First round of Fallout 4 Reviews

The fact they took out weapon degredation is dumb.
I am glad it is good; one of few smart things that Bethesda has done. Weapon degradation was a pointless mechanic that serve no purpose, other than making more the Repair Skill slightly more useful than it was in Fallout 1 and 2..

Weapon degradation gave an additional reason to actually collect all the garbage you get on top of the modding of weapons. It made repair more useful as you noted, and it created a sense of survival. At bare minimum it should have been included in a hardcore mode.

What I hated about weapon repair was the way how they made it, you had to keep like 20 assault rifles in your inventory to repair the one you used, kinda nonsensical in my opinion :?.

Instead, they should have made it possible to create repair kits, or to clean your weapon, or something. Not to mention it happend way to fast. You shoot a few times and your gun lost like half of it's value. Kinda sucks.

Maybe I would accept the idea of having weapon degradation in a hardcore mode if it would actually implemented properly. Guns wore down unrealistically too fast in 3/NV.

They should've just went with maintenance instead of constantly repairing. You clean and oil your weapon regularly so that it doesn't actually degrade. And if you don't, it will have a chance to jam or misfire, but won't have worse damage, because that doesn't make much sense. But it would require quite some neglect. That mechanic shouldn't be something you have to keep in mind at all times, but just a small gimmick to amuse you from time to time.

It's just me, but I have yet to find a game where it is actually a good feature. It is one of the parts where I am willingly to accept that you're playing a game and not real life. Armor and weapons degrading in my opinion is most often rather a nuisance than a real value to the gameplay. You could make it as realistic as possible, but than you have to ask your self, why bother? Not even simulations and realistic games have weapon cleaning/repairing really as feature. Not the one's I know. But the way how it's done most of the time in games (Stalker, Fallout 3, New Vegas) it's usually unrealistic.

I've put about 9 hours in and damn. It only took an hour or so to start feeling like something was horribly wrong about this game. The horrible performance, the writing, the acting, the first questing area, even the atmosphere which is supposed to be Bethesda's strength, is just... wow. The only things in this game that I've found good at all was the 30 minute long pre-war intro to the game, the new leveling system, the shooting improvements and the BOS showing up because I'm a sucker for BOS, that's it. This is pretty bad, no wonder it has so many lower reviews. I'd feel pretty embarrassed if I was at Bethesda right now, seeing all of the reviewers bringing up fallout: new vegas, the little game that they conveniently forgot about. Hell they might have even forgot that Fallout 3 ever existed while I'm at it, I can already tell that Fallout 3 is a much better game than this, not to even mention the first 2 and NV, yikes.

Fallout 4 now has a Mostly Positive score on Steam with a 79% positive rating making it the lowest scoring Fallout game on Steam. This is getting really good.

But according to our favorite troll Battlecross the game isn't broken. Our logic with that word is flawed. The denial from Beth fanboys is really starting to get entertaining.

Yeah, I'm no longer amused with his attempts to goad people into stupid arguments with him.

He's on ignore.

But the way how it's done most of the time in games (Stalker, Fallout 3, New Vegas) it's usually unrealistic.

Agreed.

At first I thought I would dig the idea of weapon and armor maintenance, but after seeing how it was implemented?

No thanks, Skyrim had the right idea of eschewing it altogether. Glad to see it carried over to Fallout 4.

So uh. Remember how Borderlands allowed massive criticals if you shot people in the head or creatures in their weak points? It doesn't seem like headshots is doing all that much damage this time around. I saw Jim Sterling's "squirty play" footage and he shot one raider like 8 times in the head before it died.

Fallout 4 seems like it's real tedious when it comes to combat. Just like Skyrim and FO3's Broken Steel enemies.

I totally agree that the rate of degradation in FNV was silly, but to remove the feature entirely is just dumb, in my opinion. And the thing is, it was very easy to tweak it to your preference. All you need to do to slow it down is open the GECK and change the specific settings value from 1.0 to 0.5 or 0.1 or whatever you wanted. You can also change the degradation rate for different types of items individually, so that melee weapons degrades faster than firearms, which in turn degrade faster than armor, for instance. And with the degradation system in place, it was also easy to change the repair lists (or whatever they were called) to use generic Weapon Repair Kits, so you didn't have to haul around eight similar weapons to that which you were using. This is exactly what several of the big overhaul mods did. I preferred Fallout Nevada, but there are several other good ones.

The problem with Bethesda is that they wouldn't tweak, balance or develop the degradation feature to make it better, instead they simply removed it. Taken together with how they shower the player with good loot, from the very onset of their games, what should be an important aspect of every post-apocalyptic setting, namely an acute lack of resources and resource management, is just tossed out the window. This makes the games into simple vehicles for player power tripping and ego stroking.

So uh. Remember how Borderlands allowed massive criticals if you shot people in the head or creatures in their weak points? It doesn't seem like headshots is doing all that much damage this time around. I saw Jim Sterling's "squirty play" footage and he shot one raider like 8 times in the head before it died.

Fallout 4 seems like it's real tedious when it comes to combat. Just like Skyrim and FO3's Broken Steel enemies.

Bethesda needs to realize that giving a enemy more health and a stronger weapon does not make them a challenge. A stronger enemy should be using different tactics and strategy not beefed up with a new weapon.

Jim Sterling is sperging out about Metacritic user scores and instead of picking on reviews that say "I can't run this game! Meanies!" he picks on many that actually have legitimate beefs. Here's the link.

Bethesda needs to realize that giving a enemy more health and a stronger weapon does not make them a challenge. A stronger enemy should be using different tactics and strategy not beefed up with a new weapon.

Giving enemies more health and making them do more damage is not the problem in Fallout 4 . The problem is if you're playing on survival mode enemie's will have more health and do damage, but also your stimpacks and other healing items will heal in an extremely slow pace. That makes all the encounters stupid is when you have to sprint away and hide under a rock just to wait until your stimpack regenerates your health.

Oh Jimbo you never cease to amaze me. The fact that this game is getting negative reviews with not just the PC but on all 3 major ports should be a red flag. I however just think that Jimbo ego doesn't want him to admit that he was wrong. This is Arkham Knight and Mass Effect 3 all over again.

Ooh we have a new runner up in the making shit up awards! I never said anyone who doesn't want to buy this for 60 bucks is entitled you lying sack of shit. Nor do I have to convince anyone they're wrong, that's not my job. I simply point out hilarious biases, bad logic and nonsense. You sound absolutely insane by the way, you never have any clue to what you're talking about.

So people complaining about bugs, glitches to the point where it floods and takes up Bethesda own forums is bias and nonsense? Funny how you call me insane when you have been here trolling for months and complaining about how we are calling out Bethesda for their shitty business practices and not delivering what they promised(8 different endings!). I am starting to wonder if you are a masochist or if your head truly is the void.

Seriously, learn to read fool. The bias and nonsense is with you guys not with people outside of here. And since when are there not 8 endings?

Ooh we have a new runner up in the making shit up awards! I never said anyone who doesn't want to buy this for 60 bucks is entitled you lying sack of shit. Nor do I have to convince anyone they're wrong, that's not my job. I simply point out hilarious biases, bad logic and nonsense. You sound absolutely insane by the way, you never have any clue to what you're talking about.

So people complaining about bugs, glitches to the point where it floods and takes up Bethesda own forums is bias and nonsense? Funny how you call me insane when you have been here trolling for months and complaining about how we are calling out Bethesda for their shitty business practices and not delivering what they promised(8 different endings!). I am starting to wonder if you are a masochist or if your head truly is the void.

Seriously, learn to read fool. The bias and nonsense is with you guys not with people outside of here. And since when are there not 8 endings?

Then you obviously have never gone to RPG Codex. Why don't you head on over there. I'm sure that they will be very welcoming to you. Also what 8 endings? Everyone has stated that there are only 2. You just each sucking on Beths tit if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:

:roffle: Listening to the community? Good one! Its also quite funny how in almost ever negative review I have seen for Fallout 4 they bring up New Vegas saying that Fallout 4 is a major downgrade from what Obsidian established and Beth really should have looked back at New Vegas for inspiration and pointers. Looks like Obsidian, Saywer and Avellone got the last laugh.

Yeah, time to bring out one of my favorite lines...

BETHESDA GOT CUCKED AND FUCKED.

Hear that bethesda? I think that is the witcher 3 calling for their GOTY...

Okay, Enough with passive-aggressive business.

Why is Bethesda fucked when Fallout is not Game of the Year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Sterling is sperging out about Metacritic user scores and instead of picking on reviews that say "I can't run this game! Meanies!" he picks on many that actually have legitimate beefs. Here's the link.

Sterling getting angry over negative reactions that he has to turn valid complaints into strawmen. Didn't he make a video where he complained about companies releasing sequels that didn't have anything to do with the originals and just wearing their skin while ignoring the original fans? He is always raging about a bunch of companies.... Guess he only does it when it's hip to be doing it then. For someone whose persona is being transgressive Sterling is just a shill like all the others.

Sterling is just a shill like all the others.

YES!

Sorry. I just had a minor moment of satisfaction. I've always thought Sterling was a hypocritical little toad, but I never really had any reason to think that. This is the guy who made a video pointing out how critics are bribed and influenced by company gifts and the like, and now here he is, clearly selling himself out with the rest of them.

Yes Jim. Blame the fans. It's clearly the biased fans who are at fault here.

Back