Fallout 2 Savegame Editor

1 - Yeah, I forgot to change text when pasted it.
2 - Theoretically it is compatible with any mod (F2RP, MIB88 Megamod, etc) so I can rename it in "Universal Fallout 2 Savegame Editor" or something like that. ;)
3 - I am using information from http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/SAVE.DAT_File_Format and original document from TeamX(It was updated after translation, so document from TeamX and wikia’s article a bit different). And now no one is updating both of them. There are few if any people who can and will reverse engineer Fallout’s files format. I will not try to find them. If someone update article I will use new information, that’s all.

ADDED 24 September 2010:
Tried to implement companion editor by editing .pro files from SLOTXX\proto\critters. FAIL, changes in these files doesn’t affect in game characters. :evil:

I'm encountering following problems with the editor using F2RP on vista (fresh install and all).

1. No way to be able to edit anything
2. If savegames are overwritten the editor still refers to old data
3. I've deleted some savegames and saved to the slot, but the editor still refers to the old saves

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

@ oeverloos

1. More info...
2.You mean like if you leave the editor open and then play and save, The editor will not automatically update your new save status.
Push options and then OK (will refresh your saves), or close F2se and open it again.
3.Basically the same as 2.

@ vad
Nice little update.
A refresh saves button could be useful ;)
About that "Clear combat info", does that only edit SAV.DAT or does it do anything to the *.MAP files too?
I have gotten a few crash saves from others and one I tried was fixed with "clear combat info", while another one wasn't.
The one that wouldn't work had some kind of map corruption, so I'm guessing it only deals with SAV.DAT.

@ oeverloos

I haven't vista, so can't really help. But did you install Fallout in "Program Files"? Vista can protect files there from changes.

@ Darek

Probably I will add refresh button in next update.
"Clear combat info" clears only "Function 11 - Combat" in save.dat. I have never encountered map corruption, nor even heard about it. Is corrupted map from vanilla or patched/moded version?

I re-installed it in another directoy (c:\fallout) and now it does work, it was probably the vista file protection here...
Thanks

vad, this save is from the Restoration Project 2.1.2b
http://www.mediafire.com/?14r6z1qkt2n46e0
If I open COAST8.map from there in the official Mapper and remove all the critters (including dead ones) the map works again.
I'm pretty sure I've seen similar things before but my memory ain't the best. :shrug:

vad, you must try again to make a companion editor. I NEED one. Well, okay I don't NEED one, but it would be helpful, to start with all companions at max level. :mrgreen:

Khefre said:
vad, you must try again to make a companion editor. I NEED one. Well, okay I don't NEED one, but it would be helpful, to start with all companions at max level. :mrgreen:

What's the point of playing the game if you remove the challenge...why not just script a pack of 20 Deathclaws as your personal guard dogs, roll through the wastelands and watch them slaughter any thing that gets in your way. :roll:

Alternatively play a solo game (no NPC's) with only hand to hand combat on the most difficult setting, and don't forget to run occasionally. :mrgreen:

vad said:
I am making universal savegame editor for Fallout 2, but because of dialup internet I can’t test it on really big mods, such as Megamod. Is there anybody here, who can test editor?
I haven't tried F2 megamod (my F2 CD is defective), but I have tried your F1 editor. Very cool! It is the most comprehensive and detailed F1 editor I've ever tried, and I like the fact that we can create items with ease. :clap: Anyway, I'm using Fallout 1 with 1.3.5 patch, hi-resolution patch, and Fallout NPC mod.

By the way, may I ask for tips to hex-edit Fallout1 NPC statistic? I experienced this during gameplay, and I'm thinking, I think it is nice if we can give Tycho Energy Weapons skills, or give Ian Big Guns skills.

What is the easiest way to find NPC stats in SAVE.DAT file? What is the patterns? For example, does NPC stat numbers separated by space character? Or double space characters?

.Pixote. said:
What's the point of playing the game if you remove the challenge...
I believe people have many reasons to edit their NPCs. For example, I'm trying a "modern-day military" theme, where everyone in my party wears combat armor, to make them look like modern-day military soldiers.

However, Ian only uses pistols, which is too bad, because I want him to use assault rifles. Tycho does not have Big Guns skill either, so equipping him with rocket launcher is futile. The best thing I can do is equipping Katja with grenades (she has good Throwing skill). Yes, the result is sometimes disastrous; Katja's AI never takes into account that grenades do splash damage, and fellow team members are often hurt as well. But arming her with grenades fits the military theme.

I have looked again at NPC editing.

Strange, but editing proto files in save folder seems work for Fallout 2. Don’t know why it didn’t work before. Last time I raised DR or DT for Vic, but killed him easily. Now I raised AC for Kitsune(Restoration Project) and can’t hit her.

Fallout 1 doesn’t have proto files in save folder. It gets statistic from proto files in .\data\proto\critters directory and master.dat file. (Tested on Ian 00000076.pro)

tips to hex-edit Fallout1 NPC statistic:
1) Find proto file you need in “proto\critters”. Name of file is usually = “0…0” + number of description from PRO_CRIT.MSG / 100 + “.pro”.
2) Unpack if packed.
3) http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/PRO_File_Format
4) If you use Fallout NPC Mod, each level of NPC is different proto file. (But they all are already unpacked in this mod)

vad said:
Fallout 1 doesn’t have proto files in save folder. It gets statistic from proto files in .\data\proto\critters directory and master.dat file. (Tested on Ian 00000076.pro)
I see. Thus, Fallout 1 does not store NPC stats in save files, but points to proto\critters directory. And in case of Fallout 1 NPC mod, it only stores NPC levels in save files, and points to the proto\critters directory for their respective stats. Am I correct?

vad said:
tips to hex-edit Fallout1 NPC statistic:
1) Find proto file you need in “proto\critters”. Name of file is usually = “0…0” + number of description from PRO_CRIT.MSG / 100 + “.pro”.
2) Unpack if packed.
3) http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/PRO_File_Format
4) If you use Fallout NPC Mod, each level of NPC is different proto file. (But they all are already unpacked in this mod)
Thanks, vad! :) I'll definitely give it a try. In order to get the desires NPC stats throughout the game, I have to edit the stats for each level, am I correct?

1. Yes. NPC stats can be changed only for whole game, not single save.
2. Yes, if you use that mod. Or you can edit first level files and copy them over other levels files.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman said:
However, Ian only uses pistols, which is too bad, because I want him to use assault rifles. Tycho does not have Big Guns skill either, so equipping him with rocket launcher is futile. The best thing I can do is equipping Katja with grenades (she has good Throwing skill). Yes, the result is sometimes disastrous; Katja's AI never takes into account that grenades do splash damage, and fellow team members are often hurt as well. But arming her with grenades fits the military theme.

This is a case of missing animations, that's all...if can be fixed, build the critters, give them the correct names, and the NPC's will be able to use any weapon. I can take some of the new critters from Fallout 2 and make the adjustments, but I'm too busy at the moment sorry...but I will keep this in mind and get around to it ASAP. :wink:

EDIT: I've tested the 'Long Hair Critter' animations from the RP, and they work fine in Fallout 1. That means Ian and Tycho can have all of the weapons animations, but the appearance of the two critters will change. Ian will no longer have the blue pants and white T-shirt, and Tycho will have green instead of brown pants. Unfortunately every critter in the game sharing their appearance will also change, but if some smart cookie can bring them in as new critters and change the scripts to match, then Fallout 1 will have unique critters for Ian and Tycho.

Added editing of NPCs for Fallout 1&2.

But due to lack of time, I almost did not test the new versions. Therefore, they are invisible and are available for download only on direct links. F2se and F1se

Important note: critters in Fallout 1 changes in the entire game, not only in selected savegame.

i didnt find a fallout 1 savegame editor thread so here it goes: i created 3 holodisks to read them (i did this with all of them since in gvars i cant enable all of them) and i couldnt download them to pipboy even with 200% on science skill, could you please look at what's wrong? i'll give a link to the savegame. http://www.4shared.com/file/cNk3_02i/SLOT01.html

Disks have scripts attached to them. I have not found a way to attach scripts to created items, so holodisks and other items with scripts do not work.

Freezing

I am having a problem with the Fallout 2 editor. Every time I try to edit a save file the program freezes. I am running Win7 64, and my game is installed to C:\Fallout 2.

Back