Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.2 - OPEN BETA (ie NOT FINAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onholyservicebound said:
My problem was primarily the kaga encounter... the fact that he returns despite me killing him every single encounter.
What? Does this actually happen?
If so that is a bug, it's not meant to be that way.

killap said:
@Darek
I like your idea about the password paper pieces and I've gone ahead and implemented it. It was clearly something the devs wanted and it was all implemented in the game except for putting the actual pieces somewhere. Not sure why I never did anything with this bit sooner...

I've placed the three pieces around building. They are not impossible to find but nor are they completely obvious. I think it's better than putting them in desks or containers where players are guaranteed to look. And I went with a global script for the check, so that the pieces are assembled in a reasonable amount of time and not when map_update feels like firing (probably the main reason why this idea was scrapped).
Nice. :)
I'm all for putting them stuff in not so obvious places (I find the game a bit too simplistic in this regard), but was just suggesting it to keep in line with the password paper and the eyes of the SAD map.

You may be right with why they scrapped it, that thought crossed my mind as well. Another thing I wondered was if they maybe knew there was a problem with too many scripted items, as the brahmin poo was scrapped and the SAD map from Golgotha as well. Who knows :shrug:
Either way it was a very strange piece of code, why use map_update instead of a simple global variable?

EDIT:

Smoking:
There was a bug where if you were carrying more than one lighter you wouldn't be able to smoke.
Well apparently there are two of those checks and you only fixed the first one ("== 1" should be ">= 1").
Also The bridge keepers robe is an androgynous hero model so females wearing that should be able to smoke (like they can with the power armors).
Code:
if ((obj_pid(critter_inven_obj(dude_obj, 0)) == 3) or (obj_pid(critter_inven_obj(dude_obj, 0)) == 232) and (obj_is_carrying_obj_pid(dude_obj, 101) >= 1)) then begin

Should be...

if ((obj_pid(critter_inven_obj(dude_obj, 0)) == 3) or (obj_pid(critter_inven_obj(dude_obj, 0)) == 232) or (obj_pid(critter_inven_obj(dude_obj, 0)) == 524) and (obj_is_carrying_obj_pid(dude_obj, 101) >= 1)) then begin

@killap, this is great news. Please let me know if I may help with text. I am available to help with the quote simplification (to straight quotes) whenever you may need it.

Also, I'm still curious (this goes out to anyone who might know): I suspect there's a really obvious reason that repairing the Redding power generator is not required to use the elevator in the Great Wanamingo Mine, even though it was listed as a requirement in the official Fallout 2 hint guide.

The unfortunate bit is that I don't have a clue what the reason is, unless it's a tight development timeframe on the original team.

Why my curiosity about this sort of thing is so endless is another mystery to me. :D

merenbach said:
Also, I'm still curious (this goes out to anyone who might know): I suspect there's a really obvious reason that repairing the Redding power generator is not required to use the elevator in the Great Wanamingo Mine, even though it was listed as a requirement in the official Fallout 2 hint guide.

It sort of makes sense, because the Queen Alien would be at the furtherest point of the mine map if the player was forced to enter from the main town map (well). Instead the PC can just enter through the elevator and can kill her, before fighting her babies. In some sense she is like a mini boss, and should be the last encounter in the mine. If the player has the right skills in repair, then they should be able to repair the elevator and kill the Queen first. I'll let Killap decide on that one. :wink:

Darek said:
Also The bridge keepers robe is an androgynous hero model so females wearing that should be able to smoke (like they can with the power armors).
Hmm. So the reason females can't smoke is that there are no animations for them. This is why you get a message that says "Smoking is a disgusting habit for a woman to have." if you try as a woman. Now it's true that you cannot tell the gender when in power armor, but I feel like this is a bug on my part for allowing women to smoke when wearing it, despite not allowing them (for technical reasons) in other cases. It seems a bit odd to say smoking is gross for women, expect when wearing power armor (and bridge keepers robes). We could maybe come up with new text, but for consistency, I'd vote for removing that action for women in all types of armor.

@merenbach
Ah, excellent. I'll be sending text your way soon.

Sduibek said:
Wouldnt the verbiage to the effect of "Ladies don't smoke." be better?
Perhaps, but that doesn't solve the quandary of a lady being able to smoke in some armors and not others.

@all
I've finished the last of the new content planned. And actually, I think this is the last of any further scripting for this release (be it bug fixes or new content). I'm compiling a new build right now and I'll be sending it off to my normal circle of testers. I'm finally seeing the light, folks! ;)

killap said:
Sduibek said:
Perhaps, but that doesn't solve the quandary of a lady being able to smoke in some armors and not others.
Nor the fact that not all women are "ladies". :lol:

You are not using that line anyway since moving the code to the dude script. Figured you just decided to use what you got and not bother with the missing animations.
I don't think it needs an explanation anyway, just make smoking male only for the whole code then.

Darek said:
killap said:
Sduibek said:
Nor the fact that not all women are "ladies". :lol:

I don't think it needs an explanation anyway, just make smoking male only for the whole code then.
Good point ;)

If message is displayed it could be made even more generic, actually... if the decision is to make smoking male-only regardless of armor used, if a female PC/NPC uses the cigarettes item, it could just say "You don't feel like smoking" or even the "That does nothing" message from vanilla dialog files. :shrug:

killap said:
@merenbach
Ah, excellent. I'll be sending text your way soon.
What about the unofficial patch? I think it would be great if UP also receives the same quote simplification. :)

The uber project.

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this so I'm sorry if it should have gone elsewhere. I have Extremely limited access to the internet so I don't get much time to search.

I see by the main post that you're working on and fine tuning for an updated release, so I thought I'd throw in some things I've encountered in case they haven't been said. (BTW the project still rocks.)

I was running the 2.1 (reasonably recent version of the resto project) I was encountering a random crash that would just go BlkSOD on me, at first it was only in combat and then it happened elsewhere. I cannot repeat any common process to get the crash to happen, it really only seems to do it when it damn well wants to. The only thing I can think of is it is mouse related because each crash happened during a time when I was moving the most to click on something, ie: combat, interaction, zone map movement.

Also it seems main character still has his back to the Vic-Val conversation. "I would too with an arguing family lol" (I read in the release notes that was at one point fixed)

I there supposed to be some way to find out the Doctor in Vault 13 is important in reference to later things that happen to V13? (I doubt that's a RP bug but something I thought I would mention.)

Using the setting to directly control your party members in combat, I had to constantly hit the weapon swap button to get access to whatever they're using, and it happens every round and on each turn. Just some info.

I run Win XP, I do FO2 in 800-600, 16bit, with none of the S-fall features enabled.

All in all it's a great thing you all made here and I wish I had better words than awesome and amazing, please keep up the good work.

Again I'm sorry if any of this has been mentioned already and I wish you all good luck in future endeavors.

killap said:
@all
I've finished the last of the new content planned. And actually, I think this is the last of any further scripting for this release (be it bug fixes or new content). I'm compiling a new build right now and I'll be sending it off to my normal circle of testers. I'm finally seeing the light, folks! ;)

No ETA yet, but this sounds promising indeed. :D

Whoa

I need directions for downloading this...

bukypetr said:
killap said:
In regards to the music discussion, I have no plans for this in any form. Out of the scope of the RP.
Never mind. Fortunatelly, it seems I was able to handle it on my own. :wink:

Code:
http://leteckaposta.cz/947186326

Changelog:

Vault Village – Second Chance (15SHADY.ACM)
New Reno Stables – Flame of the Ancient World (02MSTRLR.ACM)
Sierra Army Depot (inside) – Metallic Monks (04BRTHRH.ACM)
EPA (inside) / Toxic Vaste Dump – Radiation Storm (09GLOW.ACM)
Vault 13 – Vault of the Future (06VAULT.ACM)

Only thing I need is to go through the following locations to see (hear), if everything is all right. Anyone supposed to have the savegame?

teukros:
There's only a statement in Czech language saying that the linked file was removed. Try to PM the author - bukypetr. :shrug:

Nibiru said:
hi
i liked the kaga encounter in the exit of arroyo, i think this was a waste to remove it

I think removal makes sense. He was banished from the village, so why let him hang around.

I actually like the way to talk Kaga out during 2nd or 3rd encounter in old RP, but not the "funny" one with high IN & LK. Too bad it didn't get included in the original dialog, guess that's why it got removed in newer RP.

Matthews said:
killap said:
@all

No ETA yet, but this sounds promising indeed. :D
Testing of the last new content is underway. I also updated all the readme/correction list files today. Ugh, so much text. ;)

Thanks Drobovik :)

I guess this MAPS.TXT will probably not work with the new version (will it be 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4?).

EDIT: Oops. I guess it only works with the latest beta. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back