "I am legend" title doesn't refer to a doctor of legendary skills.

[spoiler:4198c50dcf] Throughout the novel, Neville is revealed to be the last human left on Earth. He methodically destroys the vampires when they sleep, and stays inside his home/fortress at night, where he's regularly approached by many vampires who unsuccessfully try to convince him to join him. At the end of the novel, he realizes that in fact, it's the vampires that are 'normal' and that, to them, he has become a creature that arrives when they sleep in order to kill them.. So Neville in fact realizes he had become what he thought he was exterminating, a legend, a vampire.[/spoiler:4198c50dcf]

So yes. The script was dumbed down to a summer action hit starring Will Smith. How nice!

Hell, if I stray off the beaten path on my way to school in St. Petersburg, Russia, I feel like I'm in a post-apoc setting. Sometimes it's like the back streets in New Reno, sometimes like Necropolis.

And that's just St. Petersburg. I bet Moscow has some even crazier areas in the 'burbs; and then there're the other towns and cities of Mama Russia. Oh boy :crazy:

Heh, I'm not there right now. I want to go on some sketchcrawls into places like that when I get back to Russia. I'm home on the summer break right now. Pictures have to wait 'til then

Back