Starfield

Are you going to be a Bethesdafag?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No.

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • I am a hypocrite.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I like to whine a lot about things I am the reason for sucking.

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
Fallout 76 got more blacklash for being a poorly designed mess than a buggy mess (even if the bugs were heavily criticized), so if that game was the usual shit like Fallout 3 and 4, i.e a single player game, people would have been far more forgiving to it and certainly wouldn't minded the bugs (Skyrim had a legit gamebreaking bug at release and yet people were sucking that game's dick).

So if Starfield comes out bugged up the ass but still satisfies their core audience, they are not gonna give a shit if people criticize the game for being buggy.

And you are paying for the privilege lol

Snark aside, I am actually very curious about what comes out of this. Even if I don't have any hopes for it being anything more than a new plataform for mods for me. I will probably not buy ti at full price tho.

Woah, a 30 minute unscripted gameplay that shows Starfield's in-depth roleplaying systems:

Nah, just a PR video.

Guy that replaced Emil when they made Far Harbor is lead quest designer. Emil is design director.

Don't forget to pre-order the canvas bags!

Please let the whole thing be a complete and utter shitshow with tons of controversies. That is far more entertaining than whatever this game can be.

HAHAHAH COSTELLATION is the most astronomical sounding thing they could come up with.

anBn

Judging by how much people eat up modern Star Trek and kiss the ass of the new Star Wars trilogy, I’m willing to bet this game comes out and gets GOTY for writing.

Science fiction doesn’t have to be smart anymore guys, bad writing or inconsistencies will be shrugged off as “Erm.. it’s a space adventure dude.”

Now that I think about it, Emil would be perfect for the New Trek writing team.

Judging by how much people eat up modern Star Trek and kiss the ass of the new Star Wars trilogy, I’m willing to bet this game comes out and gets GOTY for writing.

Science fiction doesn’t have to be smart anymore guys, bad writing or inconsistencies will be shrugged off as “Erm.. it’s a space adventure dude.”

Big bonus points if they partner up with Star Trek for some dumb DLC.

Yeah, science fiction has really been in decline as has space opera as Star Wars isn't really science fiction.
Star Trek used to be about introducing scientific and speculated science in an entertaining way to people while telling stories with with social allegories.
Star Wars, especially its spin off material was about exciting adventures that took people to strange and fantastic places with un-imagined creatures.

But when Star Trek now is not finger wagging, it tells stories lacking anything remotely scientific or imaginative, while Star Wars even before Disney bought the IP was more and more about the Jedi-vs-Sith and space politics.

And now characters all need to be broken or having dark pasts with most of the filler stories being about their personal dramas, conflicts with other people, manipulation, backstabbing.

Of course characters need to be interesting in order to make the audience want to know more about them, but there is so much focus on them that placing this in space or on fantastic worlds feels unnecessary as we don't get to see much of it any way.

Space adventure like with fantasy is no excuse for bad writing in which any setting rules and structure is abandoned anytime the writer feels like it, especially as often their excuses to do so are pretty bad. Their original thoughts are not that good.

Both IPs are also more about mining their own established lore, recycling old elements, rather than do any new world building, something Bethesda has also been doing in Fallout 3 and 4, just recycling the past.
Here is the BOS again, and a new Super Mutant army, and the Enclave that despite its losses is still going strong, and a world that never improves, and 50s references, and people who seem to be disconnected from reality.

I have no high expectations of Starfield's setting. Most likely it will quite clumsily rip off other well known sci fi settings.

Back