Numenera is the setting of Torment Successor

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Diospyros

Diospyros First time out of the vault

Jul 15, 2008
    I don't understand why some people are griping about Torment not really being a sequel but a spiritual successor. What do you think Fallout is in relation to Wasteland? I remember being thrilled in the mid-90s that they were making a followup to Wasteland even if it had a different name and a different take on the post-apoc setting. Seems like that worked out pretty well.

2. TorontoReign

TorontoReign No Original Thought Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005

I agree. Not a big deal for me either.

3. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Maybe they should just drop the Torment tag then. But the marketing people won't like that.

4. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    I think it's more along the lines of Fallout being called Wasteland 2 but having a different setting and ruleset like it ended up having. Also, Fallout wasn't funded with Kickstarter :P

I'm still intrigued though, Numenera looks promising and the team looks really good.

5. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Nah, it's more of a preemptive post in case people are confused.

What marketing people?

Anyway, it's not unthinkable they drop the Torment tag. Depends on the crowd response, really. Honestly I expected more protests, myself, there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming majority against using the name Torment in this manner. We'll see though.

6. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    I'm being facetious. :roll:

7. PlanHex

PlanHex Legislative Senator oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    Numenera: Torment doesn't really roll off the tongue as well as Planescape: Torment either.

8. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    yeah, why does it even really need the name "Torment" in there.

Cant they just make a good game with great dialogues JUST like Torment? What the hell :p

9. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    They might change the name from a setting-specific to something like "Torments of the Technocrats." Though the ToT abbreviation can easily be changed to TiT.

10. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    Right now Fargo is feeling a bit like John Carpenter after he attempted to turn the Halloween franchise into an anthology series, with Part 3.

Personally I think it sounds like a good plan. Of course I'm also one of the mutant freaks that thought Halloween 3 was better than every other one except the first.

11. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    WTF? Are you kidding? We want you to follow it as closely as possible. Breathe down its neck. Watch over it when it falls asleep. Nurture it. Give it the nipple when its feeding time, tap it gently on the back so it can burp.

:roll:

I hope they don't fuck it up, though. I sorta liked the fact that there was only one Torment game.

I do hope nobody gets any stupid ideas and plans on making an Arcanum sequel.

Seriously.

12. Josan

Josan Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 23, 2003
    Indeed. Follow it. It's not Torment and the name affiliation is a tad silly but it might be a good game in its own right.

13. Idiotfool

Idiotfool Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 12, 2007
    I sure hope one of the techno-magical items is the fabulous Sun Sword so I can make Thundarr, the Barbarian! Dun dun dun dum dun duna no naaaa!

Yes, follow this game.

14. Geech

Geech It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 2, 2008
    Brian Fargo. Brian Fargo is the marketing people.

15. Black

Black Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 21, 2007
    More than following skyrim with guns.

16. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    New Concept Art of Numenera
    [spoiler:2bf4f5b0ab][/spoiler:2bf4f5b0ab]

It needs more spikes.

17. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Well, their original plan was to use the Planescape setting, but they weren't able to get Hasbro to license it. And I don't mind them using the name "Torment" in a spiritual successor game created by some of the same people.

18. The Vault Dweller

The Vault Dweller always looking for water.

Aug 24, 2004
    The art looks like it's from a Magic card. The Mirrodin "metallic" forests actually.

Sincerely,
    The Vault Dweller

19. Gnarles Bronson

Gnarles Bronson regular mutant

Oct 30, 2011
    Agreed,

Actually I wouldn't mind. Maybe the sequel would be better than the first. I really wanted to like the first game as so many people said how awesome it was.

20. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

Oct 13, 2008
    Them using Torment is the same as Bioshock: Infinity, it's there to attract the previous audience and capture the mood of the predecessor.