Fallout: The Frontier - Released!

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Proletären, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Archives Overseer

Mar 16, 2013
    The only place in classic FO we know for sure still has skyscrapers is Bakersfield

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/ulysses-is-kind-of-a-moron.204063/ :V

3. Jogre

Jogre So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 25, 2015
    Honestly, while writing the stuff on Ulysses I did actually vaguely remember you posting some stuff about him from when I first read it 5 or 6 years ago(Jesus Christ it's been that long, time is scary), though I didn't remember the specifics.

It gave me a chuckle back then, and I have constantly used your "Crazy guy leaving casette tapes talking about countries in metaphors" description when describing Lonesome Road to friends who loved New Vegas but have never touched the DLC.

I guess the reason I remembered that post is because it kinda perfectly encapsulated the feelings of simultaneous relief and frustration at realising you don't have enough patience to obsess over Lonesome Road.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Shoot me again. I ain't dead yet. Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005

There is this thing.

5. JunjiItosGio

JunjiItosGio It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 29, 2020
    "Tgspy has a kink for bad mods which is why I'm here." Kek.

6. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Simp Slayer

Jun 15, 2015
    I have to say, one of the things, besides the fetishes, that really bother me with this mod is how hypocritical both Blackthrone and Valerius are. Blackthrone we are told cares about his soldiers, which was why he exiled himself from the NCR, and doesn't want them to die needless deaths yet according to his own men he kills deserters if they try to go back home and wastes a ton of men and resources in order to rescue a mailman.
    Then you have Valerius who we are told wants to make the Legion more progressive and forward thinking yet has a kinky sex dungeon filled with female sex slaves. Like, I know that there were multiple writers but did none of them go over each others notes and just went with the rough drafts that they had? I mean, they unintentionally made Blackthrone and Valerius two of the biggest hypocrites in fiction.
    The writers could have done something really interesting if their intention was to make the two be hypocrites and have the player call them out on it but you can't do even that.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. Dayglow Drifter

Dayglow Drifter Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Sep 25, 2018
    That would be a fun dungeon from a design perspective

8. Iprovidelittlepianos

Iprovidelittlepianos Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

May 12, 2020
    There’s a teensy bit of that towards the end of Lonesome Road when the buildings collapse. And now we’ve come full circle.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  9. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008

You were saying?

I kid, but still. I think that Mad Max game did a pretty good job of what such a city would look like.

10. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Archives Overseer

Mar 16, 2013
    The image isn't loading for me

11. megamike15

megamike15 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 30, 2016

i remember when i first saw this and the plushie and was in denial and thought it was from another mod.

12. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    Um, I probably have not played as many games as some others have - but to me this feels like a rip off the Restoration Project ending.
    I mean, concepts as a whole are unplagiarizable - one movie containing violence doesnt copy another movie, just for containing violence, and so on...
    I just feel like an idea like this comes a little too close.
    The RP's interactions are also a lot more endearing imo...

13. megamike15

megamike15 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 30, 2016
    nah dev rooms are common.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  14. Norzan

Norzan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 7, 2017
    Chrono Trigger did the dev room gag in 1995.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  15. WonderGlueSniffer

WonderGlueSniffer First time out of the vault

Nov 20, 2020
    The devs say this is on purpose, that they are supposed to be hypocritical to underline the futility of thier efforts in the Frontier. Now, that's a sensible answer, but it fucking sucks. Everything in this mod's main story is just hypocritical characters, the Player Character getting knocked out, futile causes that fall apart, and guilt being laid on the player character for shit they don't control. And that really sucks.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  16. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    So even more stuff from other games they ripped off.

17. JunjiItosGio

JunjiItosGio It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 29, 2020
    Those are your mods? Great shit dude, those are some of my favorite armor mods. Also I'm very sorry for your loss brother.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  18. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Simp Slayer

Jun 15, 2015
    Another thing I find funny are the trigger warnings and how disjointed they are. I am so glad that they added trigger warnings for arachnophobia and blood and gore. Now everyone can experience inclusive and non horrifying content like bestiality, child sex slavery, mental and emotional abuse, rape and genocide. Like, goddamn it, I have no words or quips for this. And the worst part is that all the stuff I listed are the writers fetishes.
    :puke:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 6
  19. cordelionreaver

cordelionreaver Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 29, 2015
    I find it odd that the mod page says don't bring companions because they will interfere with cutscenes But even if you use the Frontier's companions they just ruin the Crusaders's cutscenes. If you do the NCR path, it just leaves your companions behind.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  20. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Simp Slayer

Jun 15, 2015
    Heard that many on the Frontier team hated Someguy's mods as they were "triggering" and "offensive". At least with Someguy's mods he was inspired by western movies made by Sergio Leone, Sergio Corbucci and Sam Peckinpah and books written by Cormac McCarthy (NVB1 and Russell was inspired a lot by Blood Meridian), Larry McMurtry (The character of Red Bear was inspired by Blue Duck in Lonesome Dove), Louis L'Amour, Elmore Leonard and Elmer Kelton. Since New Vegas is at it's core a western many of those themes fit well with New Vegas and can be considered lore friendly.

With the Frontier there was nothing lore friendly about this mod. The progressive Legion was, perhaps, one of the most insulting lore breaks I saw. The fact that they tried to make the Legion "progressive" and conform to current year gender politics shows that not only did they not understand New Vegas but also couldn't separate art from the artist. Also, the devs political views and logic are quite strange to me. The Enclave are evil, racist, fascist, Trump supporters but the Legion are fine as they have strong women in their ranks now so that makes them progressive. Just because you have women now engaging in the horrible war crimes that the Legion commits doesn't make them progressive. True progress would be the Legion not doing things like slavery or crucifixion anymore. This is the type of political outlook and logic I would except from a Twitter gremlin.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1