Cazadors- your thoughts?

Pushy is in the Ruby Hill Mine, up near Jacobstown. You'll find the body of a dead ganger in the Mine; loot it, and you should find Pushy.

Walpknut said:
There are some Fire Geckos that attack you no matter if you have the animal Friend Perk or not, for example the ones on the lower levels of Vault 19, and some random ones out in the wild.

Yeah fire geckos are immune to Animal Friend

But I foudn osme that are not, while in the Restoring Hope mission some fire geckos came to my aid whe nI was ambushed by the Legion while retrieving the case.

Pushy is pretty awesome. I usually don't use it because i am almost always a gun-focused player, but if I have Veronica in my party, I give it to her and she fucks some shit up with it!

outofthegamer said:
brfritos said:
outofthegamer said:
[guns 45] Hold still for a second, I need to introduce you to my friend, Ranger Sequioa!
Ranger Sequoia needs 75 guns skill and 6 ST to be used without any drawbacks.
Why the check is lower than the gun requirements?

It's just a joke. lol.

Furthermore, my newest character only has 45 in guns, and he uses the Ranger Sequioa very effectively. I don't know what the drawbacks are, but he can take out a cazador with 2 hollow point bullets -- that's ok for me.

I know it's a joke, I'm not sooooo dense...
Well, not most of the time. :P

If you have a lower skill than the gun requirement usually this means the weapon will suffer more spread.
You can test the 12.7mm SMG too, the weapon is very effective with 70 to 80 points in guns (the requirement is 100), because the Sequoia and the 12.7mm are powerfull weapons and deal huge amounts of damage.
The real drawback for weapons is having less ST. Try using a Ballistic Fist with 7 ST, you will do A LOT of less damage (it's like having bricks on your arms, your attack/sec suffers a lot).
The same goes for EW/guns, the shots will do a lot of spread.

But the main point I was refering is a lot of checks and requirements in the game are low, wich make rasing your skills too high a waste of points.
I mean, most weapons falls in the "Average Joe" category, even the heavy ones.

I'm not asking for a impossible game, but a little planning and difficult decisions regarding what you can or can't use would be nice.

Honestly, I never bother with the Ranger Sequoia. In my experience, That Gun is the way to go: Compared to That Gun, the Sequoia does more damage per round, but it's AP-cost is higher, it's crit-chance is (much) lower*, its ammo is (much!) rarer, and it's harder to find.

The Ranger Sequoia is bad ass, don't get me wrong; I find that people tend to buy-in for the big, impressive weapons, when most of the time, they're really no better than some of the much more common options.

* For reference, my current character is fairly crit-based. My critical strike chance with That Gun is 70%. If I switched over to the Sequoia, I'd drop down to 46%. That's a pretty huge drop, and it's one of the primary reasons why That Gun out-paces the Sequoia.

milk ducks said:
Honestly, I never bother with the Ranger Sequoia. In my experience, That Gun is the way to go: Compared to That Gun, the Sequoia does more damage per round, but it's AP-cost is higher, it's crit-chance is (much) lower*, its ammo is (much!) rarer, and it's harder to find.
This may be true for standard ammo, but I only use Holow Point Ammo for the RS. I actually won't even pick up .45-70 ammo if I find it. And I make sure there is none in my inventory, that way the RS automatically is equipped with HP ammo.

Against unarmored opponents (most importantly, cazadores) it owns. Only the RS with HP ammo and an Alien Blaster can 1-shot kill a fully grown Cazador*, and 2-shot kill a Giant Cazador. As for ammo, I just go to Gun Runners every Wednesday and Sunday (when convenient) and pick up 20-30 more .45-70 HP rounds. Getting 100 rounds does not take long, and will be more than enough to kill every Giant Cazador in Zion.

*From my experience, I could be mistaken.

milk ducks said:
* For reference, my current character is fairly crit-based. My critical strike chance with That Gun is 70%. If I switched over to the Sequoia, I'd drop down to 46%. That's a pretty huge drop, and it's one of the primary reasons why That Gun out-paces the Sequoia.

Yes, but ehm...
That Gun:
Max Damage + Crit Damage = 70
Max Damage + Crit Damage + Better Criticals = 85
Max Damage + Crit Damage + Better Criticals + Sneak Attack= 170

Ranger Sequoia:
Max Damage = 82
Max Damage + Crit Damage = 144
Max Damage + Crit Damage + Better Criticals = 175
Max Damage + Crit Damage + Better Criticals + Sneak Attack= 350

Ammo are rare to find around, but vendors have them in huge quantities and by then money isn't a problem anymore. That Gun is a great weapon (after the patch) but you really can't compare a mid-level gun with the most powerful gun in the game.

The Sequoia's massively powerful, I'm really not denying that. I guess my point is that, in many cases, That Gun performs just as well, if not better; against Raiders, Ghouls, Geckos, etc (the stuff you fight 85% of the game), the Sequoia's damage bonus is just over-kill. In my opinion, That Gun brings to the table just the right amount of force for the majority of the content that New Vegas offers up.

Even against the tougher stuff, like Deathclaws and Cazadores, I'd probably still give the advantage to That Gun because of its crit bonus and lower AP-cost. My strategy against those enemies isn't to actually "shoot to kill" most of the time; rather, I aim for the legs or the wings, and shoot to hobble. Once you take their superior mobility and speed away, they're really not that threatening at all.

Also, every kill with That Gun nets you an extra shot in VATS, since its AP-cost is less than the bonus granted from Grim Reaper's Sprint. Even if you score more one-shot-kills with the Sequoia, its high AP-cost per shot will still hemorrhage your Action Points over time.

Please don't misunderstand me; I know the Ranger Sequoia's a real beast of a weapon. I just think that, under most circumstances, That Gun is just as good. In many cases, I think it's actually better. That's just my opinion, though; you're free to disagree.

In the end, I think the actual "issue" (if there is one?) is that New Vegas just isn't all that hard, even on higher difficulties, and you can get by just fine without the big, powerful super-weapons that everyone loves so much. I give the edge to Chance's Knife, for instance, over Oh Baby any day of the week.

milk ducks said:
Also, every kill with That Gun nets you an extra shot in VATS, since its AP-cost is less than the bonus granted from Grim Reaper's Sprint. Even if you score more one-shot-kills with the Sequoia, its high AP-cost per shot will still hemorrhage your Action Points over time.

Yes, but, again you aren't considering the numbers. Since with the Ranger Sequoia I can one-shot most enemies I lose 10 AP per kill (with the Grim Reaper). If with That Gun instead I have to use on average two shots to kill most enemies...I lose 8 AP per kill. Not enough to make a difference.

But yeah, I understand what you are saying, I just think you used the wrong arguments. :P

First time I encounter them was when I tried to skipped the recommended route, and walk directly north. By circling around the already known Giant Radscorpion and Deathclaw, me and ED-E met them not far from Goodspring Cemetery.

First I thought they're just bunch of higher level boatfly. I was wrong. Only level 3 with a poor conditioned Varmint rifle, they swiftly surrounded us and stung the hell out ED-E. Me? Ran away like Forrest Gump.

Soon after that, I learn to avoid them and rather facing Deathclaw instead. At least they didn't pack venom~

Cazadores are easy to kill when you have yourself a Light Machine Gun. I cleared out Silver Peak Mine without taking a scratch, and I tore the Legendary Cazador to shreds in seconds.

But yeah, if you don't have a weapon with a high RoF on you, Cazadores are annoying... incredibly annoying...

Now with Old World Blues there's a perk that makes you immune to poison, meaning cazadores will be as easy to kill as bloatflies.

Courier said:
Now with Old World Blues there's a perk that makes you immune to poison, meaning cazadores will be as easy to kill as bloatflies.

Well, HH did this too with spore pods and blood shield, but at least you need to invest some points in a skill, collect the ingredients and craft the damn thing.
It wasn't all hard, let's be honest, but you actually need to work and earn the immunity.

What I'm not liking is that everything is given to the player up start, I don't have to work for almost nothing, I even gainned a clothe that enhance my INT by 1.
I'm fairly in the beginning, exited The Sink and have my first encounter with Lobotomites, but it's a loot fest without reason.

I'm level 22 and it's very easy so far, playing on very hard with Project Nevada mod.

brfritos said:
Courier said:

Well, HH did this too with spore pods and blood shield, but at least you need to invest some points in a skill, collect the ingredients and craft the damn thing.
It wasn't all hard, let's be honest, but you actually need to work and earn the immunity.

What I'm not liking is that everything is given to the player up start, I don't have to work for almost nothing, I even gainned a clothe that enhance my INT by 1.
I'm fairly in the beginning, exited The Sink and have my first encounter with Lobotomites, but it's a loot fest without reason.

I'm level 22 and it's very easy so far, playing on very hard with Project Nevada mod.

Have you ran into the Robo-scorpions yet? They can take a hit.

Atomkilla said:
outofthegamer said:
You can sneak past cazadores with only a 50 in sneak? I did not know that!

I tend to only use the Alien Blaster for Deathclaws and the rare occasion that I want to kill everyone in Caesar's tent. But I agree with your point about having the proper equipment and/or strategy can make a huge difference in this game. That's why I like this game so much and don't ever play regular FPS games.

Well, not really 50, maybe a bit more. Maybe 50 is enough, I'm not sure.
I've never had problems sneaking by them. At a proper distance, that is.

I personally used Blaster only on Lanius, but even then it was kinda dull, just ruining the fight. Poor fella didn't even have the chance to raise that monster sword of his. In the end, I reloaded and played it by the book. It was way more fun, at least.

If you think that ruined the fight try being a level 47 ( why Haven't I stopped leveling btw) melee build with a protonic inversal axe and boone+ ede, he died pretty much instantly wouldn't even talk to me lucky i was just replaying the quest I would of been raging if the battle had been that easy the first time.

On the note of the original topic my first experience with cazadores was one where i climbed a rock then ran out of ammo; level 3 Jordan cowering in fear till death.

the next time I was exploring early on and ended up at lake mead, the nest chased me and having nothing that could do serious damage on them I swam into the middle of the lake because I heard cazadores drowned but I was taken out by a unseen lakelurk on the fishing platform...Damn cazadores :|

Cazidores man... They're rape on wings... My first few builds were not ready for them... My most recent build though? They get fucked up faster than a molerat in a deathclaw nest.
Cazidores just don't seem to take a supersledge hit very well... Not when I've got the knockback perk.

No, Seriously. They are the most annoying bastards in the universe;

Being a fast-paced person, I actually like to get to the strip at the start of the game. The route I take is on the far left of the map, having to go past tribal village I get extremely pissed off seeing that Victor has just been written-off by a group of fucking shitty flies that poison me.

Actually, once you have OWB, you get some pretty awesome perk that means you'll never come across the drag of poison again. Thank fuck, If it's anything about the Cazadors, it's always the poison that kills me.

Back