Fallout 2 Savegame Editor

Is it possible to change character type?

I`m currently playing RP2.1.2b as the Bald Dude. I`d like to change my character to the normal hero type.

I had a look around F2SE, but did not find a setting for this.

Any ideas on this?

There are no editors (that I know of) that can change the hero appearance. However, if you do want to change your looks, head over to the EPA. That's all I'll say without spoiling too much.

Thanks for the tip, I`ll check it out.

I had some luck with F2SE by changing gender from male to female. Now my character appearance is the normal female hero.

Dunno what sort of complications it might bring to the game, but I`ll test it out.

Been having errors with this and megamod as well as frp for a while,read of address F52 iirc

edit : windows 7 64,not installed in program files,run as admin,tried several dif compatability settings

edit : tried disabling UAC,no dice

Nirran

I can not reproduce the error. Need more information.
1. When the message appears? When you launch the editor or when you open saves in it(in this case I need these saves).
2. Full path to the Fallout 2.
3. Full path to the editor.
4. Paths from fallout2.cfg from section "[system]"

this is all my save slots,it does it with all of them,tho the error is a little diff with a couple

https://rapidshare.com/files/3890525559/SAVEGAME.7z

1) message appears when clicking the save slot
2) C;\Game Files\Fallout 2\
3)C;\Game Files\Fallout 2\Editors\Cheat\
4) :

Code:
[system]
art_cache_size=511
color_cycling=1
critter_dat=critter.dat
critter_patches=data
cycle_speed_factor=1
executable=game
free_space=20480
hashing=1
interrupt_walk=1
language=english
master_dat=master.dat
master_patches=data
scroll_lock=0
splash=8
times_run=5

also tried this way

Code:
[system]
art_cache_size=511
color_cycling=1
critter_dat=C:\Game Files\Fallout 2\critter.dat
critter_patches=C:\Game Files\Fallout 2\data
cycle_speed_factor=1
executable=game
free_space=20480
hashing=1
interrupt_walk=1
language=english
master_dat=C:\Game Files\Fallout 2\master.dat
master_patches=C:\Game Files\Fallout 2\data
scroll_lock=0
splash=8
times_run=5

edit : if i point the editor at a vanilla installation i dont have the error,only happens with frp and mm(only ones ive tried)

Nirran

By quantity of global variables, I assume that saves are from MegaMod. But after installing a vanilla english version of Fallout and MegaMod 2.44 from your signature, Fallout can not load these saves and displays the message "Unable to load game.".

When I try to open them in my editor, it crashes("Read of address 00000F52" message) because there are items in the inventory with PID that do not have corresponding .pro file.

My editor gets item's type (need it to determine the size in bytes, when item in inventory) from .pro file. And I did not check that the file exists, assuming that once item is in the inventory, it has pro file.
If problem is really in missing .pro files then my editor should open saved games, if you drop all items on the ground.

some of those saves are from the very beggining of the chosen quest,before temple of trial tho,however it did fix the frp saves that were erroring

Nirran

Vad, i have the megamod and tried using your editor and at first it was working fine until, i added an item to my inventory right after the trails (i think it might have caused the problem). I edited the save then loaded it and it crashed before loading the area and everything. So i tried it again with a new game and this time i only edited my stats, (this time i reinstalled everything), i set 99 to damage resistance, melee damage, 999 to carry limit. I also added some perks past their limits, that didn't crash my first save, but this time it did. I edit, save then load the game and it crashes right as it loads the area.

Okay, i thought i had it solved: i reinstalled everything, edited a new game right at the beginning of the Trials ( i only set the stats all to nine by adding to the base with the bonus stats) at first it loaded up fine, so i saved and exited to update this post then loaded the game again and the game crashed right after loading the save. I really can not figure it out. Need some help guys!

I installed megamod 2.44, took Narg and didn't edit anything. After a few of save/exit the game/load inside temple of trials, the game crashed just as you say.

Therefore, the problem is not in my editor.

Thanks Vad, I had a feeling might be the mod. I have no problem with R.P.and your program but I figured I'd ask you, hoping you might know. Thanks for looking into it. I'll try getting MIB88's help or others that might have a solution.

Sorry for the very late reply, Vad. 2011 was a busy year, but I still have Fallout installed on my netbook. Hope you don't mind if I continue this topic.
vad said:
I have looked again at NPC editing.

Strange, but editing proto files in save folder seems work for Fallout 2. Don’t know why it didn’t work before. Last time I raised DR or DT for Vic, but killed him easily. Now I raised AC for Kitsune(Restoration Project) and can’t hit her.

Fallout 1 doesn’t have proto files in save folder. It gets statistic from proto files in .\data\proto\critters directory and master.dat file. (Tested on Ian 00000076.pro)

tips to hex-edit Fallout1 NPC statistic:
1) Find proto file you need in “proto\critters”. Name of file is usually = “0…0” + number of description from PRO_CRIT.MSG / 100 + “.pro”.
2) Unpack if packed.
3) http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/PRO_File_Format
4) If you use Fallout NPC Mod, each level of NPC is different proto file. (But they all are already unpacked in this mod)
vad said:
1. Yes. NPC stats can be changed only for whole game, not single save.
2. Yes, if you use that mod. Or you can edit first level files and copy them over other levels files.

Based on the contents of PRO_CRIT.MSG, Ian has number 7600. Divided by 100, Ian's number becomes 76. Thus, Ian's file is 00000076.pro.

However, you said each level of NPC is different proto file in Fallout NPC Mod. I'm using the NPC Mod, and the proto files are already unpacked. What is the proto file name for Ian's level, then? How to find it out?

First I almost thought that Ian's proto file for each level is 00000176.pro for level 1, 00000276.pro for level 2, and so on. But then I realized I was wrong, because Katja's number is 302, and there no files named 00001302.pro or 00002302.pro.

So how to find out the correct proto file for each NPC level?

Many thanks.

If you run the latest version of the editor you will see "Edit critters" button. All new files are in the bottom of the list. Ian (313-339.pro), Tycho (340-366.pro) and Katja (367-393.pro). Based on the fact that Ian files 313-321.pro have the same primary statistics but different resistance, I suppose that each type of armor has its own pro file. So I think:
313-321.pro - Ian level1(1 file per armor)
322-330.pro - Ian level2(1 file per armor)
331-339.pro - Ian level3(1 file per armor)
Similarly, for Tycho and Katja.

Hoo Boy. I always feel bad when I join a forum and the first thing I do is ask a silly//dumb question, but I've been lurking around here for a while, and I figured I would try my luck. :oops:

I downloaded the fallout series ((1, 2, tactics)) through Steam recently, and added the restoration project and Killap's patch- they work fine. This save game editor doesn't seem to, though.

The error message I receive is:

"Can't Find: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout2\fallout2.cfg"

Have I just given it the wrong path? Do I open it a different way? If I got it through steam, is it configured differently? It doesn't even attempt to load saved games; it just pretends as if I have none. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Are you sure you didn't miss space between fallout and 2? My path to fallout is "...\steamapps\common\fallout 2"

Does fallout2.cfg exist in your fallout directory?

And make sure you have not empty "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout2\data\savegame" directory. Read this for details.

@vad:

So finally I got the time to tinker with Fallout again, and I decided to use your latest version of Editor (F1se.exe) instead of hex-editing the .pro file. The critters editor is very impressive! It is certainly better than manually hex-editing everything.

I have more questions if you don't mind though:

(1) is it okay if I create an armor, let say, combat armor, using your editor? I remember reading somewhere that creating items could make the game crash, but I don't exactly remember whether the discussion is about your editor or other editor.

(2) Dogmeat is not part of Fallout NPC mod, isn't him? I can only find one .pro file for Dogmeat, namely 00000122.pro. I'd just like to confirm if it's the only one file I need to edit.

(3) How do we find out the current levels of our NPC in a particular savegame? I'd like to test my editing, and I find it easier if I just edit the relevant .pro files for each level.

(4) it seems the derived statistics do not automatically change if we edit the base statistics. Is there any way to properly calculate the derived statistics, based on base statistics value? (for example, hitpoints will change to something if we edit endurance to something.)

1. Inventory item's format have some unknown fields, so these fields are filled with 0 or -1 at creation, which are not always correct values. As far as I remember creation of armor has minimal chances to corrupt the game, but I would prefer to change the type of any other armor (like leather) to the desired. And of course save your game in another slot before editing inventory.
2. As far as I know Dogmeat can be ordered to wait, but doesn't gain levels in the mod. But I don't know for sure.
3. There are new GVARs in the end of the list such as IAN_LEVEL, IAN_DUDE_LAST_LEVEL, IAN_LEVEL_COUNTER... I think NPC's levels are stored in them.
4. I don't know any way to automatically change the derived statistics.

vad said:
1. Inventory item's format have some unknown fields, so these fields are filled with 0 or -1 at creation, which are not always correct values. As far as I remember creation of armor has minimal chances to corrupt the game, but I would prefer to change the type of any other armor (like leather) to the desired. And of course save your game in another slot before editing inventory.
I see.

What if I change the number of armor instead? Like, changing 1 x combat armor into 2 x combat armor? Does it have less chance to corrupt the game? Or does it make things even worse?

vad said:
2. As far as I know Dogmeat can be ordered to wait, but doesn't gain levels in the mod. But I don't know for sure.
3. There are new GVARs in the end of the list such as IAN_LEVEL, IAN_DUDE_LAST_LEVEL, IAN_LEVEL_COUNTER... I think NPC's levels are stored in them.
4. I don't know any way to automatically change the derived statistics.
I see, thanks.

As for the derived statistics, IIRC there is a Fallout statistic calculator somewhere, but I have to find it again.

Thanks again, vad.

Hey wait,

I remember using Falche, which automatically calculates derived statistics from base statistics.

Strength:
- each point of additional strength raises carry weight by 25 lbs.
- when strength is above 6, each point raises melee damage by 1.

Agility:
- each point of additional agility raises AC by 1 point.
- each two points of additional agility raises action point by 1 point.

Guess I have to experiments with other attributes, but those would be sufficient for my purpose - editing Dogmeat, that is. ;)

Back