Project Van Buren

He doesn't want to comment on WL2/3 but he highlights Van Buren.

I mean Wasteland 2 and 3 are pretty much their own things, I don't quite understand the comparison to Fallout. Aside from the post apocalyptic setting (which is in detail still a lot different) and maybe some cross-references in Fallout and Fallout New Vegas, they have nearly nothing in common, mechanically nor design-wise. And don't get me wrong, I loved both WL2 and 3, I think InXile did an amazing job building upon the legacy of the original Wasteland and established itself as a very cool franchise that stands out in various ways (for me, it's modernized tactical combat, humor and 80's references). But comparing Wasteland to Fallout or even implying it as a sort-of sequel to the classics... eh, no, doesn't work that way for me.

Last edited:
Agreed!

It's a bit fascinating that Chris choose to even answer a question like that. It seems he's feeling really nostalgic for what could have been (and hopefully will be ;-) ).

Agreed!

It's a bit fascinating that Chris choose to even answer a question like that. It seems he's feeling really nostalgic for what could have been (and hopefully will be ;-) ).
Yeah I mean it's kind of weird that he completely ignored WL and switched towards Van Buren this way, despite the fact he worked on WL2 (and initially even on WL3 I think?) and most would expect, you know, at least a word of appreciation for a title he's credited for. Interesting indeed.

As for what might be in the future, I wouldn't hold my breath for it neither, but that's the dream ;-)

Everyone likes Van Buren because all we know about it comes from overwritten design documents. The "real" Van Buren would likely have been cut down 50% or more and half the people here would shit on it because of ugly 3d models and animations. At this point it's really just a nice dream.

Everyone likes Van Buren because all we know about it comes from overwritten design documents. The "real" Van Buren would likely have been cut down 50% or more and half the people here would shit on it because of ugly 3d models and animations. At this point it's really just a nice dream.
I think Chris' way of putting it says it all - it had so much potential. And that's precisely what Van Buren is - a design with great potential.

Whether BIS would be able to hold up with that "overwritten" potential during its execution or not, that'd be merely a speculative discussion of no value.

It's better to believe in a potential and what it can result in rather than distrust it based on how bad it could be executed.

I think this is correct and insightful, but my guess based on the design documents would be whatever the case, it probably would be better liked than Fo2

A few tweaks away from it's own IP.
If this dude actually finishes it, they honestly should just do a "Fallout inspired indie RPG" instead so they can ask for money. They're gonna have to put in a lot of work to finish what Van Buren is so if they can just make it far enough from the source material in any legal manner then I'd say they should. Sure they could take donations but making a game that can be listed on Steam and GOG and herald itself as another Fallout like RPG would likely bring them more revenue for their efforts.

If this dude actually finishes it, they honestly should just do a "Fallout inspired indie RPG" instead so they can ask for money. They're gonna have to put in a lot of work to finish what Van Buren is so if they can just make it far enough from the source material in any legal manner then I'd say they should. Sure they could take donations but making a game that can be listed on Steam and GOG and herald itself as another Fallout like RPG would likely bring them more revenue for their efforts.
That would be true if I cared for revenues. The thing is - I don't. The goal isn't to please my greed, the goal is to make something I believe deserves to be made.

That would be true if I cared for revenues. The thing is - I don't. The goal isn't to please my greed, the goal is to make something I believe deserves to be made.
Greed usually finances making things but good for you man. Good luck.

This is pretty dedicated!

The base system was there for a while, I figured it out almost a year ago from the function names I found in the demo's binary. Combined with in-game analysis, it's quite apparent how it all works in the background even though I can't see the original code.

Details like animation queue being separated from logical actions and the rules governing animation interruptions were much harder to find but I did spend that time anyway, risking a possibility that their implementation is not final/could be temporary.

My sick obsession to emulate everything aside, I just believed that the various levels of abstraction in game logic would lead to a solution like this. Furthermore it seems as an elegant enough solution to maintain system design and visual presentation, which is always a challenge in real time systems.

Back