Armoured talking heads

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Josan12, Sep 10, 2008.

1. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Nice work Josan.

2. Josan12

Josan12 Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 15, 2007
    Thanks Nova. Extra frames for Myron.
    @NovaRain: in case this can't be scripted though normal means, can an sfall script tell the game to use user-defined FRMs for the companions talking heads when they wear different armor? And even different voice files?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  3. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm not good at scripting to be honest. From Sulik's script his talking head is set with start_gdialog.
    It should be possible to check what armor the companion is currently wearing and switch different talking head FRMs. But I know nothing about voice files.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  4. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    Cassidy's all done:

• [Like] [Like] x 9
  5. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Excellent - maybe message Killap and see if he can work it into the next RP.

6. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    Will do. If MIB88 will help me I might even be able to edit the RP 2.3 source files to get it working, and of course MIB will work it into the MM.

Only Myron baby! left now - although unfortunately we never made metal, leather or jacket for him so i'll only do combat, ROBE, power and APA for him to match his sprite. It's a shame he's incomplete but hey...

7. JimTheDinosaur

JimTheDinosaur Vault Dweller
    Modder

Mar 17, 2013
    I'd leave out the APA ones though (maybe just use your regular PA ones); would be a bit boring to talk to 5 APA clones during the endgame ;)

8. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Agree. Talking to a team with all APA talking head is boring, and usually it's impossible to get more than 2 APAs in the entire game. :P
    Unless player cheat or use some mod to loot APAs from Enclave Patrol.

9. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Since I'm used to CHA 4 Chosen One, there's not more than 2 companions in my playthroughs usualy, so this is not any problem for me. :smile:
    Good work Josan12, can't wait to see them in-game!

10. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    While I know what you mean, I have a cunning plan (that may not be technically possible) for APA - while visually they will all look the same, I've already tested running their voices through a 'walkie-talkie' filter to make them sound like the navarro seargent. It sounds pretty cool - i'll post a WAV shortly for everyone to try out.

http://www.filedropper.com/suradio24hp

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  11. Erer08

Erer08 First time out of the vault

May 26, 2014
    Very great work on those heads! What if they don't wear any armor though? :D

12. BreakinBenny

BreakinBenny First time out of the vault

Jun 18, 2015
    Just revert to their default graphics.

13. Drobovik

Drobovik Vault Archivarius Modder

Jun 20, 2011
    @Josan12
    Are you planning to do armors for Vic's head as well?
    You can find it in my pack here. Maybe even Lenny that I put together.

14. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    No I don't think so. It doesn't seem quite finished to me, whereas Conti's Cassidy has that polish that makes it really look like he fits in the game.

Can anyone offer any clues on how to script these new heads into the game?

1) add them into the heads.lst
    2) modify the NPC's script ... how?

15. Magnus

Magnus Water Chip? Been There, Done That
    Modder

Dec 6, 2007
    Drobovik, how do you get Vic's head into the game? I'm okay with just a static image and no lipsync. I'm also super interested in Lara and Metzger's head.

16. MIB88

MIB88 So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Modder

Feb 22, 2005
    Able to work on art

I am not back in the US, but I am back at my temporary home now and can work on this. I have the next couple of days off and will get the alternate heads working. If I get that working - and I am 99.9% sure I can - then those alternate voice files will also be Super easy. Heck, I might have it finished tonight...

17. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    Sounds good MIB88, i'll wait to hear from you while i'm finishing off Myron.

18. Drobovik

Drobovik Vault Archivarius Modder

Jun 20, 2011
    @Magnus
    You can download the demo pack of custom heads and check out the scripts that come with it. Basically its all in the talk procedure. And I based it all on Killaps RP sources.
    Example
    Code:
    procedure talk_p_proc begin 
    start_gdialog(NAME,self_obj,4,HEAD_NEWHEAD1,BACKGROUND_ENCLAVE);
    Check this and this. Use google translate to turn it into English.:wink:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  19. MIB88

MIB88 So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Modder

Feb 22, 2005
    Got it

@Josan12
    Got it. Tested it with the existing heads that were already in the game. Works like a charm. I'll give you the details in pm. Very simple to implement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  20. BreakinBenny

BreakinBenny First time out of the vault

Jun 18, 2015
    I don't think it's really worth it to give 'em walkie-talkie filter versions of their voice lines, 'cause it'd take up loads of space just for "helmeted power armor" heads. Maybe Falltergeist will allow doing that in realtime like Gamebryo did with FO3 & New Vegas?