The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Dec 12, 2010.

1. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    I love getting to drag this gem out:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15427

This is why I'm pessimistic.

With TES IV we were promised the moon... what we got was dog shit and told it was gold. Don't get me wrong... Oblivion is a WONDERFUL forest simulator... just not a good game.

Also, to voof, in MW the entire Bloodmoon expansion was about werewolves, so it wasn't that after Daggerall they dropped the lycanthropy... just for shitty Oblivion.

2. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Thanks rcorporon, this thread is always wonderful to read. :D Shall we start the same for Skyrim now, shall we?

3. Verevoof

Verevoof Cryptid oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 12, 2009
    Oh I know, guess I wasn't clear, I meant that they just dropped wereboars (although, now that I think about it, I believe wereboars were pretty much only roaming High Rock).

4. Mr Krepe

Mr Krepe Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Mar 28, 2010
    I imagine being a wereboar being a boring existence, one minute you're walking through the streets of a town the next your eating mushrooms out in the woods, yup a very important existence.

5. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Well Lycantrophy is usually an unwanted condition, not something you actually want to suffer from.

Plus I am pretty sure you shouldn't take turning into a boar completely literal.

6. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    At least the tables and chairs are casting shadows now.

7. White Knight

White Knight Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Aug 28, 2010
    Some details about skyrim. I was quite happy with it until I found out.They have fallout perks. I hope to god thats a mistake on part of the author, and its just new abilities or such that make you stronger as you progress.

http://scrawlfx.com/2011/01/first-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-details

My apologies if some have found this.

8. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Omg, one has to really love this kind of comments (by the way smiliey dude is Todd I think) :D

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You'll be reading LOTS of stuff. All of the quest lines are much more in depth, challenging and interesting. And there's a heck of a lot more to the game than just the guilds and the main quest. Lots and lots of other things to do that haven't been mentioned. Stats play a huge, huge role. Class actually has meaning this time. The game is better balanced. You have more rewards for advancement besides just getting better at things. The dungeons are better designed, the NPCs are more interesting, the dialogue is better written.

You could kill everyone in Morrowind. The game would simply tell you that you are screwed if the person was important to your main quest. But I am somewhat pretty sure we will experience those imortal NPCs again ...

9. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    DIdn't they get rid of classes? :?

10. rcorporon

Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    The quote was from the Oblivion development stuff.

11. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    well "yes" and "no". You dont have classes in the game with some "meaning" as you can set all your atributes and skills by your self. There is no limitation. And you can train them all. Meaning with enough time you can get 100 points in everything. And "No" because you can still "choose" some kind of class like "knight" or "wizard" or "thief". It just simply means nothing to the game. I know its just hairsplitting but still.

12. NiRv4n4

NiRv4n4 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 16, 2010
    Well, shouldn't you be able to get 100 in everything if you want? Theoretically, if someone practiced enough on enough things, they could become a master at everything. Of course, I would like to see a specialization thing, where specializing in "magic" makes magic skills level faster and a bit better.

13. rcorporon

Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    Game balance is awesome.

14. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Whats the point in building up skills anyway, just make a player a great swordsman, archer, mage, cleric, monk, fast food worker from the start, that way they can more quicker immerse themselves.

15. Verevoof

Verevoof Cryptid oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 12, 2009
    You people with the game balance. It never ends.

Well, I'm sure they aren't specifically Fallout perks. Although, I must admit, when I read there will be perks, and at every level, I kind of rolled my eyes. I knew they would bring perks over to TES, which isn't bad, I suppose, good for character building (that is, if they aren't just +10 to, say, Blade but actual character building elements, not just +/- a skill), but I'm hoping it's different from the Fallout perk system.

And I hated having to choose a perk at every level in Fallout 3. But maybe it'll be fine in Skyrim, depending on how fast players go up in level.

16. Threepwood

Threepwood Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 4, 2010
    Just like how Todd saw European gamers were using third person, and said he'd make it more useable. Or when he was designing FO3 and said it was playable from third person. Or when Obsidian told us they adapted FO3's third person for NV, and it was playable.

17. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    New vegas Third person mode is playable but you have to adjust it with the mouse wheel, you can make it a overshoulder perspective and it works just fine, at least I have no problems playign like that.

18. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    Well, in theory comunism works as well. But if youre a bit used with history ...

I think you can follow me.

Yes. Fine point. And with each of their games I had to "download" and use some kind of mod for third person to at least get some acceptable experience.

After Playing Mass Effect 1 and 2 (which has the better more fluid combat) I really think what would have helped Fallout 3 and Vegas would have been a cover based system (for both the player when using third person, and of course the AI). Not only is it making firefights better and feeling a bit more intense it gives it a more realistic feeling. But the AI in Mass Effect works in general better compared to FNV and not to mention Fallout 3 ...

I think I cant expect much from Bethesda here. I mean they have to improve on so many levels that its not funny anymore. AI, Visuals (pretty much everything), story and the content. But I am somewhat thinking they will go with the easiest route. Fixing the visuals (where it is possible), make a visualy stuning game forget the rest and let the marketing do all the necessary "improvement". IN other words telling the gamer that he will die if he doesnt buy Oblivion 2. I mean they did that 2 times in a row, with Oblivion 1 and Fallout 3 selling crap (sorry thats my oppinion) for gold. Doing that 2 times deserves some kind of respect (hey, trick me once, shame on you, trick me TWICE shame on me! So gamers should take the blame no :P ? )

19. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Uh, please. I haven't played ME but I've played other shooters with cover system at their core. All a cover system (especially if combined with regenerating health) does to a shooter is make fights repetitive and unnecessarily drawn-out.

20. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    who says it has to include a "regeneration" (I am not a fan of that either).

Also it cant be more repetitive then how it is now with storming, zig zaging, stupid AI which cant even lob a grenade over a courner