Lonesome Road speculation

RRBM said:
[spoiler:c7fe4e8915]But I suppose that contradicts what Graham said of him, assuming that old Legate was speaking of the same courier.[/spoiler:c7fe4e8915]

[spoiler:c7fe4e8915]Graham apparently didn't know what he was talking about though, since he claimed Ulysses was a Legionary while Ulysses seems to think that the Legion is deeply flawed. [/spoiler:c7fe4e8915]

He could be a Legionary while thinking the Legion is flawed, just like the Courier can help them and then stab them in the back.

Nah, his conversation with Christine made it pretty clear that he wasn't helping either the NCR or the Legion (or the BoS for that matter). He might have been infiltrating the Legion for some reason which could explain why Graham thought he was a Legionary, but he definitely isn't helping the Legion.

Someone pointed out that the battle in the Divide doesn't necesserally mean Ulysses and the Courier will fight, and I am inclined to agree. I mean, at this point, the player would be the scourge of at least one major nation, survived a villa seemingly designed from the ground up to kill anything nearing it, fought off technological monstrosities including a giant robotic scorpion, and could even have killed the legendary Burned Man. I don't see Ulysses putting up much of an epic fight and topping these off, unless he has loads of backup, which seems unlikely based on what we know of him and the kind of place we meet. It's possible that we will fight along him, side-by-side.

Other than that, I hope the DLC won't include illogically strong enemies. I mean, robots coming out of a state-of-the-art facility of mad SCIENCE! being tough to kill is OK, but tribals with anti-materiel rifles and more hit points than Centurions or Ranger veterans? There's a line to be drawn somewhere.

Yes, this 'scaling' goes against the logic of the original Fallouts, where a level 1 character could go say hello to hardened Enclave troopers with Gauss pistols, 100s of HP and legal authority to riddle you with holes.

I think the enemies (or possibly the allies) of this DLC will be the NCR soldiers who went missing going through the Divide on the way to Hoover Dam. Either that, or whatever sort of creatures they've become there.

Maybe they went "missing" there because they never wanted to leave? The Divide could turn out to have some sort of secret pre-war underground utopia buried beneath it.

Huxley did not write about Utopias. He wrote about dystopias, of which the wasteland already is one. A Huxley-dystopia would be an improvement over the current wasteland.

Courier said:
I think the enemies (or possibly the allies) of this DLC will be the NCR soldiers who went missing going through the Divide on the way to Hoover Dam. Either that, or whatever sort of creatures they've become there.

Maybe they went "missing" there because they never wanted to leave? The Divide could turn out to have some sort of secret pre-war underground utopia buried beneath it.

In relation, do you know what I want?

A new settlement in a DLC, like the Pitt in Fallout 3.

I would fucking love it, it would give me a very good reason to stick around rather than F off after I did everything and took everything of value.

What was there to do in the Pitt after you completed it? Even if you sided with the slaves, they just went back to acting like slaves.

Courier said:
A Huxley-dystopia would be an improvement over the current wasteland.
When I used the word 'utopia' I was referring to A Brave New World's seemingly brilliant World State utopia with a catch. A 'negative utopia' to use Huxley's own adage if you will, but a far cry from the Orwellian dystopia one typically associated with the word.

Courier said:
What was there to do in the Pitt after you completed it? Even if you sided with the slaves, they just went back to acting like slaves.
I always sided with the raiders.

Anyway, it's not really about what's there to do, I just greatly prefer city, town and settlement environments over wasteland ones.

Also, city, town and settlement environments are better for how I role-play.

Horus9k said:
When I used the word 'utopia' I was referring to A Brave New World's seemingly brilliant World State utopia with a catch.

Which by definition would be known as a "dystopia" or an "anti-utopia".

A 'negative utopia' to use Huxley's own adage if you will, but a far cry from the Orwellian dystopia one typically associated with the word.

Yes "Negative utopia", "Anti-utopia", and "counter-utopia" all describe it. Never the word "utopia" alone, for that implies a perfect society. Several dystopian worlds masquerade as utopias, such as in Brave New World and Harrison Bergeron.

Four Suited Jack said:
Also, city, town and settlement environments are better for how I role-play.

How can you role-play without anyone to talk to or anything to do?

Well that's why I used the quotations, to try and subtly imply a negative utopia. Your pedantry is unbecoming.

Mea culpa for using 'utopia' with scare quotes.

Mr Krepe said:
I think it would be cool if you could bring your companions who you have completed their quest for, then you meet Ulysses, lots of dialogue and conflict ensues. Turns out Ulysses wanted you at the Divide cos he knew you were an influential person so you would be able to gather help, and thus Ulysses joins your crew (temporarily of course) to stop said threat.

The reason I don't think this would be the case is that it becomes some sort of wasteland legend, again pointing to Dead Money's ending. I definitely don't expect a battle with words to be remembered or felt by the wasteland, though I suppose other possibilities are out there.

The Dutch Ghost said:
RRBM said:
I'm a little worried with the relatively minuscule voice cast, myself.

I wonder how that will work out.

Doesn't necessarily mean that the DLC will be devoid of story telling.
Not all stories require massive casts of characters to interact with, instead perhaps they will focus on really working out a core of characters during Lonesome Road, their personalities and motives.

Also, welcome to the NMA forums

For Lonesome Road less characters would be a good thing; including too many characters would draw out the narrative too much, especially considering it's supposed to focus on Ulysses and The Courier.

Just had a thought about Ulysses possibly masquerading as a Legion member: What if he infiltrated CL to gain access to the weather station at Fortification Hill? It makes sense considering his actions at Big MT. Throw in the obvious connection to the platinum chip and The Courier's involvement and the weather station might be another hidden in plain sight plot point, similar to the Old World flag at Victor's shack.

Ophiuchus said:
Just had a thought about Ulysses possibly masquerading as a Legion member: What if he infiltrated CL to gain access to the weather station at Fortification Hill? It makes sense considering his actions at Big MT. Throw in the obvious connection to the platinum chip and The Courier's involvement and the weather station might be another hidden in plain sight plot point, similar to the Old World flag at Victor's shack.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Maybe he knew Benny would ambush you and actually wanted him to for some reason? Perhaps hoping that Benny would deliver the chip straight to him at the weather station?

Ulysses's obsession with "Old World" lore may also fit in with this cowboy specualtion thing as cowboys were part of the American Old World

Yeah, I was thinking about this cowboy theme that people have been talking about, maybe that was why Ulysses lived in Goodsprings for a small amount of time; but I don't actually know when Goodsprings was founded so it's hard for me to tell on that one. I definitely believe that Ulysses believes in the possibility of the Old World coming back, evidence from OWB heavily suggests this, with Ulysses conversation with the scientists of the think tank and all that. Like his questions about how 'Nations could be made and broken', dangerous questions Klein had thought, which he was reluctant to answer.

@Infamous: Sunderland eh? England i'm guessing, if so i'm about 6 miles south of you.

Back