The FPS rpg, can it really work?

I wouldn't necessarily call give it the "action" title, since you can literally conquer all of Calradia without ever once swinging your weapon if you choose to specialize in leadership and trade. The most accurate description of M&B would be medieval simulation RPG.

Maybe that is a more accurate describtion, like I already said, no one has to take me to serious. I havn't played the game, I just saw some youtube stuff from the multiplayer. All I am judging is M&Bs combat. It seems to have a strong multiplayer going thus I thought that this is what the game was about. I am just saying the Multiplayer alone would not make it some RPG for me. If it has a kind of story where you put your skills to use, things look a lot different of course. Though if it is only about the combat and killing of players, than M&B is not more RPG than lets say ARMA or OFP.

I wouldn't necessarily call give it the "action" title, since you can literally conquer all of Calradia without ever once swinging your weapon if you choose to specialize in leadership and trade. The most accurate description of M&B would be medieval simulation RPG.

Maybe that is a more accurate describtion, like I already said, no one has to take me to serious. I havn't played the game, I just saw some youtube stuff from the multiplayer. All I am judging is M&Bs combat. It seems to have a strong multiplayer going thus I thought that this is what the game was about. I am just saying the Multiplayer alone would not make it some RPG for me. If it has a kind of story where you put your skills to use, things look a lot different of course. Though if it is only about the combat and killing of players, than M&B is not more RPG than lets say ARMA or OFP.

Oh, yes, fair enough, the game does have a multiplayer mode, as well as a pure siege-mode, but out of habit I don't touch those, because they are like... "bonuses"

The actual game is very wide-open, but optimally it is about you, the player, uniting a broken empire, using mostly medieval warfare, but also a wide range of diplomacy.

Again, most role play games can be simplified to this, the vault dweller must also kill a bunch of enemies in order to achieve his goal, and with a very specialized diplomatic ability, you will have less of a need for blood-shed in both examples of games. M&B has less story, being more action-oriented, but it is the detailed character sheet, and the careful levelling that makes it a good rpg in my opinion. If one have ambitions to be a powerful army leader, one must have a lot of patience to go with it, because it's going to take a long time. Killing random barbarians quickly becomes under-paying, in terms of XP, which makes you have to go look for more meaningful tasks (albeit a bit monotonous, since most quests are repeatable random-quests)

But it is much more than just a combat-game. Actually, it isn't so different from Fallout Tactics, come to think of it. You will (ideally) spend a lot of effort refining your team of close entourage (which are separate from the army you ride with)

Last edited:
To those refuting Deus Ex's ability to draw a sizeable audience -- Human Revolution sold like 2 million copies in a few months. That wasn't as true to form as the earlier entries though. I don't think RPGs can work in that context, as others have expressed the FPS is too direct of an experience, it is just an innate quality of seeing the world through the protagonist's eyes. RPGs should leave lots to the player's imagination, staying as true to the pen & paper form as possible. Invariably, what you'll encounter is a boatload of FPS games with these vague 'RPG mechanics' arbitrarily thrown in with reckless abandon.

It has never worked. It will never work. Get off my lawn.

Fallout 3 fanboys are the most fickle, insecure, over agressive sacks of turds. We have a fame for being hateful, but those kids just burst with bile at any sign of disent.
That's true, but your spelling is just as bad as those fools! And, please, you don't have fame by any stretch of the imagination!

Last edited:
Fallout 3 fanboys are the most fickle, insecure, over agressive sacks of turds. We have a fame for being hateful, but those kids just burst with bile at any sign of disent.
That's true, but your spelling is just as bad as those fools! And, please, you don't have fame by any stretch of the imagination!
Poor spelling does not remotely equate to mind-numbing, crippling stupidity the likes of fanboys possess. It just equates to..... poor spelling. And giving him the benefit of the doubt, I feel PRETTY sure he was referring to the collective identity of NMA as a whole when he was saying "we have a fame for being hateful". The oft-quoted "glittering gems of hatred" by many users is a common throwback to this notion. The idea that NMA is known for something.

Yes, but it can be grating, as most of the other posts here are well-articulated and grammatically sound. I just find that even a well-reasoned argument can fail to sound cohesive without proper grammar. I was aware of who he was referring to, that, but good god, that's a grandiose claim if I ever heard one. Ironically, the only time I've heard this site mentioned is by Fallout 3 fanboys on Reddit -- i.e. the very people you would rather distance yourselves from -- And referenced on some Kotaku article by a harebrained hack. So if that constitutes 'fame' then I want my terrazzo star on Hollywood Boulevard.

But, I digress. I apologise for derailing the conversation.

I do not think it's the case that there simply hasn't been a game that adequately lives up to the somewhat-lofty expectations of Role Playing Games (in the first person context), but rather that it is a fundamentally broken proposition.

In an FPS world, the constituents of an effective RPG cannot be executed with the correct fervour that the genre requires: simply put, in an FPS, everything is laid out in black and white. 'Roles' extend as far as being better with x-variant weapons than y-variant weapons, and are quantified by arbitrary skill systems that usually don't even encourage much 'RP' in the RPG. While that is an element of conventional, true RPG structure, it is not...or should not be the focal point of one, when looking at the bigger picture.

Another point : From the FPS, so-called 'RPGs' that I've played, choice and consequence always takes a backseat, as the games are always derived from the barebones, linear experience found in an FPS, but expanded from 'you must take A path' to 'Choose A, B or C', but otherwise is a painting-by-numbers affair that may amount to different ending dialogue or an arbitrary 'karma' effect like in the godawful Fallout 3.

Of course, these are very underdeveloped thoughts and I'm simply summarising quite a complex and ...subjective subject matter, but at a surface level those are my feelings on it.

Well, I am trilingual and a fast typper, so if you don't like my spelling you can submit your complaints in fluent spanish :V

Last edited:
It is true though. People forget that most of the people on this site speak more than one language - English not being the primary one in many cases. In Walpknut's case he tends to not give a shit about typos much either. :mrgreen:

I wish I still knew some Japanese-fluent people who could correct me on my broken phrases without laughing at me for my "terrible accent". At least I still have family to correct my Serbian.

If a japanese person laughs at your accent, ask them to say "World" or to count to 20 in english.

The person who laughed at my accent was fluent in English. She just had Japanese parents and was fluent in Japanese like I was (at the time) fluent in Serbian due to my family. Years later, a Japanese exchange student who lived with my best friend would take the time to have short conversations with me, and indulge my poor capacity to listen to him, and he was very nice about it. Never condescending. However, ANOTHER Japanese exchange student HAPPENED to move in some time later, and he would make fun of HIS accent behind his back on at least one occasion, because one came from Tokyo, the other from Kyoto, and they had trouble understanding each other through their accents. That was a funny moment. XD

Mount and blade is a great RPG type game! While the game can have a lot of grinding I do recommend trying the game! The amount of mods is staggering. It probably has the most total conversion mods for any game. Most mod change the location and setting entirely, adding new features and new enemies. Play it, it's a fantastic game! Makes me all the more excited for Bannerlord. If you can't get into MBW sandbox setting wait for Bannerlord which will have more direction yet still have loads of freedom (I hope).

THis is maybe a bit harsh, but it does kinda meet my feelings with First Person RPGs. At least those that are more on the shooter side of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I forgot how shitty the weapons in Fo3 sounded, they downright sound like toys. No kick to the sound.

don't open that video in a new window and look at the comments don't open that video in a new window and look at the comments don't open that video in a new window and look at the comments

make the bad people stop make the bad people stop

Back