Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

New version up! (see OP of this thread for DL links)

.99 Beta

Changes in this version:
Doc Morbid animation sequence as intended (when removing eye) -- you do NOT want to know how long it took to implement this. and it's a mediocre implementation. blah.
Cows only talk on the Mad Cows map (missed a couple last time)
Cows killed make correct city aggro. Explanation -- it used to be that if you killed the "domesticated" (their description) brahmin, Junktown would always go hostile. This was if you killed such a brahma ANYWHERE in the GAME. Now I know why Junktown would be hostile in games when they shouldn't've been. Stupid programmers! lol. SO now if you kill one in the Hub, Hub goes hostile, if you kill one in Shady Sands, they go hostile, etc.
cows don't walk around as often (for realism)
ghoul descriptions restored from the MSG files
ladder/stairs showing description again when "use"ing them no longer happens (yay!)
"use"ing a ladder/stairs/whatever now works properly when in your idle animation
FIXED: Due to a strange bug in how the game reads the critter .PRO files, some critters would start with partial HP on map load. examples are Lars, Justin Greene. I've fixed this so they are set to full HP (on first visit to the map ONLY! not looking to change game balance here). Other critters with such an issue fixed as I find them.
Higher quality manual included now (GOG version)
Included two splash screens (#5 & #6) from "kevin" here (see download sections for F1 @ NMA) since they were universally liked by you all
-- Talus finally can grant the player ammo each week (stingy bastard! geez)

Isn't the Easter Egg from the Fallout demo? I'm pretty sure that it was a little joke where (after the dialog you put in) it said something like "this game is fantastic, you really should go out and preorder it right now." Can someone else who has played the demo remember this? I always wondered if something like that would be in the final game.

Hi! First thing I have to say is I am absolutely loving this new mod/patch. I love Fallout 1 and 2 but after Fallout 2, I had trouble finishing a game of Fallout 1. It just lost my attention. Now I can't stop playing it again! Thank you so much! :clap:

One thing I noticed while playing today was when I had to Alt+Tab out of the game for a few minutes, I saw in the C:\ box it says:

Applying patch to master.dat...
Bad destination file @ 02E6D570: F7
... failed
Applying patch to critter.dat...
Bad destination file @ 00294D78: C3
... failed

What on earth does that mean? Is there something wrong? The game seems perfectly fine. If I hadn't noticed the above errors(?) I would not have suspected anything was wrong. I would appreciate some help. :?

The Master V2 said:
Hi! First thing I have to say is I am absolutely loving this new mod/patch. I love Fallout 1 and 2 but after Fallout 2, I had trouble finishing a game of Fallout 1. It just lost my attention. Now I can't stop playing it again! Thank you so much! :clap:
Seriously? That's awesome, thank you! :mrgreen: Anything specific about it?

The Master V2 said:
One thing I noticed while playing today was when I had to Alt+Tab out of the game for a few minutes, I saw in the C:\ box it says:

Applying patch to master.dat...
Bad destination file @ 02E6D570: F7
... failed
Applying patch to critter.dat...
Bad destination file @ 00294D78: C3
... failed

What on earth does that mean? Is there something wrong? The game seems perfectly fine. If I hadn't noticed the above errors(?) I would not have suspected anything was wrong. I would appreciate some help. :?
Shouldn't matter... it just means that the Cathedral Fix patch (not written by me) wasn't able to apply itself properly. If you experience a crash in the cathedral or anything similarly weird let me know. In theory the Chathedral Fix isn't even necessary, but I made sure to include it here since i'm wanting this to be the ultimate F1 mod or whatever 8-)

EDIT: I'm assuming master.dat and critter.dat are in your Fallout directory?

Yes, of course. But now I have a BIG problem! The elevator in The Glow Level 3 makes the game crash if used!

It comes up with this Application Error:

The instruction at 004b3b48 referenced memory at ffffffc4
The memory could not be read from.

HELP!

The Master V2 said:
Yes, of course. But now I have a BIG problem! The elevator in The Glow Level 3 makes the game crash if used!

It comes up with this Application Error:

The instruction at 004b3b48 referenced memory at ffffffc4
The memory could not be read from.

HELP!
* Trying running falloutw.exe directly.
* Make sure master.dat and critter.dat are not set to Read-Only

Also please send me your save files from the save slot that is crashing. PM me once you have it as a zip/rar/whatever and i'll give you my email address.

@ Sduibek - I was passed some extra artwork for the Cathedral from Lexx...when I get a chance I will finish the artwork, cut the tiles and rebuild the map with the extra roof. If it doesn't turnout as desired, then we can drop the idea, but I think it would be a nice improvement for your mod. See below.

Oh my god, didn't thought I see my cathedral again. I really wish it would have been finished... or let's say, I really wish that brother_soifran would have gave me the models he had done, because they have been really good looking on the screenshots.

On the image above is so much shit that annoys me, because it's wrong... like there is one elevation missing, the left side of the building is wrong, etc.

But I lost the willpower to work on it, because my models never would look as good as the recreation from brother_soifran and so the project died. :/ Here is the original thread, by the way.

Gotta love projects dying. In my experience, the only constant in the modding community at large is projects dying without a stable release or source code release.

:(

After installing your patch, I was unable to load my current saves. Is there a workaround for this, or can I simply not use your patch until I start a completely new game?

Kelldroth said:
After installing your patch, I was unable to load my current saves. Is there a workaround for this, or can I simply not use your patch until I start a completely new game?
Correct, you will need to start a new game.

Damn, I don't think I explicitly stated that anywhere :x Thanks for the question, i'll see if I can upload a version that doesn't require a new game -- if I can't i'll make sure to put that up as a warning/FYI.

EDIT: For now just delete the file DATA/DATA/VAULT13.GAM -- The bugfix for weekly ammo @ Brotherhood Of Steel won't work, nor will Set's door guard or Stapleton's new settings, but that way you can play your current character(s) :clap:

I can't seem to activate the manhole to Vault 12 in the watershed of the necropolis. Possibly a bug brought on by that workaround?

Or is this a glitch/bug anyone is familiar with? This is my first attempt running through fallout 1.

EDIT: I restored the original game, used the manhole, saved, and then repatched the game.

Kelldroth said:
I can't seem to activate the manhole to Vault 12 in the watershed of the necropolis. Possibly a bug brought on by that workaround?

Or is this a glitch/bug anyone is familiar with? This is my first attempt running through fallout 1.

EDIT: I restored the original game, used the manhole, saved, and then repatched the game.
First time playing Fallout 1 ever? Interesting. Well I hope you enjoy yourself; this is an awesome game! :)

I've uploaded a new version that fixes the bug(s) you encountered:

Beta 0.995

NEW IN THIS VERSION:
-- Elevator doors in The Glow that didn't used to display exp earned message on pickock and traps disarm, now do
-- Some more dialog fixes (this is a never-ending process, heh)
-- Overturned Truck now also spawns bottles of Nuka-Cola based on player's Luck
-- Message for exp from getting to lvl 5 @ The Glow is displayed
-- Can get 700xp from Zax if you beat him at chess - code from TeamX and vanilla versions failed because Criticals can't be rolled when rolling against stats. I change this to [do_check(dude_obj, 4, -9);] which basically means you need an INT of 10, and even then a win is not guaranteed.
-- Added 2 small descriptions if you examine yourself
-- Fade times tripled in scripts (having sex, going to jail, etc.) because on modern PCs the fade times are way too fast, even on 16bit it ruins realism (at least IMHO)
-- Crashes at Cathedral level 3, Military Base, and The Glow level 3 should (knock on wood) be fixed for good. This involved copying over all map files from known good versions, and copying over two music files. Might have done some other minor changes too.
-- "Step Aside" function for NPC part members improved & works if character is Stupid (INT < 4). Rarely they won't move... this is due to an engine bug. Just pretend it's them choosing to ignore you periodically when you order them around ;)
-- Can ask NPCs party members to leave & reenter party when Stupid (INT < 4)
-- Added code that can be used later to add Step Aside function to Tandi.
-- shaders.fx note added to ddraw timeslip info
-- Ladders, Manholes, etc. should now all function normally (error in script changes on my part during last version)

Download link in OP of this thread.

EDIT: Also put up 3 more screenshots...

Sduibek said:
Gotta love projects dying. In my experience, the only constant in the modding community at large is projects dying without a stable release or source code release.

Dont worry - this Catherdral isn't dead, it's just on a long holiday. I have spent a few hours working on it, but I need to finish some new critters first. But after Mutants Rising has been released and the next installment of the RP is done, I will finish it.

[spoiler:98d556c541]
scale.gif
[/spoiler:98d556c541]

Without Cubik's Fallout 1 map fix, this baby would of probably never been finished. Thanks again Cubik. :clap:

What exactly do you want to do with Fallout 1? Because you will never ever fit this into the map.

Sduibek, congrats on your new fixes, the bug from the cathedral is the worst of all since it prevents you to finish the game.

btw, too bad u dont know asm well to fix the engine bugs with ollydbg.

Back