The first Season of the Fallout tv show is out

Because Emil didn't really think through the implication of what he was saying. That being at least accessory to war crimes was no big deal. He thought if Nate didn't fire the shot he was morally cleared but still close to something bad happening therefore awesome.
Emil lost a lot of weight, but as a writer he's still about as edgy as a pile of butter.

That's why you shouldn't insult someone based on their weight. Because they can lose a lot weight and all your insults become nonsensical.

Because deciding the morals for a blank state character while also not critically engaging with said lore titbit in game is weak and stupid as all hell. Pure Bethesda thinking.
I mean people bitched about the fact that the backstory of the FO4 protagonists were written in stone as army vet and lawyer along with being in a marriage with a child. This is just throwing fuel onto a very old fire unnecessarily. Why? MCU connectivity bullshit most likely.

Well I’m done.

Overall I’m pleasantly surprised how well it turned out.

Now we just wait a decade for a new game.

Maybe a bit off-topic but can we talk about how utterly dogshit awful the blocking, camera work, and action are? The whole show is shot in slo-mo and when it isn't there are just two characters standing around expositing, with virtually no stage action or camera work out in place to make the show feel alive.

The action sequence with The Ghoul fighting everybody in the town should have been an action highlight, but the cuts are so slow, the action so meandering, and the character moments so weak that I am left baffled by its execution.

I mean there is no reason for a show like this to feel so low energy all the time. It's not even dumb fun. It's boring as fuck.

Maybe a bit off-topic but can we talk about how utterly dogshit awful the blocking, camera work, and action are? The whole show is shot in slo-mo and when it isn't there are just two characters standing around expositing, with virtually no stage action or camera work out in place to make the show feel alive.

The action sequence with The Ghoul fighting everybody in the town should have been an action highlight, but the cuts are so slow, the action so meandering, and the character moments so weak that I am left baffled by its execution.

I mean there is no reason for a show like this to feel so low energy all the time. It's not even dumb fun. It's boring as fuck.
The constant slomo action shots bothered me, too. Especially since they almost always put whimsical music over it, regardless of it fitting or not.

Howdy,

Well, that thing will have made me come back here which is always nice.

(Paradoxically, I haven't come back despite doing a lot of modding work on NV and TTW, which is odd)

I found the show to be visually very impressive and completely devoid of interest. Which is something I'm saying a lot these days about fiction ("Leave the world behind" being a great example).
The tone is just way too silly and cartoonish for my taste, it's like someone forgot that the the silly bits in FO2 were Easter eggs, not the general tone.

I'm still having trouble when everything is so vault centric, too. Bethesda just wants to have stuff start and end in the vaults, whereas I find them more interesting as background lore entities. NV was spot on regarding that. But it's a personal thing I suppose, I'm more interested in the guys above.

I'm not sure where I stand on the retcon issue, I guess "if you try really hard it works"...

About the shots of New Vegas at the end... Remind me which ending is supposed to be canon? (That word again).
It seems odd that 15 years after the Courier, NV would be in such a state.

Most of the references were too on the nose and the fan service got way too obvious and key dangling I think. Which was their way to try and placate some of the fans.

All said, it's a decent adaptation of Bethesda's take on Fallout, which is and always has been a shitty perspective on what the world was supposed to be.

And I don't get the praise around the cast.
Goggins is great as usual, the rest is average at best, Moten is terrible to the point where I thought he was a synth (apparently I'm not the only one).

Last edited:
I was on a plane today and the guy next to me was watching it on his phone, so I caught bits and pieces of it. I must say, it looked like it COULD have been good. Like, if it didn’t have the Fallout branding then I might’ve been able to enjoy it on its own merits. But maybe the sound design and dialogue sucks or something, who knows. Visually though, not too bad.

I liked when Walton Goggins cut the girl’s finger off. That was cool.

From what I've heard, a lot of the soundtrack and background audio is overbearing and drowns out a lot of what characters are saying. I also heard that might be a tactic to ward off potential watchalong critique style videos, as most of the music is copyrighted.

Drinker waiting to see what the "correct" response is before wading in again, I see. Fuckin' mongoloid.
Care to elaborate? Are you saying he caters his videos to his fans? Are you saying he's farming views? Shocking!

I can't decide if I should try the show, just can't get past the premise of the ending as I understand it.

We started the nuclear war to protect our quarterly profits!
Being lectured on anti-capitalism by amazon has to be just about peak hypocrisy.

I don't think Drinker cares about what this tv show is in relation to the games and will judge it on its own merits alone. Alas, I do not have time to watch his video.

My2isHJ.png

I've been in a "vault" of my own these past few days, trying to avoid any and all discussion about the show. I really wanted to come into it fresh, to see it for myself and address it on its own merits.

In terms of lore: I'm not the one for the edgy gamer NMA-tard verbiage, but there's not really any other way to put it than that this show violently rapes the lore, themes, narrative, and spirit of the series to such an over-the-top degree that I can't even be mad. It's just sort of funny. You could fill a book at how bad this series is in that regard.

But beyond that, putting aside any consideration of lore or themes or spirit; it's just a pretty bad show. It's rally just very badly written, very badly mixed, very badly blocked. It doesn't even look that good for the budget it has. Each episode just drags on and on and on, nothing ever happens, there's no self contained stories in episodes, it's just a 8 hour movie that only has 2 hours of actual content in it, and that content just isn't very good. As much as I love Walter Goggins, and indeed he gave a good performance as always, his character was a massive black hole in every regard, pre and post War. Ella Purnell is just kind of void. Maximus went from my least favorite character to my favorite; he legitimately was written like he was a submental medical moron, and once I embraced this fact I enjoyed him.

I really can't imagine someone with no knowledge of Fallout walking away from this program and thinking by the end "that was good TV, 8 hours well spent". It doesn't start off the worst, but by episode 4 I can't believe anyone would see it as anything good. It's just a crappy action adventure show with an inexplicably large budget.

So, I must put the question to you, fellow NMA-tards who've been out and about in the online discussion world: Are people genuinely defending this show? Both from a lore perspective, and just from a baseline writing/quality perspective? It seems almost impossible to think even the most slavish devotee of the worst excesses of Bethesda Fallout could defend this, that they could sink that low.

In conclusion: To me, far and away, this is the worst thing in the franchise since Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Honestly it might even be worse.

I've been in a "vault" of my own these past few days, trying to avoid any and all discussion about the show. I really wanted to come into it fresh, to see it for myself and address it on its own merits.

In terms of lore: I'm not the one for the edgy gamer NMA-tard verbiage, but there's not really any other way to put it than that this show violently rapes the lore, themes, narrative, and spirit of the series to such an over-the-top degree that I can't even be mad. It's just sort of funny. You could fill a book at how bad this series is in that regard.

But beyond that, putting aside any consideration of lore or themes or spirit; it's just a pretty bad show. It's rally just very badly written, very badly mixed, very badly blocked. It doesn't even look that good for the budget it has. Each episode just drags on and on and on, nothing ever happens, there's no self contained stories in episodes, it's just a 8 hour movie that only has 2 hours of actual content in it, and that content just isn't very good. As much as I love Walter Goggins, and indeed he gave a good performance as always, his character was a massive black hole in every regard, pre and post War. Ella Purnell is just kind of void. Maximus went from my least favorite character to my favorite; he legitimately was written like he was a submental medical moron, and once I embraced this fact I enjoyed him.

I really can't imagine someone with no knowledge of Fallout walking away from this program and thinking by the end "that was good TV, 8 hours well spent". It doesn't start off the worst, but by episode 4 I can't believe anyone would see it as anything good. It's just a crappy action adventure show with an inexplicably large budget.

So, I must put the question to you, fellow NMA-tards who've been out and about in the online discussion world: Are people genuinely defending this show? Both from a lore perspective, and just from a baseline writing/quality perspective? It seems almost impossible to think even the most slavish devotee of the worst excesses of Bethesda Fallout could defend this, that they could sink that low.

In conclusion: To me, far and away, this is the worst thing in the franchise since Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Honestly it might even be worse.
Your recent absence from these discussions has not gone unnoticed. I’ve been looking forward to hearing your thoughts because you’re generally one of the more intelligent and level-headed people here.

As far as what other people on the internet think, Fallout Reddit has been praising this HARD. It’s been trending every other day since the show was released. I’ve seen at least two shitty reaction gifs from this show that have so many upvotes that it’s impossible for me to believe it’s not being astroturfed. I’m too sensitive and easily triggered to read through these entire threads, but I’ve seen people saying stuff like this show was clearly made by people with a lot of love for the games because… they used the knife attack sound effect? They used songs from the games? I almost can’t believe it. Another guy said that Shady Shands changing locations isn’t a big deal because it changed locations from Fallout 1 to Fallout 2. Really? Maybe it went a few tiles to the east I guess. And of course, the sheer amount of people that claim that it’s always been heavily implied that Vault-Tec started the war. Still yet to see any evidence from ANY of the games, even the Beth ones, to support this. I don’t know why I keep subjecting myself to Reddit, it really is an addiction for me.

Oh, to be fair, the last trending Fallout post was bemoaning how ghouls look cleaner and lamer each time they show up. So there’s still some sanity left I guess.

The dick riding for this show is some of the worst cope I've ever seen in my life, and as someone who interacts with Fallout communities both in and out of NMA, I can confirm people are drawing the most mental gymnastic loops I've ever seen drawn to justify the lore changes in the show.

Here are some I particularly enjoy:

• The NCR wasn't nuked in 2277, it just fell!
  • The NCR isn't completely gone, they're in the Hub regrouping!
  • The Boneyard was renamed Shady Sands and the capital moved sometime after New Vegas!
  • New Vegas isn't retconned, Emil still says it's canon
  • New Vegas says the NCR was stretched thin and the future looked grim, so this show makes sense!
  • The Ghoul isn't a Gary Stu, he's been in the Wasteland for 200 years, of course he'd be more knowledgeable and powerful!
  • Mr. House was clearly a shady character, so he was probably just lying to you about everything in New Vegas!
  • We didn't actually see the time in the opening, so the bombs still could've dropped at 6 a.m.
I don't know what black magic Bethesda casts upon themselves, but I don't think I've ever seen such mass gaslighting before. Even The Rise of Skywalker destroyed the Star Wars fandom for a while, and they're Star Wars fans for Christ's sake.

Last edited:
(Spoilers)
The writers definitely made it a point to show iconic Fallout imagery regardless of meaning sadly. There's a scene where literal lead farmers(farming lead with metal detectors) use two perfectly intact sets of NCR ranger veteran armor when they go out farming. I guess they found those lying around or the dad was part of the NCR before it fell? :roll: But they don't bother to show any rangers at the new alleged NCR Headquarters. Just dudes in junk armor or airsoft tacticool gear. I am genuinely surprised the original 10mm pistol makes a cameo.

Also the ranger armor looked like shit. It was like rubber halloween costumes! Amateur cosplayers have legitimately superior recreations.

Last edited:
Back