Fallout 2 Savegame Editor

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman said:
Like, changing 1 x combat armor into 2 x combat armor?

I think it's absolutely safe.

I remember using Falche, which automatically calculates derived statistics from base statistics.

I am not sure it was done by Falche. Fallout recalculates base derived statistics for player's character each time you load game. Thats why I wrote in first post "If you change character stats, better change "Bonus Stats" than "Base Stats". In game stats = base + bonus, but some of base stats are recalculated by game engine at each load." It's unlikely that the same calculations are done for the NPC, but possible. You can check it by changing NPC's base derived statistics(hit points, action points, armor class) and see if they are changed in game.

vad said:
Like, changing 1 x combat armor into 2 x combat armor?

I think it's absolutely safe.
Will try that route, then.

vad said:
I remember using Falche, which automatically calculates derived statistics from base statistics.

I am not sure it was done by Falche. Fallout recalculates base derived statistics for player's character each time you load game. Thats why I wrote in first post "If you change character stats, better change "Bonus Stats" than "Base Stats". In game stats = base + bonus, but some of base stats are recalculated by game engine at each load." It's unlikely that the same calculations are done for the NPC, but possible. You can check it by changing NPC's base derived statistics(hit points, action points, armor class) and see if they are changed in game.
Well, when using Falche, the derived stats automatically changes when changing the base stats. For example, increasing strength automatically changes the displayed carry weight value in the editor.

Nonetheless, I'm following your suggestion.

So, I discovered interesting stuff.

My NPCs are currently level 3 (I'm level 14), and according to this, Ian's small guns skill is 85.

So I modified Ian's big guns skill to 85 (using vad's Fallout 1 critter editor), gave him a rocket launcher, then we went to Deathclaw Warehouse area to have some fun.

Ian still used pistol. Darn!

I then quit the game, and lowered his small guns skill to 0, while leaving his big gun skills at 85.

Guess what, he still used pistol.

The only way I can make Ian to use rocket launcher is to take his pistol away. And then he uses rocket launcher at the deathclaw. Since his big guns skill is pretty high, the result is quite satisfactory (for example, he never misses).

But I wonder why Ian insists to use pistol instead of rocket launcher, even though his small guns skill is already lowered to zero.

Also, there is another interesting phenomenon: usually, the deathclaw solely focuses on me while ignoring my NPCs. But after Ian uses rocket launcher, the deathclaw goes after him instead.

Comments?

If he doesn't have the animations to use big guns, he will never use them. Also, I think the preferred gun is not the one with higher skill, but a scripted one.

But I wonder why Ian insists to use pistol instead of rocket launcher, even though his small guns skill is already lowered to zero.

It's your lucky day...

This fix will allow Ian and Tycho to use all of the weapons in the game; it is based on the new player characters (Mr. Long Hair and Mr. Baldie) from the Restoration Project. There are some noticeable differences though – gone are Ian’s blue pants and white T-Shirt, he is now in black leather from head to toe, as like the black leather player character from the game, Tycho now has dark green pants instead of the brown pants. As a consequence, all of the critters using the same appearance have also had the same change, which means they too can use all of the available weapons in game.

If someone could bring these two critters into Fallout 1 as unique NPC critters and adjust the scripts, that would be greatly appreciated.

2AhSH.gif
2ov2Y.gif
SB4R6.gif
NtgDj.gif

Instructions: Copy the “data” folder into the Fallout 1 folder, and overwrite the existing data folder. Fallout 1 – New Ian & Tycho Critters

Oppen said:
If he doesn't have the animations to use big guns, he will never use them. Also, I think the preferred gun is not the one with higher skill, but a scripted one.
That's what I suspected.

I wonder if it's possible to modify Fallout 1 script. For example, when equipped with grenades, Katja (due to her high throwing skill) will always use grenades regardless of everything. For example, she will use grenades even when there are adjacent allies, hurting both enemies and allies alike. She will use grenades even though herself is positioned next to the target, hurting herself in the process. I wonder if it's possible to modify the script so that NPCs will only use splash damage weapons only when there is no allies next to her/his target.

.Pixote. said:

It's your lucky day...

This fix will allow Ian and Tycho to use all of the weapons in the game; it is based on the new player characters (Mr. Long Hair and Mr. Baldie) from the Restoration Project. There are some noticeable differences though – gone are Ian’s blue pants and white T-Shirt, he is now in black leather from head to toe, as like the black leather player character from the game, Tycho now has dark green pants instead of the brown pants. As a consequence, all of the critters using the same appearance have also had the same change, which means they too can use all of the available weapons in game.

If someone could bring these two critters into Fallout 1 as unique NPC critters and adjust the scripts, that would be greatly appreciated.

2AhSH.gif
2ov2Y.gif
SB4R6.gif
NtgDj.gif

Instructions: Copy the “data” folder into the Fallout 1 folder, and overwrite the existing data folder. Fallout 1 – New Ian & Tycho Critters
Interesting, thanks!

However, in the Fallout 1 NPC mod (the only I'm currently using), NPC will use big guns if her/his favorite weapon is taken away. For example, Ian will use rocket launcher if I take his pistol away. The animation frame is also there.

So my question is:

(1) since I've already gone quite far in the game, is the mod compatible with my savegame? Or will I need to start over?

(2) since Fallout 1 NPC mod already allows NPC to use any weapons (but you need to take away their favorite weapons - for example, you need to take Ian's pistols to make him use rocket launcher), what is the difference between your mod and Fallout 1 NPC mod? For example, will they automatically select best weapons based on skill, thus eliminating the "scripted weapon preference"?

(3) can NPC still use any armor with your mod? For example, Katja wearing rangers armor, etc.

Thanks.

So my question is:

(1) since I've already gone quite far in the game, is the mod compatible with my savegame? Or will I need to start over?

No it should be fine.

(2) since Fallout 1 NPC mod already allows NPC to use any weapons (but you need to take away their favorite weapons - for example, you need to take Ian's pistols to make him use rocket launcher), what is the difference between your mod and Fallout 1 NPC mod? For example, will they automatically select best weapons based on skill, thus eliminating the "scripted weapon preference"?

Unfortunately the NPC were added at the very end of Fallout 1 development, the designers didn't get a chance to improve the scripts. So to ensure the NPC uses the weapon you want you have to only leave that weapon in their inventory. You can always experiment with them and see what their preferences are, but most likely the skill points will determine the weapon of choice.

(3) can NPC still use any armor with your mod? For example, Katja wearing rangers armor, etc.

I'm not sure if adding an armor to their inventory forces the NPC to actually wear it, but their appearance will not change. All of the animations for Tycho and Ian are ready if someone wanted to script it.

.Pixote. said:
So my question is:

No it should be fine.

Unfortunately the NPC were added at the very end of Fallout 1 development, the designers didn't get a chance to improve the scripts. So to ensure the NPC uses the weapon you want you have to only leave that weapon in their inventory. You can always experiment with them and see what their preferences are, but most likely the skill points will determine the weapon of choice.

I'm not sure if adding an armor to their inventory forces the NPC to actually wear it, but their appearance will not change. All of the animations for Tycho and Ian are ready if someone wanted to script it.
Well in Fallout NPC mod, Ian, Tycho, and Katja change their armor after being told "use the best armor" in conversation menu. Their appearance also changes, and so do their statistics.

I still wonder if there's a mod to change Fallout 1 behavior to be more "sophisticated", for example, not using splash damage weapons or burst mode when the target is next to allies. In Fallout 2, you can tell NPC to not use burst mode when the player characters is near their target ("worry about hurting me" or something like that).

For now, my "workaround" is to tell Katja to stay away from me as far as possible, and to get close to the enemy. That way, she'll be less likely to hurt allies with her grenades (Tycho and Ian snipe the enemies from the distance while Katja peppers them with grenades from close range). However, Dogmeat will still often be the victim of Katja grenades, since he always charges ahead.

But of course, I can always enhance Dogmeat's HP and AC to compensate.

Anyway, the thing I like about vad's character editor is that you can change a critter to make it tradeable with. So I edited Dogmeat so I can trade with him, and then I gave him a lot of Stimpacks and boosted his first aid skill, with the hope that Dogmeat will use Stimpacks to heal himself during combat,

However, it didn't happen. Dogmeat never uses Stimpack to heal himself, period. Probably because there is no animation frame to show Dogmeat using Stimpack.

However, I still plan to keep Dogmeat being able to barter with, because I can make him a "mule" NPC too! My party carries a lot of ammo and weapons, so the more mule, the better!

However, is it safe? Will it crash the game at some point?

Well in Fallout NPC mod, Ian, Tycho, and Katja change their armor after being told "use the best armor" in conversation menu. Their appearance also changes, and so do their statistics.

I've never seen them change their appearance, nor have I seen the "use the best armor" in the conversation menu. To change appearance you need about 800+ critter animations for each NPC. Did that come with the Fallout NPC mod?

.Pixote. said:

I've never seen them change their appearance, nor have I seen the "use the best armor" in the conversation menu. To change appearance you need about 800+ critter animations for each NPC. Did that come with the Fallout NPC mod?
What? With Fallout NPC Mod, NPCs can change their armor and their appearance respectively. Here, take a look at the screenshots at my after-action report. Ian, for example, is wearing metal armor.

They are swapping models, unlike the RP where they actually look like the characters in question. So Ian would have long hair and wear metal armor. Tycho would be a bald dude in metal armor.

However, I still plan to keep Dogmeat being able to barter with, because I can make him a "mule" NPC too! My party carries a lot of ammo and weapons, so the more mule, the better!

It should be safe.

.Pixote. said:
They are swapping models, unlike the RP where they actually look like the characters in question. So Ian would have long hair and wear metal armor. Tycho would be a bald dude in metal armor.
I see.

Wonder if your mod is compatible with Fallout 1 NPC mod I'm already using. For instance, would they raise levels?

vad said:

It should be safe.
Thanks Vad.

Well my next step is making Dogmeat a mule, as well a making him as powerful as a Deathclaw!

Re: It works like a charm

iznogoud said:
I just tested it on a mib88 installed fallout2. It works like a charm so far. I changed around in my inventory, perks and character skills without any problems.

Great job!! :clap:
can you help me download it? i tried but i don't where to put the file.
i am on a windows xp.

Vault City Captain Of The Guard

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what variables I need to alter to set myself as the Vault City Captain Of The Guard?

Thanks in advance.

Re: It works like a charm

Red_Rage said:
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what variables I need to alter to set myself as the Vault City Captain Of The Guard?

Thanks in advance.
Set 79:GVAR_VAULT_CITIZEN to 5
And if you're not a citizen yet you also need to set 81:GVAR_VAULT_CITIZENSHIP to 1

Im using your editor F2se and the program itself is working just fine, but when i start a new game and modify anything my game chrashes and terminates itself. im using the Mib 88 Megamod (latest version i think that is 2.34) i am running on w7 64 bit.

the path witch i have fallout 2 in is C:\Fallout 2

same goes for the editor C:\Fallout 2\F2 editor

i am currently in the temples atm and have read that you cant add a gun and use it, so thats not the case either. i have only tried to modify the SPECIAL stats, both in bonus stats and base stats and still it freezes the game right after i load my save. any clue to what this is??

edit: this happens when i load a game

Saves in megamod crashes even without editing them. In version 2.44, save and load after killing first two ants often leads to crash.

You can download latest version(2.44) from here and edit stats and skills before entering temple. That usually works fine.

Back