The Outer Worlds information overload

It was kinda strange that the center of the presentation was mass slaughter of friendly NPCs.
What happened Tim?
View attachment 12061
Wait the demo was fucking CAIN? I had no idea. Man he should no better than to spend literally the whole demo killing people and showing off literally nothing of what the people who buy his games want him to see. Pretty disappointed.

What a mess @Alphons
Tim never said he's against violence in videogames. I think term "Heap of Gore technology" describing violent death animations in Fallout was coined by him and he also defended violent elements in first Fallout when the license owner was against it.

Have you watched the video I linked before from Pax? Outer Worlds' combat system isn't that good to make it a center of their presentation, especially after they lost a lot of good will after going Epic exclusive. Instead of showing more quests and dialogues they decided to engage in a wooden shootout with friendly brain-dead AI. Have they showed up something cool- some bigger fight at the end of quest or something similar (or just had better AI)- I would be perfectly fine or interested more in the game.

For something similar I could look up Whiterun Kill All on vanilla Skyrim and be equally bored.

Nope, didn't watch any video. I just think quoting Tim on general scope and vision for first Fallout and compare it with his take on OW is way off and totally unfair. Fallout was a post-apo PC game on destroyed and re-settled Earth, whilst OW seem to be much more futuristic action multiplatformer set in a foreign world with corporate wars raging on, where hi-tech equipment is a mandatory. Two different settings with completely different gameplay and target audience simply cannot be compared. Also my point is Tim has successfuly created videogame and sleeper hit with extremely funny take off on violence in the nineties, before kid Howard started working in Bethesda as a shy pizza boy without any technical or designer experience. Sure Tim knows a little bit of tasteful violence could be funny, he knew it long before Todd started arselicking and elbowing his way up in Beth's hierarchy.

Nope, didn't watch any video. I just think quoting Tim on general scope and vision for first Fallout and compare it with his take on OW is way off and totally unfair. Fallout was a post-apo PC game on destroyed and re-settled Earth, whilst OW seem to be much more futuristic action multiplatformer set in a foreign world with corporate wars raging on, where hi-tech equipment is a mandatory. Two different settings with completely different gameplay and target audience simply cannot be compared. Also my point is Tim has successfuly created videogame and sleeper hit with extremely funny take off on violence in the nineties, before kid Howard started working in Bethesda as a shy pizza boy without any technical or designer experience. Sure Tim knows a little bit of tasteful violence could be funny, he knew it long before Todd started arselicking and elbowing his way up in Beth's hierarchy.

Again, it's not about violence. During their presentation at Pax they showed a part of a quest involving a casting (found it interesting and dialogue wasn't bad). Then in the middle of the quest they've decided not to finish the quest and just kill everyone involved and several nearby NPCs which looked as interesting as the mentioned Kill All Whiterun on Youtube.
Outer Worlds won't be a great shooter so why would they waste time on showing the uninteresting shootout with brain-dead friendly AI instead of something scripted or doing a bunch of quests and showing how many paths the game has.

No idea, possibly they just try to impress youngest folks in their target audience, just as they did in first Fallout demo with gatling hidden in fridge and almost non-existent quests or any NPC interactions.

Again, it's not about violence. During their presentation at Pax they showed a part of a quest involving a casting (found it interesting and dialogue wasn't bad). Then in the middle of the quest they've decided not to finish the quest and just kill everyone involved and several nearby NPCs which looked as interesting as the mentioned Kill All Whiterun on Youtube.
Outer Worlds won't be a great shooter so why would they waste time on showing the uninteresting shootout with brain-dead friendly AI instead of something scripted or doing a bunch of quests and showing how many paths the game has.

Could be trying to show off that all NPCs are killable, or something else related to reactivity...

With both The Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3 being Epic Game Store exclusives I can't help but get the feeling that Pirate Bay is going to be seeing a lot of traffic soon. Good job morons! Hope that Fortnite money was worth it.

Last edited:
Ehh I don't really get the hysteria about that video. It isn't very interesting to me as combat is not what I really care about in these games, but I'm pretty damn sure they will show off quests and dialogue properly before release. What little they did show, had promise imo.

Epic Games Store exclusive is a bit of a bummer, but to me personally not *that* big of a deal in the end as I did end up installing it for the free copy of Subnautica, and the store itself seems to be working fine, so whatever.

Last edited:
Ehh I don't really get the hysteria about that video. It isn't very interesting to me as combat is not what I really care about in these games, but I'm pretty damn sure they will show off quests and dialogue properly before release. What little they did show, had promise imo.

Epic Games Store exclusive is a bit of a bummer, but to me personally not *that* big of a deal in the end as I did end up installing it for the free copy of Subnautica, and the store itself seems to be working fine, so whatever.

Enjoy getting your data mined by Chinese and Tencent.

I refuse to install this spyware. Already deleted my account.

:flameon:I just wanna add to the fire.

Also+i+am+sorry+for+posting+a+picture+so+small+_d085dac5727ad2ff338f7baa2744751f.jpg

Lol. Also, Tencent has large stakes in a lot of major publishers, including Ubisoft, Activision-Blizzard, and Paradox. So if they *are* stealing data then we're probably already fucked.
Also, Steam providing curation?

Lol. Also, Tencent has large stakes in a lot of major publishers, including Ubisoft, Activision-Blizzard, and Paradox. So if they *are* stealing data then we're probably already fucked.
Also, Steam providing curation?

I'm guessing whatever data they are mining (your Steam library, from what I've heard) is a pittance compared to the vast troves bought, sold, or hoarded by other Internet giants on a daily basis...

Looks like the epic store sux.

For example, last year I replayed Jedi Academy (i miss this franchise. Jedi Knight series >>>>>>> Battlefront) and used the big picture to have suport for the 360 controller.

You get used to this kind of thing and miss it when you do not have it.

Does anyone think they intentionally didn’t finish the quest in the video and started killing people randomly because it’s maybe not fully voice acted/written or something of the like?

If anybody is to be blamed for this Epic Store Exclusive mess it is Strauss Zelnick, the CEO of Take-Two. Strauss Zelnick is a fucking soulless piece of shit who would sell his own wife and kids if it meant getting his hands on a few extra dollars. He was the one that wanted The Outer Worlds to be a Epic Store Exclusives. Rumor has it that he is going to make all Take-Two games be Epic Store Exclusives including Red Dead Redemption 2, which I hear is never going to be released on Steam or GOG and is going to be a Epic Exclusive only. That Fortnite money was just too good for his greedy ass to pass up. Remember that it's not just Epic and Tim Sweeney to blame but also Strauss Zelnick and his greed for bringing about the decline of PC gaming.

Strauss Zelnick, the CEO of Take-Two is a fucking soulless piece of shit who would sell his own wife and kids if it meant getting his hands on a few extra dollars. He was the one that wanted The Outer Worlds to be a Epic Store Exclusives. Rumor has it that he is going to make all Take-Two games be Epic Store Exclusives including Red Dead Redemption 2, which I hear is never going to be released on Steam or GOG and is going to be a Epic Exclusive only. That Fortnite money was just too good for his greedy ass to pass up. Remember that it's not just Epic and Tim Sweeney to blame but also Strauss Zelnick and his greed for bringing about the decline of PC gaming.
I hate to seem like the apathetic asshole, but I’m not gonna be as angry until the next Total War becomes an Epic Games exclusive (hopefully never). But if that day comes, I’m starting a pair of riots at Sega and Creative Assembly.

Back