Fallout 2 mod Getting ready for Fallout Sonora translation

hello,
Thank you for this translation.... :)

i would like to inform that sub on intro are still in russian...

upload_2023-10-1_20-1-42.png

will it be possible to transle it in next update of translation?

So, my fellow mutants, here it is! The

FALLOUT SONORA TRANSLATION

Made by AdolfSatan from the RPGCodex with a bit of aid on my part. It’s a machine translation (Yandex), but the game is playable all the way though without any other difficulties than accepting some ESL-tier English mistakes.

How does it work? Get Fallout: Sonora + DLC, Extended Release by Foxxx from RUtracker, which is essentially FO:S with the DLC and injected sfall. Then download the contents of the dropbox folder with the translation and replace everything in the Russian version. You’re ready to go!
If you’d prefer the vanilla version of Sonora, get the master.dat from dbox and the file called Dayglow_DLC.dat (inside the /mods folder) but rename it to patchDLC.dat, then replace them inside your install folder.

Known bugs in the sfall version (i.e. not the translation’s fault): burst attacks cause CTD. There are some other random items like the Geiger counter that also CTD when used in hand. Gotta wait for the modder to fix it. If you need to bypass this but don’t want to live without sfall of the Extended Release, you can transfer the savefile to vanilla Sonora, do what you have to, then transfer back to the ER.

The files in the dropbox folder will get updated as I find stuff to fix, but at this point, there shouldn’t be much left to do.

Stuff to report:
Untranslated dialog, write down the name of the character and its location.

Don’t bother reporting:
Untranslated UI. I might get to fixing that, but no promises. It shouldn’t affect your ability to play the game in any way, you already know where the AP counter is.
Dialog that’s not idiomatic. Fix it yourself, I don’t care.
After downloading both files, I can't seem to get it working on either linux via a Wine emulator or Windows via a Virtual machine. While I install on my linux OS and run using Wine it has the screen turn black only to crash back to desktop.

I spent the last few days getting this to work on Windows 7 via a virtual machine since I use Linux only for it to tell "Game initialization failed!" after installing several tweaks and adjusting the direct mode with the resolution.

I tried downloading the first vanilla release and patched it with Dayglow followed by the english patch. Oddly enough it ran, but only in Russian. Somethings off with all these three results being unique to one another. I won't hold it against folks who still use Windows. I use Linux for security purposes, but i'm wondering how or what is going down with this "Extended release" not working on Linux via Wine emulator or a Virtual Machine.

After downloading both files, I can't seem to get it working on either linux via a Wine emulator or Windows via a Virtual machine. While I install on my linux OS and run using Wine it has the screen turn black only to crash back to desktop.

I spent the last few days getting this to work on Windows 7 via a virtual machine since I use Linux only for it to tell "Game initialization failed!" after installing several tweaks and adjusting the direct mode with the resolution.

I tried downloading the first vanilla release and patched it with Dayglow followed by the english patch. Oddly enough it ran, but only in Russian. Somethings off with all these three results being unique to one another. I won't hold it against folks who still use Windows. I use Linux for security purposes, but i'm wondering how or what is going down with this "Extended release" not working on Linux via Wine emulator or a Virtual Machine.

Please Look agin in the stickies on how to run fallout2 on linux.. it sounsds as if you've forgot to add ddraw.dll and f2-res.dll to wine overrides.. in winecfg

hello,
Thank you for this translation.... :)

i would like to inform that sub on intro are still in russian...

View attachment 27762

will it be possible to transle it in next update of translation?

Done as requested and thanks for noticing that, I usually leave the intro movies on skip.

Translation v.1.2.1:
  • Intro cutscene now showing correctly in ENG

As previously, you'd have to download the contents of the dropbox folder again and overwrite the stuff in your Sonora root folder for this update to take effect.

Done as requested and thanks for noticing that, I usually leave the intro movies on skip.

Translation v.1.2.1:
  • Intro cutscene now showing correctly in ENG

As previously, you'd have to download the contents of the dropbox folder again and overwrite the stuff in your Sonora root folder for this update to take effect.

after a short sneakpeak in Proto Manager
petition to change critter name "Roboglaz" to "EyeBot" in Russian glaz/glazy means Eye/Eyes.

EDIT: I finally know the source of this translation :p

BTW: "Okno" in Polish is "Window" in English just in case someone in the translation team doesn't know, so now You can proceed to fix the description of it around all Villa houses ;)

Last edited:
after a short sneakpeak in Proto Manager
petition to change critter name "Roboglaz" to "EyeBot" in Russian glaz/glazy means Eye/Eyes.

Wasn't it Floating Eye Bot in F2?

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Floating_eye_bot

Can't recall exactly, but we'll definitely amend this as well.

EDIT: I finally know the source of this translation :p

hm?

BTW: "Okno" in Polish is "Window" in English just in case someone in the translation team doesn't know, so now You can proceed to fix the description of it around all Villa houses ;)

Yeah, we're working through the pro_wall.msg so all of that stuff should be corrected for the next update.

nvermind that i initially got an impession you were machine translating from the Sonora Polish translation, however i later realized that Russians also call Window "Okno" so after alphabet change it would be written the same.

Anyways the Spanish language specific letters got screwed up during the translation process, and they were turned into gibberish. It's going to be hard as hell for you guys to revert that.

I met a crash when I'm entering Phoenix main gate

QQ图片20231005102717.png

And as I try,after I delete mods/master.dat,it won't crash any more
upload_2023-10-5_10-33-30.png

Maybe it's first event of Dayglow?
Is there any problem if I delete mods/master.dat to continue?Thanks

View attachment 27768

View attachment 27769

although no crash, removal of master.dat from "mods" folder appears nessecary i ordr to get initiated to the DLC, I was discussing the mater with

@Violator

in another thread, and I couldn't find out the reason behind not trigering the robot at clvl7 which it sepose to.
simply put, the master.dat in mods folder is preventing from accessing the DLC. I have a saegame where I'm just about to hit lvl7 and if i play with the master.dat that is in mods folder i don't meet the DLC robot upon exiting and entering Flagpool. However when master.dat is removed from mods folder, the same savegame yealds the robot meeting under the same conditions.

Just so You know the master.dat in the mods floder has smaller size than the one in Sonora root folder ( and i do like to inform you that mods folder takes higher priority over root folder, but lower than data folder,according to what's in sfall's specification.

So the master.dat from mods folder overwrites the master.dat from root folder..

My question is, was the master.dat from before translation overwriting the one from translation intentional?

EDIT:
ah almost forgot:
@neptunehs
thanks for solving my mystery, rad-up

View attachment 27768

View attachment 27769

Hey there fren! Mmmm I'm not sure from where you're getting the master.dat in your mods folder? Is it from some other mod? It's definitely something that's interfering with the game, since in the release that we're using as the basis for our translation, there is no master.dat in the mods folder. The root should look like this:

image.png

This is where your master.dat, critter.dat, sfall.dat, f2_res.dat and game .exe should all be located.

And your mods folder should look like this:

image.png

This is where your Dayglow_DLC.dat, z_bookseller.dat, z_extended.dat and zx_tweak.dat are.

Just to recapitulate, the game version we're using is Foxx's repack, that contains both the base game and DLC in one package. You can grab it here if you don't have it already:

Fallout 2 [P] [RUS / RUS] (1998) [Fallout: Sonora + DLC, Extended Release, 14.09.23, Mod] - thread - Magnet Link

So if you're using some other version or repack or what have you, we can't guarantee the translation will work, simply because we're building it on top of this version only. I guess you could just exchange the necessary files with any Sonora version and it would work most of the time, however for unpredictable issues like this where extra files not present in the version we're using cause game breaking bugs or CTDs, you'll have to test that out/play around with yourself.

Last edited:
well i'd advise to check what You've uploaded..

Yeah, I think this was a fuckup on my end, the version history for the files says it was me who uploaded it there...but I have no idea how, when or why I uploaded this master.dat into the mods folder :confused::confused::confused: sorry for the confusion guys.

I removed it from the dropbox, so everything should be a-ok now. I might upload my entire game folder as sort of a "portable repack" in a different drop, might be useful for avoiding stuff like this and having everything just ready to plug and play the moment download completes.

don't do it though..

there's a reason this release is published only via rutracker..

If You publish it with all the graphical assets Bethestards now own, they might sue yer ass

bear in mind Sonora is a standalone release, and it doesn't require Fo2 to play yet

I don't know Russian so I don't know what's original skill text like, but rifles seems to be heavy gun in this game, but "Small guns" skill text have "rifles"
It confuse me a long time...

Last edited:
I don't know Russian so I don't know what's original skill text like, but rifles seems to be heavy gun in this game, but "Small guns" skill text have "rifles"
It confuse me a long time...

Thanks, will be fixed in the next update.

@Violator

Also there's "Presence" perk with "Animal Friend" graphics, not exactly sure it's correct, and there is no sign of perk that does the same s "Clues" in Fo:Nevada, and yet it's functions appear in the game (after choosing all perks), the other team ( from manual translation) translated it as Mathlogics, and the description was different (a new one)..

So You may get that native Russian in Your team to tackle it.

Back