Obsidian's Project Eternity

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    How so? What was so bad in your eyes? Just curious.

2. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Obsidian didn't worked on saturday and sunday to post updates. Heresy. :)

3. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    I'll take your word on that. They should really add detail to that, especially since some of those stretch goal rewards essentially say "more content".

For a new IP, or an independent game, they're being rather vague. I can't imagine funding this if I didn't know the names behind it.

4. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    They had no plan for the current situation, that is: reaching funding quickly and having to provide stretch goals. They didn't have write-ups ready on key updates and information they wanted to provide. They're fairly slow on communicating with their audience.

The fact that they didn't even have stretch goals strikes me as completely retarded, as does their idea of having a 50/50 shot of getting funding. Lots of these Kickstarter projects have blown up in the first day and blown past their mark. They should have been ready to react.

Yup. As I said, typical Obsidian.

5. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    It's a public press release, some of the most important goals cannot be revealed. Nonetheless, there are some hints floating around in some of the older interview:

:mrgreen:

6. Verd1234

Verd1234 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jan 16, 2009
    I don't understand how the combat system will be like....will it be more like KOTOR or will it instead be like Dragon Age?

7. White Knight

White Knight Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Aug 28, 2010
    From the kickstarter page:

8. gothdeus

gothdeus First time out of the vault

Jun 26, 2007
    Crap! How did i fail to take notice of this?
    Just kicked in $25.

Consider my kickstarter fatigue vanquished!

9. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    I'm thinking something similar to Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale.

10. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
    Yeah, but that interview FearMonkey posted from Eurogamer has Tim Cain saying he's thinking Obsidian can improve on it. Basically, those games* were written using rules made for a turn-based game - creating a new ruleset that assumes real time will theoretically be better.
    I'm not getting my hopes real high, though. I think DnD rules have been refined pretty damn well over the years, if not a little complicated at times. It's hard to beat a tried-and-true system, and I have a feeling that turns will simply be translated into time intervals without any major change in the wooden and sometimes awkward animations for stat-driven RPG combat.
    I dunno... I guess it might turn out well. The DnD rules particularly do not translate well for attacks per turn. Melee animation cycles range from a sloth fistfight in the early levels to a lulzy swinging-your-arms-like-a-windmill deathfest. If they lower the attack speed your characters can gain, it'll make all the difference in my opinion.

*KoToR included.

11. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    So Feargus has been on the kickstarter comments section for hours and he wrote this gem:

:deal:

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    They already did that in NWN2. Except that they just limited the speed of animations, and the game would still register the multiple hits. Worked OK, I thought.

EDIT: The above post is brilliant :clap:

13. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Wow, that's... unbelievable lol.

14. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    I wonder if it was Bethesda who approached them.... :roll:

15. Makagulfazel

Jun 14, 2007
    Obsidian's been a bit more informative the past few days. Here's their comment page:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/obsidian/comments

I haven't played ME3, but yeah.. Who wants to play a <strike>interactive movie</strike> RPG with such limited choices in character progression and equipment? Not this fool.

16. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    Why? What work?

Say what? It's a public press release where they are asking the public for money. The perfect time, I'd say.

17. Makagulfazel

Jun 14, 2007
    Not using Onyx now. Unity must be pretty nice to work with.

EDIT:
    POST SOMETHING SO I CAN POST SOMETHING

18. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    Also it's past 2 million.

19. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    and still 19 days to go. I would not be surprised if they reach 2,5 or even 3 million ...

I am really happy about all those kickstarter projects which did not only reached their goals but also with 200 or even 300% of what the target was. Granted, the money the have set as limite probaby was only the "minimum" they needed for their project to work. But still. Now neither Obsidian nor the people working on Wasteland can really say that publishers etc. limited their creativity. I am excited to see the end products.