My review of Fallout: the Series Season One 9/10

Nuclear weapons are not something a corporation would get a hold of
Sure they could. But the how of Vault-Tec getting Atom Bombs is least of the problems with that whole deal because in the end it is just a re-tread of the Enclave without being the Enclave but this time in CAPITALISM BAD form!

Also guys wife leaves him so he drops a Atom Bomb on Shady Sands and somehow The Muad'dib fucking misses and just ends up turning her into a ghoul.

Also Ghouls are Zombies now.

Sure they could. But the how of Vault-Tec getting Atom Bombs is least of the problems with that whole deal because in the end it is just a re-tread of the Enclave without being the Enclave but this time in CAPITALISM BAD form!

Also guys wife leaves him so he drops a Atom Bomb on Shady Sands and somehow The Muad'dib fucking misses and just ends up turning her into a ghoul.

Weren't ghouls always zombies? I mean, I understand, there are yet another retcons to ghouls, they now require some drug from turning feral, which was never an issue, they are invulnerable, and that Thaeddus guy somehow turned into ghoul, without his skin falling off, but they were always zombies.

Last edited:
No, they apparently can only be killed by head shots now and feral ones just make zombie noises and want to eat your flesh.
Stop acting like you know the way ahead, like you know the ruuuuleeeez. There are no rules man, we're laaaaaauuust. Corrrrral, you don't understand, the hghouls, they gonna come right to us! Is that what you wish upon our community, Corrrraaaaal? Stick with me and we'll surviiiiiive.

I loved, loved, loved the original Wasteland. Well, I was 12. I still have a lot of nostalgia for that game.

I don't see how it was overly ridiculous any more than many other games.

I love Harold the Bunny Master and his armored rabbits.

Obligatory post in this thread to follow all the rampant bullshiting.
CT Phipps' threads always deliver.

I don't think I've been here for five years and it's like I never left.

What’s the deal with Outer Worlds? I only played a very little bit of it ages ago and never got back to playing it.

It's like a Bioshock: Infinite version of Firefly.

Space was settled by Space 1920s Robber Barons and are the plucky captain trying to save the colony from their gross incompetence.

It's much-much wackier than Bethesda Fallout and I don't actually say that lightly.

I mean, that's the thing--Vault-Tec is part of the Enclave so it's not even "The Enclave but now corporations are bad." It's "The Enclave but this part of the Enclave that was always part of the Enclave but we're referring to specifically rather than just saying the Enclave."

West-Tek is there anyway and they caused the Nuclear War in the original timeline by planning on turning all of China into Super mutants.

Your loss, man.

It was the most watched streaming show premiere of all time.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/fallout...-premiere-audience-ever-research-company-says

People fucking love it and the Fallout fandom will probably become ten times its previous size.

It beat Rings of Power by a landslide.

https://www.levelup.com/en/news/783...beats-The-Boys-and-The-Rings-of-Power-records

Yes, I should do whatever is popular. That's so logical!

Rings of Power? That's a very low bar of quality indeed.

I have this one weird trick to double a corporation's profits:

Start Global Thermonuclear War

???

PROFITS!!!

Yes, I should do whatever is popular. That's so logical!

Rings of Power? That's a very low bar of quality indeed.

I have this one weird trick to double a corporation's profits:

Start Global Thermonuclear War

???

PROFITS!!!

No, you should watch it because it's awesome.

Weren't ghouls always zombies?
Nope, they were just mutated humans that had radiation burns all over their bodies, couldn't run or move very fast (because their bodies were fragile), were immune to radiation (and felt comfortable in radiated places IIRC), couldn't reproduce and don't age. They still needed human medicine to heal wounds and stuff, needed food and water, and they didn't run like crazy or behave like zombies at all.

There weren't even feral ghouls, there were ghoul crazies instead. Which, were ghouls that had gone crazy and would be hostile at sight, but they would still be using guns and other weapons like normal. Instead of "vicious zombies", crazies were more like insane and violent "get off my lawn" old guys with shotguns. :roffle:

Nope, they were just mutated humans that had radiation burns all over their bodies, couldn't run or move very fast (because their bodies were fragile), were immune to radiation (and felt comfortable in radiated places IIRC), couldn't reproduce and don't age. They still needed human medicine to heal wounds and stuff, needed food and water, and they didn't run like crazy or behave like zombies at all.

There weren't even feral ghouls, there were ghoul crazies instead. Which, were ghouls that had gone crazy and would be hostile at sight, but they would still be using guns and other weapons like normal. Instead of "vicious zombies", crazies were more like insane and violent "get off my lawn" old guys with shotguns. :roffle:
Oh, yeah, I guess it makes sense, it's just they were called "zombies" in original games, but that's probably the only thing that resembles them being zombies.

I'm afraid this is No Mutants Allowed letting their attempts to change the past to make Fallout and Fallout 3 seem different.

They're not "Crazy" Ghouls.

They're MINDLESS ghouls.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Mindless_ghoul

I'm afraid this is No Mutants Allowed letting their attempts to change the past to make Fallout and Fallout 3 seem different.

They're not "Crazy" Ghouls.

They're MINDLESS ghouls.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Mindless_ghoul
Ghoul crazies are from Fallout 2. I don’t remember the ghouls on the streets of Necropolis being called “mindless ghouls”, and I know better than to take the wiki’s word for it, but if this is true I suppose you have a point.

This

and the part about the "scholar" saving the chicken lover from the farmer.

It's like a cross between a 4channer and a Redditor trying to make a Sims version of Fallout using cartoon characters from Pixar.

6 out of 10, but I'll make it 7 for effort.

You mean the black lesbian communist who has Lucy raped and keeps her mother as a pet feral ghoul? Part of what's hilarious is that everyone on the more liberal sites are annoyed that she's obviously batshit insane and no different than Hank.

Moldaver also states she's not a communist but the government brands all dissidents as communists.

As for Vault-Tec dropping the nukes, they plan to but given the entirety of Fallout 2 is about the Enclave preparing for the nukes dropping--that's not even a retcon. Vault-Tec is just part of the Enclave and one of the many corporate groups that are shown forming it in Episode 8.
There is a bit of a difference between preparing for war and outright forcing it to happen to "win capitalism".
I feel like we can interpret that in the context that it probably is meant. "This is a game about storytelling not game mechanics."

Which he seems to think the humor is an intrinsic part of. Because Tim Cain knows that the best way to make fun of the guys who welcome the Apocalypse is to make them look like fools.

There's also the fact that fans of "serious" Fallout 1 seem to forget all the ridiculous shit because they edit out of their minds. They talk about how the Master was this deep and serious villain while ignoring that Morpheus is slightly sillier and more evil than Snidley Whiplash.

But here's the thing...Fallout 1 isn't the original Fallout game. Fallout was inspired by Wasteland (according to Tim Cain) and Wasteland was fucking ridiculous.
Fallout isn't Wasteland, though. Fallout 1 is, in fact, the original Fallout game, and while it was something of a spiritual successor to Wasteland, it isn't Wasteland. It's also not A Boy and His Dog - The Video Game or Canticle for Leibowitz - The Game, or Mad Max - The RPG even though it's heavily influenced by them. It's Fallout, not any of those.
It set the baseline for Fallout, and Fallout 2 was already a change in direction.
Well, it is what it is now, basically a comedy franchise with some violence and evil thrown in, both kinda played for the laughs. I don't like it, but well, the parts of Fallout that I liked still exist.

My gripe with the show isn't the direction it took the franchise to, as that has been the direction it has been on since about 1999 with increasing intensity, but just that it isn't a very well written or paced show. It's not even shot very well.
We spend a lot of time in flashbacks discovering the Ghoul's pre-war life, but pretty much nothing that would lead to his actual later character. We don't get to see what happens to his daughter or what happened to his marriage. Why he's a ghoul and whether his family is safe, ghouled, or dead. He says on one occasion that he's not looking for anyone, then he says he is. We don't really have character motivation for him since nothing about his past actually builds up to it, the flashbacks are just character build up for Vault-Tec. And that part is basically a waste of time and doesn't really give us anything new.
All the big companies coming together and deciding the end of the world to preserve their bottom line by planning 200 years ahead to rule the wasteland is a pretty nonsensical move that to make sense should have been explored more, but nope, it's just there to provide a cameo for House for the nostalgia. The actual story of Hank could have been done entirely without the whole vault cryo thing. That is not good writing. I guess they didn't want to steal the conclusion of F1 too hard?
Either way, nuking Shady Sands should have then be explained better, because it should not be that easy to just have a nuke lying around 200 years after the war. They're not necessarily easy to transport, either, if they're strong enough to leave that big a crater.
Anyway. The entire plot of Lucy and everyone else meeting the Enclave guy at the same time and wanting the head (which contains details for another rather odd plot contrivance) hinges on random chance to happen. It is not good writing. It lacks agency.
Other things are just "rule of cool" style of writing and while they kinda clash with previously established lore, the fact that they are just there for the lulz makes them worse. Iron Man power armor. Ok. Played for the lulz, done nothing with it, utterly pointless. Why.
Magic potion turns Bo from Superstore into a ghoul. Or something. First he just has healing factor superpowers, which I didn't know was something ghouls had since other ghouls die pretty normally, but here we are. Cooper also just shrugs off some bullets to his back like it's nothing, so apparently ghouls are now immortal. And then Bo from Superstore just disappears. Why would the BOS be suddenly so hostile against ghouls? Oh wait, they're WH40k space marines complete with religious rituals and voxcaster voice changers now, so of course "suffer not the mutant to live". I guess.
The voxcaster thing was also just there so Durrnzel Washington could wear the armor and not be recognised.
Speaking of Durrnzel, Holy shit what an annoying character. And if you're gonna have a character be limited to just having his facial expressions for acting for much of his early screentime, get a fucking actor that has more than a slackjawed "Durrrrrr" face (hence Durrnzel, combined with his resemblance to Denzel Washington) and maybe a slight smile of glee when he realises he can be more of an asshole to someone.
Cinematographically the show was nothing to write home about. Standard camera work, CGI of varying quality, and credit where credit is due, they did manage to capture the look of the 3D Fallouts decently enough in the props. Bonus points for actually having a classic 10 mm pistol.
The pre-war scenes, however, lacked much of the science fiction elements it should have. For the most part it felt like straight 1950s with the occasional pipboy, but not like 2077. Not great.
And then there are the slomo ultraviolence with whimsical music scenes. Holy shit that was an overused trope. Look, we get it, it was kinda funny in the first episode because it came out of nowhere, but they do the same thing several times more, and it just gets annoying. Particularly because the choreography and effects were not good enough to sell it, and doing it as a funny scene with whimsical music so often wears thin.
I'm sure I'm forgetting more things I didn't like about it (like Durrnzel not knowing what sex is, but in his establishing scene there's someone jerking off in the bunk close to him; surely there has been some form of education in this mixed military setting, right? Or the rather silly "McGuffin machine turns on and the abandoned ruined city that has been dormant for 20 years just lights up" scene), but this is a start for all the things that don't directly relate to the lore or even the Fallout label that much. If we went into that we could talk about how vaults having entrances basically right on the surface was kinda meh considering that previously they have been shown to be usually under mountains and quite hidden. Or the entire McGuffin being silly when A) power isn't necessarily your first concern when your city is completely in ruins and you're basically running a raider pack for 20 years, and B) there being fusion cores around that apparently power an entire vault (or one suit of PA). The latter was mainly so they could do the "take fusion core out of generator like in the games" thing, but it's already silly in the game, so it's even worse in a TV show.
I'm not going to get into the cold fusion McGuffin itself, this post is already too long. But I could write up a bit of a lecture on cold and hot fusion, energy, and what had previously been established in Fallout about this to show that the McGuffin was not a very good one, and basically just a rehash of the Fallout 4 plotline about the fusion reactor under CIT.
I mean, that's the thing--Vault-Tec is part of the Enclave so it's not even "The Enclave but now corporations are bad." It's "The Enclave but this part of the Enclave that was always part of the Enclave but we're referring to specifically rather than just saying the Enclave."

West-Tek is there anyway and they caused the Nuclear War in the original timeline by planning on turning all of China into Super mutants.

Where is that from? Not only didn't West Tek know about super mutants in Fallout 1, why the fuck would they drop something that turns people into bigger, better, faster, smarter versions of humans unto their enemies?

Last edited:
Where is that from? Not only didn't West Tek know about super mutants in Fallout 1, why the fuck would they drop something that turns people into bigger, better, faster, smarter versions of humans unto their enemies?
You are asking too many questions, just turn off your brain.

Don't you know the show is good because a bunch of people said it was, even though most of those people haven't played the games and thus have no context and a reference point to have a clearer picture and maybe an understanding of why some people don't like the show.

You are asking too many questions, just turn off your brain.

Don't you know the show is good because a bunch of people said it was, even though most of those people haven't played the games and thus have no context and a reference point to have a clearer picture and maybe an understanding of why some people don't like the show.
Sure, yeah, but seriously, why are people just accepting things so easily? I've played Fallout for like 25 years and I've never heard of China going nuclear because West Tek wanted to turn them into Super mutants? That doesn't make any sense at all, yet within the space of a few days I've seen two people state that as if it was totally accepted fact despite it being very nonsensical.
Same with Vault-Tec being in the Enclave now. Somehow it's now been fully and completely accepted that the Enclave was basically controlled by corporations and the puppeteers when previously the Enclave was first just remnants of the actual government and then retconned to be a sort of shadow government? If everyone, including West Tek was Enclave, why was the US military taking the FEV research away from West Tek such a big deal when by all intents and purposes they were all in on the same thing? How could West Tek be responsible for the Great War by somehow wanting to turn China into Super mutants when they didn't have the FEV research anymore?
And when did we all just accept that the Enclave was a bunch of powerful corporations puppeteering the government instead of, yknow, just the remnants of the government as shown in Fallout 2? Also, why no Poseidon or General Atomics at their little corporate conference? You'd think they'd be big enough, bigger than Repconn or Big MT.
And no, I don't even like the idea of the Enclave being some sort of shadow government even named so before the war. They consider themselves to be simply the United States government, and "Enclave" is the name of the oil rig.

Back