Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Korin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Serge 13

Serge 13 Pyramids, babe! Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    I am glad I read this before buying Skyrim for the PS3. It's interesting, it has been almost 4 years since the release of Fallout 3 and bethesda hasn't done a single move to solve this problem, not to mention that they now have a "all new engine" for Skyrim. Wonderful! It was obviously written from scratch, no doubt there! :roll:

2. Josan

Josan Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 23, 2003
    I've been lucky. I haven't encountered any serious problems yet. I'm got a level 52 character and a save file of 14MB. It gets a little choppy if I've been playing a long session but quitting out and restarting always fixes that.

Of course, having said that, I'm now going to suffer horribly the next time I play...

3. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    http://www.bethblog.com/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/

Translation from another forum:

4. Serge 13

Serge 13 Pyramids, babe! Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    God, do I hate bethesda! And I am not nitpicking here, it's just pretty damn obvious that these guys are assholes.

5. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    oh, but they're rushing the CK to be released so that modders can fix their game. who needs patches? :roll:

6. Black

Black Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 21, 2007
  7. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Who is this chick? And what is she trying to tell me? Sex and gaming go hand in hand...

Her "Top 10 Favorite Games" are meh...

1. Uncharted 2
    2. BioShock
    3. God of War
    4. Fatal Frame
    5. Silent Hill 2
    6. Eternal Darkness
    7. Dragon age: Origins
    8. Super Mario Bros. 3
    9. Super Mario Sunshine
    10. Conker’s Bad Fur Day

8. Akratus

Akratus Bleep bloop.

May 14, 2011
  9. Black

Jun 21, 2007
    No idea, except she knows that liking something doesn't mean it's good.

10. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    Wow, she did make a lot of sense there. I felt very much the same about the game except my enjoyment of it wore off by now. Nice of her to review it like this, if she keeps making sense she might not even need to shove her tits in viewers faces anymore.

Hey now, Silent Hill 2 is awesome.

11. Black

Jun 21, 2007
    I kind of agree, tits are gay.

12. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    No...tits are nice, games are gay. :mrgreen: and yes Silent Hill 2 was awesome.

13. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    which in itself is pretty intelligent to say that.

I mean one can like something and still be critical about it. I wish more gamers would have that kind of sense. Might have avoided crap like Oblivion. Imagine Oblivion would have been like Skyrim. Then Skyrim now would be even much better and we would have a "real" good open-world-RPG. And not a game which requires "addiction" to be played - I think that really well describes the kind of games Bethesda is making. You don't play them because you "want" to play them but because you have the feeling you "have" to. Somewhat like those F2P games where you hate grinding. Yet you always come back ...

14. Driver Nephi

Driver Nephi First time out of the vault

Dec 5, 2011
    Still havent bought this. Im kinda sceptical... Fallout without the guns ?

Or is it totally different and so good I should just buy it right now?

15. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    it's not Fallout without guns. it's barely an rpg, but rather a pretty damn entertaining exploration adventure/dungeon crawler. if you're into that, get it. if not, don't.

16. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    She has very manly face. and that list sucks.....

17. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Before this topic gets sidetracked even more by someones opinions of someone elses opinions here's the latest patch notes.

Patch 1.3 Notes:

General stability improvements
    Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs
    Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
    Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
    Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
    Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
    Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

18. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    Glad to see that Bethesda is keeping up with the technology with that focus on dual-core CPUs. It's not like anyone has quad-core or more, nah, just dual.

I guess she highlights why I don't like so many games, most addictive gaming systems fail to draw me in because that's the majority of what the game has to offer. That said, I'm very addicted to Galactic Civilization 2's ship builder, I can spend hours screwing around with that.

19. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    I don't think any console-specific developer (read: almost all developers, pretty much except Blizzard, DICE (to some extent), Valve and some Europeans) really properly uses quad-core processors, do they? That's just the disadvantage of when a console generation gets this old. Worse thing is I think they want to squeeze some more years out of it too.

20. TorontoReign

TorontoReign No Original Thought Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005
    I know some may disagree but the launch of Skyrim appears to be more buggy than New Vegas was. I am going strictly off of my personal experiences thus far, so it may differ from others.

Backward flying dragons, doors that won't open, Giants that knock you into outer space when they kill you, Monsters falling through the Earth, and a mammoth riding a dragons back..... Just a few of the glitches/bugs that I have encountered. Not to mention the same bugs that have appeared in all of Bethesda titles to date. I won't mention those because they have been mentioned thousands of times.

I had to force myself to keep playing when I saw these bugs because it irritated me so much. I tried in vain to "Get into" Skyrim, but immersion breaking events continued to occur. Now I'm not some "IMMURSION!" whore that complains over every minor fault that the game has; I honestly wanted to like this game.

I turned the game off in frustration many times due to glitches/bugs. Game freezes up again? Reload. Got into a fight with some Immortal NPC's that chase you to the edges of the Earth? Reload. Dragon is humping a mammoth? Reload.

I did not look for problems with the game either. They just continued to pile on over the hours until I had to take the game back(rental), and rather gladly I might add. Most of my friends that praised the game for it's awesomeness, are now telling me their frustrations with the game. Even some of the hardcore Bethesda fanatics are bitching about some of the problems with Skyrim.

I have no doubt that mods will make Skyrim a much better game, but this screws the console owners who don't have badass PC's. Overall the game is barely better than Oblivion in my opinion, but it is still a decent game. I found myself enjoying the game more when I didn't treat it like a RPG. I do admit Skyrim is still fun despite the bugs, but I had more fun with New Vegas.

Edit: Are the Elder Scroll games getting better or worse? For every one step forward, they take two steps back.