The first Season of the Fallout tv show is out

The NCR wasn't nuked in 2077, it just fell!
Do you mean 2277? I’ve seen people say that that blackboard timeline is actually saying that the NCR was nuked sometime after 2277, because it shows 2277 and then an arrow towards the mushroom cloud. Which begs the question, what was significant about the year 2277, and why wasn’t its significance explained at all on that timeline? They just randomly wrote down the year 2277 apparently.
Mr. House was clearly a shady character, so he was probably just lying to you about everything in New Vegas!
Same logic they use to say Myron is lying and Jet is actually pre-war. Like, even the name is pre-war, apparently. There’s really no arguing with these people.

I’ve seen people say that that blackboard timeline is actually saying that the NCR was nuked sometime after 2277, because it shows 2277 and then an arrow towards the mushroom cloud. Which begs the question, what was significant about the year 2277, and why wasn’t its significance explained at all on that timeline? They just randomly wrote down the year 2277 apparently.

The damn chalkboard has been the point of contention for fans so much that it’s even gotten mainstream media coverage and despite a million other things in the show outright destroying the lore, the focus on the 2277 debate for Shady Sands is being used to paint critics of the lore as stupid despite the fact that Shady Sands in this show is the Boneyard.

Here's another interesting Lore Contradiction, in meme form/in a nutshell. SPOILER WARNING:
IMG_20240416_024710.jpg

P.S. The pics at the bottom left & right are supposed to be depicting The Master with his head turned.

:ok:

I've been in a "vault" of my own these past few days, trying to avoid any and all discussion about the show. I really wanted to come into it fresh, to see it for myself and address it on its own merits.

In terms of lore: I'm not the one for the edgy gamer NMA-tard verbiage, but there's not really any other way to put it than that this show violently rapes the lore, themes, narrative, and spirit of the series to such an over-the-top degree that I can't even be mad. It's just sort of funny. You could fill a book at how bad this series is in that regard.

But beyond that, putting aside any consideration of lore or themes or spirit; it's just a pretty bad show. It's rally just very badly written, very badly mixed, very badly blocked. It doesn't even look that good for the budget it has. Each episode just drags on and on and on, nothing ever happens, there's no self contained stories in episodes, it's just a 8 hour movie that only has 2 hours of actual content in it, and that content just isn't very good. As much as I love Walter Goggins, and indeed he gave a good performance as always, his character was a massive black hole in every regard, pre and post War. Ella Purnell is just kind of void. Maximus went from my least favorite character to my favorite; he legitimately was written like he was a submental medical moron, and once I embraced this fact I enjoyed him.

I really can't imagine someone with no knowledge of Fallout walking away from this program and thinking by the end "that was good TV, 8 hours well spent". It doesn't start off the worst, but by episode 4 I can't believe anyone would see it as anything good. It's just a crappy action adventure show with an inexplicably large budget.

So, I must put the question to you, fellow NMA-tards who've been out and about in the online discussion world: Are people genuinely defending this show? Both from a lore perspective, and just from a baseline writing/quality perspective? It seems almost impossible to think even the most slavish devotee of the worst excesses of Bethesda Fallout could defend this, that they could sink that low.

In conclusion: To me, far and away, this is the worst thing in the franchise since Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Honestly it might even be worse.
So this is just Fallout 3 again? A game that savagely butchered the lore and internal consistency of the series mixed with shitty writing, and yet everyone outside of hardcore fans of the original games is loving it and praising it to the high heavens?

Some stuff just never changes unfortunately.

Last edited:
As far as what other people on the internet think, Fallout Reddit has been praising this HARD.
Gosh... what's so crazy about this to me is that, independent of it being 'Fallout', anyone would consider it a good show in every way. I can't stress enough, it's a pretty bad show just taken on its own merits. How were people entertained enough by this to be able to justify wasting time to defend it?

I’ve seen people saying stuff like this show was clearly made by people with a lot of love for the games because… they used the knife attack sound effect?
Lmao. The sound effect thing was so embarrassing. So was the degree to which almost all of he props were slavish recreations of in game assets with no variety, contributed to it looking like cosplay shit. And in terms of story telling trying to incorporate in things from the games as part of the narrative was so hamfisted. Probably the worst one was the refrain (said once by Walton Goggins and once by Overseer MacClean) about "factions wanting to save the world".

They used songs from the games? I almost can’t believe it.
That's another thing. It was a pretty stupid to set the show to all of those "Fallout" style songs, if only because they were deployed so often and everytime they used they really did not fit the action on screen at all. To be fair this doesn't just apply to the songs from the games, all of the real world songs were poorly used.

There were like two scenes where instead of being set to old show tunes it was set to new versions of the Inon Zur fallout theme, and it sounded pretty good. I don't understand why they didn't just have Inon Zur compose for it. Or better yet, use some of the old Brian Eno tracks. But obviously the latter is just fantasy.

Another guy said that Shady Shands changing locations isn’t a big deal because it changed locations from Fallout 1 to Fallout 2. Really? Maybe it went a few tiles to the east I guess.
Yep, no difference between fudging the exact location on a real-world map and moving a location to be practically on top of another location from Fallout 1.

And of course, the sheer amount of people that claim that it’s always been heavily implied that Vault-Tec started the war. Still yet to see any evidence from ANY of the games, even the Beth ones, to support this.
And by heavily implied, of course, we mean the favored head canon fan theory of the smoothest-brained fans and especially unsophisticated children.

• The NCR wasn't nuked in 2277, it just fell!
In discussing this with a friend who I watched the show with (big New Vegas fan), we came to the conclusion that that must be the point of the arrows. The show essentially has a Star Wars prequel problem: All of the stuff with the Old Republic is posed in the Original Series as being in the fairly distant pass, but it all has to happen like 20 years ago for Luke Skywalker to be the right age, so the degree to which people have forgotten how different the prequel-era world was is a little silly.

For this show: They wanted a zany Fallout 4 style wasteland, but NCR had to be decently far enough in the past to not make its shadow loom too heavily over everything. So, with that chalkboard, they wanted to imply that NCR was nuked around 2277 to give themselves the implication of 19 years having passed, but give themselves plausible deniability by having a final arrow and undated mushroom cloud come thereafter.

• The Boneyard was renamed Shady Sands and the capital moved sometime after New Vegas!
Lol.

• New Vegas says the NCR was stretched thin and the future looked grim, so this show makes sense!
Lol. This one is funny to me because its not wrong in essence, it doesn't seem like the political form of NCR was long for this world in any case. But from the way the show depicts it (the plausible deniability and open question around "The Fall of Shady Sands" on the chalk board aside), the fall of the NCR had nothing to do with it's political economy, it's corruption, or it's degenerate political culture... it was because Overseer MacClean was an evil bad man.

• Mr. House was clearly a shady character, so he was probably just lying to you about everything in New Vegas!
So much was funny about this scene. Just very narrowly for the characterization of Mr. house, it's downright hilarious that his initial criticism of Vault-Tec's plan is that they're giving them probabilities, not certainties... Mr. House's ENTIRE THING was probabilities!! He calculated the probability of fthe great war down to nearly the day!! If you ask him any question about why you have to do something (save Kimball or destroy the Brotherhood etc), he'll tell you it's because of the probabilities he calculated!! He's the king of Las Vegas, he's all about calculating the odds!!

Other hilarious details from that scene: Sinclair has transformed from a twinky little Howard Hughes-y guy into a big fat evil bone-eater that's in charge of Big MT for some reason. And for some reason, fucking REPCONN, a rinky dink little company that was on the verge of bankruptcy that got completely hollowed out by RobCo, is one of the companies that's manipulating the fate of the world. It would have made more sense to have the CEO of Nuka COla present at that meeting.

• We didn't actually see the time in the opening, so the bombs still could've dropped at 6 a.m.
I love throwing my child's birthday party at 6 AM

I don't know what black magic Bethesda casts upon themselves, but I don't think I've ever seen such mass gaslighting before. Even The Rise of Skywalker destroyed the Star Wars fandom for a while, and they're Star Wars fans for Christ's sake.
It's an anthropologically fascinating case

And for some reason, fucking REPCONN, a rinky dink little company that was on the verge of bankruptcy that got completely hollowed out by RobCo, is one of the companies that's manipulating the fate of the world.

What's so weird to me, is that the lady who represents them during the meeting is Julia Masters, who is mentioned only twice in NV- one of these is her basically orchestrating the entire merger with RobCo by manipulating VP and board.

So they got right the name of a really obscure, mentioned-only character but they missed the entire context around her?

Sinclair has transformed from a twinky little Howard Hughes-y guy into a big fat evil bone-eater that's in charge of Big MT for some reason.

Props to the actor playing Sinclair- he would be an amazing Gizmo.

It's the same situation like with Julia Masters- someone saw Big MT and rich guy Sinclair together in some article on the wiki, did not care about the context and just added him as Big MT CEO to the nuke conference.

They could have just used Poseidon Energy and tease the Enclave and Oil Rig if they needed to give nukes to Vault-Tec.

Can't wait for the honeymoon phase to end and for in like a year the 10 hours essays on youtube saying that the show actually sucked and everyone was wrong about it.

Also, can i say just how hilarious is for people to prop up this show as a good videogame adaption just because that Halo TV show is trash? Yeah, i don't think your show is good just because something worse in the same lane exists.

I just can't get over the Vault-Tec started the war bit. Corporations certainly profit from non-nuclear wars, but wars are started by governments, not corporations.

I watched about 20 minutes last night of the first episode and just got bored.

The line that struck me was the Vault Overseer saying something about preserving America with a wry tone. They've been in a vault for 200 yrs or whatever, wouldn't they be more concerned with immediate preservation of their group?

It does seem like we're in the decadent civilization phase where everything is a joke and some component of the populace hates their own civilization. Do these writers hate their own ethnicity and nation? I wouldn't be surprised.

I just can't get over the Vault-Tec started the war bit. Corporations certainly profit from non-nuclear wars, but wars are started by governments, not corporations.

I watched about 20 minutes last night of the first episode and just got bored.

The line that struck me was the Vault Overseer saying something about preserving America with a wry tone. They've been in a vault for 200 yrs or whatever, wouldn't they be more concerned with immediate preservation of their group?

It does seem like we're in the decadent civilization phase where everything is a joke and some component of the populace hates their own civilization. Do these writers hate their own ethnicity and nation? I wouldn't be surprised.
I don't think people necessarily hate their nation or ethnicity. We've just realized completely trivial these concepts are on a long enough timeline. I was born a white American and I couldn't give a fuck about either of those things. North America could burn to the ground tomorrow and I would be outside roasting hot dogs.

I don't think people necessarily hate their nation or ethnicity. We've just realized completely trivial these concepts are on a long enough timeline. I was born a white American and I couldn't give a fuck about either of those things. North America could burn to the ground tomorrow and I would be outside roasting hot dogs.
I guess it's human nature to assume that when SHTF other people are doing the dying, not you?

If civilization is trivial, what is non-trivial then?

I guess it's human nature to assume that when SHTF other people are doing the dying, not you?

If civilization is trivial, what is non-trivial then?
Ah propagandizing tragedy, the typical western response. I'm not responsible for putting a weapon in anyone's hand nor am I obligated to give a shit about those that do. I just find letting things you have no choice in or no control over define who are is frankly ridiculous. Getting my knickers in a bunch over imaginary lines drawn by prissy white slave owning crybabies that didn't even belive in the ideas they were pushing isn't something I'm willing to waste my limited time an energy on. We're all worm food in the end. Might as well invest my time in things that matter to me as an individual.

So, I must put the question to you, fellow NMA-tards who've been out and about in the online discussion world: Are people genuinely defending this show? Both from a lore perspective, and just from a baseline writing/quality perspective? It seems almost impossible to think even the most slavish devotee of the worst excesses of Bethesda Fallout could defend this, that they could sink that low.
Oh man, the shilling for this show is ever-present. You'd be amazed how quick people are to call this an amazing show. I could see it if it was at least exciting and well shot but it is a miserably boring show even taken on its own merits.

Shit even from a braindead fan perspective there isn't much on offer here. Where are the deathclaws? Where are the super mutants? No cool power armor fights at all.

I just can't forgive the reset of the west coast to make it just like the East.

Nihilism, got it.

Yes and no. I feel I'm more positive than most traditional nihilists but useless tribalistic nonsense like religion, politics, race, national identity, which sex organs I have etc. mean absolutely nothing to me. They are just leashes for those in power to pull on.

Ah propagandizing tragedy, the typical western response. I'm not responsible for putting a weapon in anyone's hand nor am I obligated to give a shit about those that do. I just find letting things you have no choice in or no control over define who are is frankly ridiculous. Getting my knickers in a bunch over imaginary lines drawn by prissy white slave owning crybabies that didn't even belive in the ideas they were pushing isn't something I'm willing to waste my limited time an energy on. We're all worm food in the end. Might as well invest my time in things that matter to me as an individual.
I almost hit bingo on your buzzword salad. Little bit more please

Do these writers hate their own ethnicity and nation? I wouldn't be surprised
That's been the MO of major media production for the past, like, ten years. Destroy western civilization as a concept, annihilate the home race, etc;
They are just leashes for those in power to pull on.
Wow, very enlightened. See how well that mentality holds up when the powers that be put you up against the wall.

That's been the MO of major media production for the past, like, ten years. Destroy western civilization as a concept, annihilate the home race, etc;

Wow, very enlightened. See how well that mentality holds up when the powers that be put you up against the wall.

Hasn't happened yet and likely won't considering how spineless a lot of the bogeyman bullshit is. Keep living afraid.

Back