Fallout 2 mod Getting ready for Fallout Sonora translation

Did you try downloading the patch and then reinstalling the translation on top of it?
Nope, since now i'm convinced that the translation version is the issue. Additionally there are other frequencies to fiddle with on the radio, and google translate version just gave a crash, so why mess with it?
and what if some dialogues changed because of 1.04 patch and the google translate version still keeps the old dialogues? there would be inconsistencis.

The radio and a few other files have some bracket errors in the translation, hence the crashes.
And yes, the errors messages are because of new content, looks like the translated base was only 1.0.

Translation is in the works, and going steady. If you want to contribute or just hang around following the progress -
be sure to join the Discord server.

banner.png

(promotional banner translated specifically for the English translation project)

I have been going through some of the texts now.
Some translation issues are very easy to fix such as Flagpool being corrected back into Flagstaff, Sanctuary or Asylum back into Vault, and whatever the Brotherhood Elders got turned into back into Brotherhood Elders.

But in some other cases sentences need to be completely rewritten in order to convey what the translation probably intended to say.
The meaning is still clear but any native English speaker will probably raise an eyebrow if you spoke any of these sentences to him or her.

Also do some names and descriptions work better in Russian or Polish than in English?

Haven't yet encountered a sentence in Sonora that couldn't be properly translated or adapted to English, because the original version itself feels like a good translation from English. It's the setting that does the job here.
And, the thing with reworking that Google.Translate "translation" is that it's more trouble than making your own man-made translation, or than it's worth, really. Plus the quality will be miles higher if you do it all by hand.

Haven't yet encountered a sentence in Sonora that couldn't be properly translated or adapted to English, because the original version itself feels like a good translation from English. It's the setting that does the job here.
And, the thing with reworking that Google.Translate "translation" is that it's more trouble than making your own man-made translation, or than it's worth, really. Plus the quality will be miles higher if you do it all by hand.

I wasn't really suggesting that translating is difficult or impossible, I just wanted to give my view on what work will be required to make this mod really understandable in English.
Like you said translation software still comes too short or really properly translating a foreign language into another one.
I am not even sure if it should be used as a basis for a translation into English. The project is better off if Russian speaking modders here translate the original sentences directly or in such a way that the original meaning is maintained even if the sentence structure needs to be modified to be proper US English.

Sorry, a bit of a useless post I confess but I wanted to see if I could assist in some small scope at least but I rather don't tamper with grammar when my own is already quite questionable.

I wasn't really suggesting that translating is difficult or impossible, I just wanted to give my view on what work will be required to make this mod really understandable in English.
Like you said translation software still comes too short or really properly translating a foreign language into another one.
I am not even sure if it should be used as a basis for a translation into English. The project is better off if Russian speaking modders here translate the original sentences directly or in such a way that the original meaning is maintained even if the sentence structure needs to be modified to be proper US English.

Sorry, a bit of a useless post I confess but I wanted to see if I could assist in some small scope at least but I rather don't tamper with grammar when my own is already quite questionable.

No-no, you're right. Have just recently encountered a sentence that needs heavy restructuring in order to sound equally good in English, I'll be posting some screenshots soon. That is one of the many reasons we need native speakers, to make sure every sentence isn't just a 1:1 translation, that though grammatically correct, is awful in the way its phrased (it can work in some cases, but in others Russian and English differ too much, I guess.)

You two are quite right. Please, for the love of the bomb and your editor, do the translation slow and comprehencible, use native speaker and people with a good grasp in both languages.

Also remember that such a project is a team effort, communicate with each other and lay a basis for terms and concepts that anyone can look and refer and add to. Don't just distribute the files and wait for it to just be magically perfect, support each other and make it open for the team.

I can't stress (ha!) enough to don't burn out your editor, simply get good and competent translators! Don't make him feel he needs to edit and retranslate every minor sentence because the base he has to work with is way too shoddy. *sight*

And don't forget, there is already an english version, so many of the terms and concepts are already standing nomenclature, at least those that are not changed of course.

Just my general opinion and own experience. Don't let it get a slog for your team,
not that I see any issues when looking at the translation team's Discord. ^^

Last edited:
Absolutely, that is exactly what we are doing. We have our goals laid out in front of us in a comprehensive roadmap (the one that was released to the public), as well as many minor dev-only roadmaps, to make the process of translation easy for everyone. If any of you feel like following the progress, or even joining the team as a language assistant (you might need at least some background in linguistics for that) - feel free to do so. We're always looking for more people.

You guys are awesome for doing this. Looking forward to playing just like Nevada. Will the link to download the final version be posted here when the translation is complete?

You guys are awesome for doing this. Looking forward to playing just like Nevada. Will the link to download the final version be posted here when the translation is complete?
Yes, of course. The goal is to let as many people as possible to play it, after all.

Fun fact:
Fallout: Sonora is in quite a few ways a giant homage to Fallout 1, having many of its interface elements remind the player of the first game in the series. Even the main menu screen features a heavily edited artwork from Fallout 1, with its iconic T-51b in all its glory.​

scr00000.png

More info on the Discord server:
discord.gg/ECGgQeG

Back