Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Korin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    They weren't aiming for an RPG, they were aiming for Skyrim.

Anyway, an artist is never satisfied with their work, it's why most of us are always depressed over it. :V

2. Black Feather

Black Feather Mildly Dipped

Nov 10, 2010
    I played a Nord the first time because the main quest is rather heroic, but goddamn i can't get over how awesome they made Argonians look this time around, they look like evolved Velociraptors :lol:

Gonna play an Argonian philosopher-mage in my second game :lol:

3. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
  4. Alphadrop

Aug 21, 2008
    Yea, they're a big step up from Oblivion argonians. The talk animation for them is surprisingly good as well.

He forgets to mention how a lot of the menu is baked in so rebinding the keys doesn't show up on the menus and even mucks some of it up.
    Mods already fixed that though.

5. Token-not-found

Token-not-found It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 11, 2011
    How does weapon damage scale? That sounds weird, are you sure about that?

Even in oblivion it didn't scale, the damage got better as your skill got better and at high levels you got better weapons (until level 25-30 that is).

Many spells became worthless in oblivion but you could create your own (as you advanced in levels) in a way that you could kill anything in max 3 hits.

For example - 100% weakness to magika for 3 seconds, 100% weakness to fire for 3 seconds, 100 fire damage.

Can you create spells like that in skyrim? I think that that's a very good go-around for "scaling" spells.

6. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    I mean you get better weapons and can improve them via smithing (which is a very good system, the crafting in general is nicely done in Skyrim) and you get bonus damage via perks, AND some enchantments give you from 15% to 80% of bonus damage to either one-handed or two-handed weapons. You can add these enchantments to weapons, pieces of armor, rings and amulets. Do the math.

There is no spell creation in Skyrim. You have from 10 to 15 spells per scholl (for a total of about 100) and their effectiveness is fixed; Flames will always do 8 damage per second, or 16 if you max the relevant perk. It cannot do more damage than that apart from using poisons of Weakness to Fire/Magicka (as there is no such spell in existence). You can only reduce the Magicka cost. Other spells do more damage, but have different patterns; runes on the ground, Area Effect, single target, ect. As a result, spell damage caps at around level 25; sure, beyond that you reduce their magicka cost, but nothing will make you kill things faster with Destruction magic. Meanwhile, warriors almost never stop getting better until your gear is fully Daedric weapons/Dragon armor and enchanted to give you like 400% bonus damage. It's pretty obvious that, in terms of magic, Beth tought about flashyness before fonctionality or even basic internal balance.

Also, that article about the user interface is spot in. One of the worst UIs I have seen in gaming, ever. When they said they would take inspiration from Apple, I didn't think it would be THAT bad...

7. Token-not-found

Token-not-found It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 11, 2011
    Make no mistake about it - the old games had "soul" because it appealed to the audience.

Outcast neckbears had soul , it was financially viable to appeal to their tastes , games were real rpg's because the audience had those sorts of inclinations.

Even if the funding entity demanded that it should appeal to wider audiences , the game makers had the freedom to make games deep (alongside with elements that attracted other audiences) because a large part of the audience wanted that.

Gaming going mainstream was the worst thing ever (for old audience).

8. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

Oct 13, 2008
    Has anyone noticed how it seems totally random if it's a crime to steal an NPC's items? Some shop owners have everything tagged as theft, and some none at all. To balance it I have to pretend they are all marked as theft, annoying to say the least.

9. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    The beast races indeed look finally "great" ... took them some time after all those years.

And yet ... they still didn't managed to give them ... beast legs (or digit grade legs).

10. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I liked the Khajit legs in Morrowind. Just sad that they couldn't put on pants back then.

I think the leg stuff / amount of furry-value of Khajit is even anchored in TES lore and depends on in which month one is born. Something like that I remember, at least.

11. Black Feather

Black Feather Mildly Dipped

Nov 10, 2010
    Strictly speaking of lore, there are various sub-species of both Khajit and Argonians

And Argonians can change their gender

12. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Seeing as now Argonians have breasts just like humans in Skyrim, I'd really like to know how they change their sex from woman to man. Wait, I actually don't want to know that.

13. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
  14. PainlessDocM

Feb 5, 2010
  15. Alphadrop

Aug 21, 2008
    Just out of interest but do you know how to use inverted commas properly or are you just being sarcastic? Sometimes it's hard to tell. :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqaFGemOxW0
    [/youtube]

So EPIC!

16. PainlessDocM

Feb 5, 2010
    Majestic is what that is :)

17. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    Reptiles don't have digitigrade legs, though.

18. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    they don't have tits either

19. PainlessDocM

Feb 5, 2010
    Allosaurus would like to have a word with you.

:D

20. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    @UI complaints about not being purely image based: Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought that the Infinity engine games had the issue so common with icon-based inventories which was that you often times ended up with an item you wanted (say a +4 axe) looking like an item you didn't want (a +2 axe) so you had to hover your cursor and read the tool tip. I prefer a combination of mini-icons color-coded text in order to minimize the use of tool tips or the like.